IGNORED

Ashton Gate

reddogkev

Morning my fellow BCFC fanatics,

Just a quick thank you to everyone who has responded to this thread, there have been some very good comments and interesting pieces of feedback, which will all be collated as valuable ideas / suggestions.

Just to update you, today I will be sending my first correspondence to Mr S Lansdown to outline the proposal and gather his initial thoughts on the plan and whether a project like this is practical. Of course, the project will have to be managed with the full consent of BCFC, as the stadium will maintain the club logo, and the link to the club will never be severed.

I can envisage a day where BCFC players attend the stadium, to help with grand tours and special themed days.

This is to take nothing away from the new stadium, which will be equally valuable to the future of BCFC.

I will inform you when I have a response from Mr Lansdown, or Mr Sexton.

On another note, I do not believe we would have to finance the full £20,000000, which remains an estimated figure, as a purchase on some type of credit scheme may be possible - with a considerble down payment, of course.

Here are some of my ideas for the future use of Ashton Gate:

* Fully guided tours, including a chance to score on the pitch

* Commercial pitch hire - a chance for corporations to play the match of their lives, and what a way to entertain their clients!

* The creation of a BCFC museum.

* A restaurant in the Williams Stand

* Part of the Dolman Hall to remain open as a bar

* A section of the Williams Stand leased as office space - generating significant income

* A BCFC cinema - showing famous matches, interviews, etc

* A chapel to be used for weddings, with the reception parties also held in the ground

* School trips, we would be happy to cater for school groups wishing to live the history of BCFC.

* There is even scope to convert part of the stadium into luxury apartments, without altering the exterior

design of the ground. Imagine having the chance to live in the Atyeo, or a converted part of the East End!

Any comments, are always welcome.

If the scheme proves to be viable, then a website will be created.

Regards,

Kevin.

The AG 2012 Group.

I think / know the operation and maintainaince costs would kill this plan dead - If it's nostalgia you are looking for then Highbury Square has to be the Blueprint for redevelopment, I hate arsenal but you have to admit that was a good idea and loads of supporters were buyijng apartments in the place their seat was - cool

Just a quick thank you to everyone who has responded to this thread, there have been some very good comments and interesting pieces of feedback, which will all be collated as valuable ideas / suggestions.

Just to update you, today I will be sending my first correspondence to Mr S Lansdown to outline the proposal and gather his initial thoughts on the plan and whether a project like this is practical. Of course, the project will have to be managed with the full consent of BCFC, as the stadium will maintain the club logo, and the link to the club will never be severed.

I can envisage a day where BCFC players attend the stadium, to help with grand tours and special themed days.

This is to take nothing away from the new stadium, which will be equally valuable to the future of BCFC.

On another note, I do not believe we would have to finance the full £20,000000, which remains an estimated figure, as a purchase on some type of credit scheme may be possible - with a considerble down payment, of course.

* Commercial pitch hire - a chance for corporations to play the match of their lives, and what a way to entertain their clients!

* A section of the Williams Stand leased as office space - generating significant income

* A chapel to be used for weddings, with the reception parties also held in the ground

* School trips, we would be happy to cater for school groups wishing to live the history of BCFC.

* There is even scope to convert part of the stadium into luxury apartments, without altering the exterior

design of the ground. Imagine having the chance to live in the Atyeo, or a converted part of the East End!

Regards,

Kevin.

The AG 2012 Group.

You do realise that all that is possible - PLUS, keep the actual Bristol City matches there as well?

That way, saving the cost of a new stadium altogether.

Put that to Mr S Lansdown, I cant see how he can turn it down.

In fact, that sounds like such a good investment I reckon he would even put in one of the £500's you need.

..it's about time the Evenin' Post gotta hold of this, I can see the headlines & report already -

Audacious Consortium Bid For Ashton Gate Plan Revealed - exclusive.

A mysterious group of local entrepreneurs are believed to be in talks aimed at preserving the soon to be vacated home of Bristol City Football Club.

They believe wide ranging plans for the old stadium, thought to include a museum, cinema, restaurant, wedding chapel, burger bar, dog grooming facilities, ice cream parlour, a 'bungee-jump experience' from the Dolman roof & an Evenin' Post newspaper stand can be combined to preserve the rare traditional football ground for enthusiasts. 'It is exactly what Bristol needs to become a major West Country Tourist Attraction,' they claimed.. 'this is our dream, our vision this is Bristol your City.' Plans are at an early stage says a spokeman, 'we believe we're onto a winner with this multi-million pound project, in fact we are confident that with the right backing within as little as three years visitors will be flocking to the old stadium from as far afield as Slimbridge. Our business plan is almost completed and as soon as it is you can rest assured our application to BBC's Dragons Den will be in the post.'

