IGNORED

Charlton Athletic .... something to aim for

headhunter

Who said the Prem is all about big clubs ?

Just look at what Charlton have achieved not only this season but over the past 10 + years.

I can remember going there with City when the ground had just reopened and was a tip and now it is a first class 30000 seat stadium in a residential area [just like AG could be]

They don't spend big money on players but their transfer dealings are certainly astute [not like City]

Why are they successful ? They have a manager in Curbishley who brings out the best in his players [unlike DW] and they too play for the"shirt" [unlike many in our squad].

There is NO reason why the achievements of Charlton cannot be matched by City - so what is holding us back ?

[ps - we think we have problems .... saw Villa on Sat and they were dire !]

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Charlton are certainly proof of how a club can progress without lashings of cash.

I have a feeling they used to have 2 managers at one time.

I'll always have a soft spot for Charlton, they were the first club I ever saw City play

Guest Red_Rat

Yeh Charlton are the prime example..but we're already a team considered to be too big for our division.And our fan-base is probably bigger than charltons anyway,they only took 200 fans to southampton.In terms of club size apart from the division difference we're just as big a club than theirs.

Charlton are a role model for clubs like ours.Saw quite a bit of them about 18 years ago when living in South London. Lennie Lawrence was manager,Aizlewood patroled midfield,Robert Lee was just starting out,Jim Melrose grabbed the goals,Steve Gritt was Mr Loyalty & Ralph Milne was confusing all around.The Charlton fans were faithful & patient especially considering that their then home was Selhurst Park and the bigger ego boys of Crystal Palace.

Have always felt they have tried to play in a very honest way maximising their somewhat limited resources.Their work ethic is key to their success,certainly could provide us with some valued learning.Interesting to note that they have had less managerial change in 20 years than any other club?

One thing though,never buy a second-hand car from Curbishley..........how on earth he could keep a straight face whilst selling a striker who had scored one goal in 25 games for 300k remains a modern day mystery....only Pulis has that answer!

One thing though,never buy a second-hand car from Curbishley..........how on earth he could keep a straight face whilst selling  a striker who had scored one goal in 25 games for 300k remains a modern day mystery....only Pulis has that answer!

... or indeed a 31 yr old midfielder who'd only played 230-odd league games due to constant injury problems! :wacko:

I used to hate Charlton so much after they knocked us out the FA Cup in the 90's when we had drawn Man Utd away at Old Trafford in the next round. I must say Alan Curbishly has done fantastic, he gets linked with almost every big club but he still sticks with Charlton and has taken them from a nobody to one to fear. Some one on the radio was talking about them yesterday and they have just announced to expand their stadium to 40,000 which in the early 90's was a stadium with capacity of just over 4,000

Archived