IGNORED

Louis Carey...

Loderingo

... was excellent today and showed us what we have been missing at the back. A key moment for me was in the 8th minute where Watford caught us on the break and the guy seemed to have got in a good shooting position. I was thinking here we go again but somehow Louis managed to get in a last ditch tackle to clear the ball wide.

Our defence as a whole had an awful lot of work to do tonight and while we showed a few moments of ropiness, I think it is a major step forward not to conceed any sloppy goals. Yes, there wasn't enough closing down for the Watford goal but it was still a quality finish which they had to work for (rather than being served up on a plate)

Bear in mind too that Watford looked a quality team who I would expect to move up the league from now onwards. In some ways, they can count themselves unlucky as if they'd played us with our previous defence then they might have won 3 or 4-1

While it's frustrating to drop points at home again, it was an improvement on Forest and Carey's and Maynard's performances at least have led to renewed hope for the Preston game.

Archived