IGNORED

So Why Did The Club Travel Up

Never to the dark side

and stay in the CROYDON area overnight?

In these alledged cash strap days, I think it would have been 20 employees

of BCFC who went on the team coach and stayed overnight

I can understand staying overnight if the mileage justifies it,but to South London!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doubt they will be again after the break in.

I can understand staying overnight if the mileage justifies it,but to South London!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didnt know they did previously John, so thanks for highlighting it.

Probably more like 25 at least. Hotel and meal expenses probably came to 5 grand plus.

There's no such thing as a credit crunch when someone else is paying for it!!!!!

whats it got to do with you if they did, tell u what next week pick the team and do all the training schedules

The hotel bill would have been deducted from the gate recepits.. as is per the norm.

I guess it's better to have the whole morning preparing for the game than to be stuck on a stuffy coach... or maybe not in this case !

whats it got to do with you if they did, tell u what next week pick the team and do all the training schedules

A little bit nasty. It was a valid point with us losing money...

However I'm pretty sure its the norm these days for most teams to stay away the night before a match to save players getting to uncomfortable on the journey up, in case of accidents which will stop them arriving on time at the ground therefor disrupting all preperations.

Guest ashtonyate
The hotel bill would have been deducted from the gate recepits.. as is per the norm.

I guess it's better to have the whole morning preparing for the game than to be stuck on a stuffy coach... or maybe not in this case !

Also they could not be on the drink the night before or giving the Wife one.

A little bit nasty. It was a valid point with us losing money...

However I'm pretty sure its the norm these days for most teams to stay away the night before a match to save players getting to uncomfortable on the journey up, in case of accidents which will stop them arriving on time at the ground therefor disrupting all preperations.

i didnt mean to be nasty but its none of our business what the manager/club does on preparing for games , lets be fair johnsons probably pissed off with the supporters questioning his team selection never mind his travel arrangements for god sake

Not sure I understand that Tom, ultimately the bill has to be paid by someone - us the fans somewhere along the way.

I personally think this preparation thing is over-egged. Train all week, travel for game, play. What preparation is necessary by the Saturday morning that hasnt already happened during the week?

I can see that there is the danger of traffic jams and players arriving with stiff legs, but surely minimal. Leaving Ashton Gate 9.30, you'd struggle to arrive any later than one.

Not sure I understand that Tom, ultimately the bill has to be paid by someone - us the fans somewhere along the way.

I personally think this preparation thing is over-egged. Train all week, travel for game, play. What preparation is necessary by the Saturday morning that hasnt already happened during the week?

I can see that there is the danger of traffic jams and players arriving with stiff legs, but surely minimal. Leaving Ashton Gate 9.30, you'd struggle to arrive any later than one.

its funny that nearly every other club do this overhyped preparation thing who are proffessionals in this field and you are a fork lift driver / gardener / insurance clerk , or what ever job you do ( no slur on your occupation ) but you know better than all the managers

its funny that nearly every other club do this overhyped preparation thing who are proffessionals in this field and you are a fork lift driver / gardener / insurance clerk , or what ever job you do ( no slur on your occupation ) but you know better than all the managers

I don't know better. Never said I did.

Its called having an opinion.

Whats yours?

I'm a psychoanalyst by the way and my professional opinion is you need help.

The travel before matches has been an issue, for more than 40 years. I played in the old Aussie league at the same level as Nick Carle. Of course in those days we had regular day jobs and fitness levels were not the same. One of my managers was Sir Tom Finney, the old Preston star.

Just prior to the Aussie league, I was captain of the Australian Army eleven and we had a final against Navy at 3pm saturday. Our coach thought it necessary to drive us 2 hours south for a walk along the beach, then a 2 hour drive back, giving us 2 hours to kick off. We were thumped 7-2 despite having the better players and performances all season. Our team to a man declared that the 5 hour excursion in the morning had left them feeling flat.

This feeling was expressed many times over the next 20 years not only downunder but in the USA. Both countries are about 3000 miles across and 1500 miles North to South. As money , crowds and professionalism improved, so did air travel. You don't drive 3000 miles for a Sydney v Perth match or a New York v LA match.

City away to Carlisle, anywhere oop North has to be a Friday trip for a Saturday kick off. I drove from Bristol to East London during the summer and from there back to my nephews house in Kidderminster. One glitch on the road and there goes your day.

If I was GJ, I would have the team at the destination the day before hand unless we are less than an hour away. England is a small Island with way too much traffic. Our players need every advantage they can get if they have to travel, and a 3-5 hour coach trip does them no favours, nor the match result.

For the first time, I can't say I agree with you. Good preparation is crucial to a good team performance. (However on this ocassion, it didnt obviously work). In my experience, its not just the case that you turn up and play. Often long, boring but essential team meetings occur, players fitness and availibility checked, tactics are discussed, all occuring on the morning of the game. You may even sometimes train on the morning of the game if the coach/manager doesnt feel everyone is up to speed. All these things are therefore limited when you travel up on the day of the game but are easier to fulfill if you are only a half hour drive from the ground.

I think any match played at this level in profesional sport, travelling the day before the game is essential when travelling over an hour and half. Its not so much about being late or players getting stiff, its often more to do with making it as comfortable as you can, less stressful and completing some or all the things I suggest above. Managers and coaches don't like to break routine, and if they can keep it as close to the home match routine then they will be happy.

I think any match played at this level in profesional sport, travelling the day before the game is essential when travelling over an hour and half. Its not so much about being late or players getting stiff, its often more to do with making it as comfortable as you can, less stressful and completing some or all the things I suggest above. Managers and coaches don't like to break routine, and if they can keep it as close to the home match routine then they will be happy.

But if they travelled on the day and then had a training session - the players would be tired from this training session and have a terrible training session - making the team selection easier? does not make sense to me - but, what do i know - i've never been in professional sport!!

Archived