IGNORED

Our Fans

tin

I've read with interest the posts on the forum in the last week or so with people's 'comments towards racism and now sexism.

I'm not condoning any of the 'Small Town In Asia' at Luton or 'Does Your Boyfriend Know Yer Here' chant vs Brighton. But I'm certainly not being offended as a lot of you are. I watched the Spurs-Arsenal game yesterday and the Arsenal fans were 'goading' the 'Yids' as a reference to the Jewish background Spurs have, but Spurs chant 'Yid Army'. Part and parcel of the game.

To me, any of this isn't offensive its banter and shouldn't be taken literally. Sorry if I'm offending anyone, like I said I dont condone it, but it's nothing for people to get their knickers in a twist about. 20 years ago it was alot worse than now with people chucking bananas on the field et al and racism/sexism being alot worse than it is now. It aint as bad as people are making out.

big fuss over nothing if u ask me.all that buissness with brighton was part and parcel of football,what the games all about.giving and recieving good natured banter. if some people cant take that i suggest they go and watch tiddlywinks on a saturday afternoon :@

Guest torquay red
big fuss over nothing if u ask me.all that buissness with brighton was part and parcel of football,what the games all about.giving and recieving good natured banter. if some people cant take that i suggest they go and watch tiddlywinks on a saturday afternoon :@
:clap: totally agree,football chants are just a **** take,meant as harmless fun,in the old days they were far more menacing!Some people need to take a chill pill!

people keep going on about the sh!te atmosphere at the gate, with all the pc people that are on this forum I'm amazed people even whisper for fear they may offend somebody. People do not take just take the ###### out of asians and gays, look at the stick the likes of holloway and cureton get, fat people, gingers, short, skinny, bald!!!! Some of the loudest songs ive ever heard at AG were directed at cureton for being a pedophile, does anybody really honestly think he is? no. i bet everybody has something that somebody else will use to take the mickey. people should just take it as a joke. If you dont like it then stay at home, nobody forces you to go to football matches.

Glad some other people feel the same as me. All these folk are gettin up on their high horses and criticising but where are they now? We dont live in a conservative lifestyle and shouldn't b worrying about homophobia or racism. People who do are maybe uncomfortable with their own sexulaity/race?! Load of buttcheeks if you ask me.

I agree it's a fine line and there has to be a degree of common sense. But in my mind there's a wide margin of difference between a tongue-in-cheek chant of "Does your boyfriend know you're here" and one or two of the hateful homophobic comments posted on this thread by some of Bristol City's finest [irony alert]. I notice some of them have now been removed.

Some people might find the first comment over the mark. I suggest it is at least debatable. However I would hope any life form no longer dependent on photosynthesis for survival would wish to dissociate themselves with some of the intolerant, uneducated rubbish spouted in this debate.

We are all entitled to our own opinions on the rights and wrongs of homosexual relationships, but that's not the issue. That is a world away from standing spitting bile and abuse to intimidate rival fans AND fellow City fans just because of their orientation. The Pope may be against gay sex, but can you really imagine him standing screaming hateful abuse at someone because of it?

As I said, I hope the stewards are instructed to seek out, expel and ban those fans who shout the sort of homophobic or racist comments which are clearly beyond the pale. Otherwise, silence may be seen as assent - and I hope our club has more class than that.

Guest weqprarebetterthanu
PC GONE MAD - thats all i have to say.
Tell me what is PC mean to you?????

its a phrase used by the press to have a go at anything which treats people with respect and dignity.There have been some very dubious things done in the name of equality but do not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Racist homophobic banter is the breeding ground for hatred and discrimination which end up often with violence and sometimes death.

One persons fun can be another persons misery .

Guest LeicesterRed

Racist homophobic banter is the breeding ground for hatred and discrimination which end up often with violence and sometimes death.

Thats very true.

You only have to look at the racist murders of Gavin Hopley in Oldham or Scott Parker in Peterborough to see racism in action.

This is what I mean though. It annoys me that people cant have a joke about these things anymore. Its more of a taboo subject now than before, probably since the pre-war era. Just because people partake in a bit of bant doesnt mean its going to escalate to violence and death.

I remember the visit of Bury a few seasons back, with Paddy Kenny in goal. We sang from the Atyeo 'Up the arse, o up the arse, Kenny takes it up the arse' and he enjoyed the bant, even responded and gave a bit back. He got a standing ovation from us. Obviously you're going to get the mindless biggots in society who do take things further but 99.9% of the time it doesnt happen.

Since Brighton is acknowledged as the gay capital of England its no surprise to hear of "gay" chants being directed at the brighton fans, but surely they know it'll happen and I don't think they'll be running off to their personal psychiatrists crying that they've been mentally scarred for life.

There is a big difference between banter and invective, and I think sometimes some people cannot tell the difference. Besides, the Brighton fans were chanting "sheep shaggers" towards us. Are we? Of course not, but again we took it in good heart.

I honestly think there are too many over-sensitive people around and the other thing that occurred to me is that the current vogue of slamming ANY non-PC talk has been jumped on by the verbal and social bullies who like to have a go at someone and if the state approves of slamming one group of people for anything these people like to have a go at them because they are safe in doing so. They themselves are not PC but they enjoy having a go for any reason at people who cannot shout back. Bullying.

Archived