Meanwhile, The Post has been out and about talking to people in Bristols Cabot Gallery Shopping Centre about the plans, heres what you had to say...

'... wow, this could be big news for the area, reminds me of when they bought the SS Great Britain home to Bristol nothings impossible, good on 'em.. will they be doing poodles? '

'... seems like a bit of a dream to me,' said self confessed train spotter Billy from the Bitton area 'but anythings possible just look what we've achieved with our dream for instance, we're chuffed to bits, go for it.. if it happens I'd go down there & buy an ice cream or two for me & the mrs, don't know about the bungee jumping though - I would'nt wanna go off the rails at my time of life' concluded an out of puff Bill.

One local celebrity, actor, TV personality & well known football supporter (wishes to remain unnamed) said 'hmm, I think we should probe a bit deeper & see what we can dig up before getting too excited you never know what might be below the surface waiting to be revealed, its an interesting prospect though, but I want to know more before drawing conclusions and commenting further at this stage. I must say it does strike me as being possibly a bit of a cunning plan. I'm intrigued, but would like to give the consortiums team time to come up with a few definate findings first.'

International interest has it appears also be shown, we we're contacted by Doris Stokes a rare medium who told us of...

An old US cival rights campainer who said 'I too once 'had a dream' ... 'I'll second that' said a dead Kennedy who also said 'Ich bin ein Berliner' which translates as 'Ooh arrh I be a Bristolian... Both men said they're with us in spirit.

A consortium spokesman said ... 'we always believed that this project stood more than a ghost of a chance, thats the proof, just you wait til the Dragons hear about this!'

So will the final whistle be blown soon at Ashton Gate or will it just be signifying extra-time for the old stadium of dreams?.... well, if the online forums which are with filled with positive comments and almost unanimous support for the idea are anything to go by we could all be swinging on the end of elastic ropes before you can say Tony Robinson. :)

..it's about time the Evenin' Post gotta hold of this, I can see the headlines & report already -

Audacious Consortium Bid For Ashton Gate Plan Revealed - exclusive.

A mysterious group of local entrepreneurs are believed to be in talks aimed at preserving the soon to be vacated home of Bristol City Football Club.

They believe wide ranging plans for the old stadium, thought to include a museum, cinema, restaurant, wedding chapel, burger bar, dog grooming facilities, ice cream parlour, a 'bungee-jump experience' from the Dolman roof & an Evenin' Post newspaper stand can be combined to preserve the rare traditional football ground for enthusiasts. 'It is exactly what Bristol needs to become a major West Country Tourist Attraction,' they claimed.. 'this is our dream, our vision this is Bristol your City.' Plans are at an early stage says a spokeman, 'we believe we're onto a winner with this multi-million pound project, in fact we are confident that with the right backing within as little as three years visitors will be flocking to the old stadium from as far afield as Slimbridge. Our business plan is almost completed and as soon as it is you can rest assured our application to BBC's Dragons Den will be in the post.'

Meanwhile, The Post has been out and about talking to people in Bristols Cabot Gallery Shopping Centre about the plans, heres what you had to say...

'... wow, this could be big news for the area, reminds me of when they bought the SS Great Britain home to Bristol nothings impossible, good on 'em.. will they be doing poodles? '

'... seems like a bit of a dream to me,' said self confessed train spotter Billy from the Bitton area 'but anythings possible just look what we've achieved with our dream for instance, we're chuffed to bits, go for it.. if it happens I'd go down there & buy an ice cream or two for me & the mrs, don't know about the bungee jumping though - I would'nt wanna go off the rails at my time of life' concluded an out of puff Bill.

One local celebrity, actor, TV personality & well known football supporter (wishes to remain unnamed) said 'hmm, I think we should probe a bit deeper & see what we can dig up before getting too excited you never know what might be below the surface waiting to be revealed, its an interesting prospect though, but I want to know more before drawing conclusions and commenting further at this stage. I must say it does strike me as being possibly a bit of a cunning plan. I'm intrigued, but would like to give the consortiums team time to come up with a few definate findings first.'

International interest has it appears also be shown, we we're contacted by Doris Stokes a rare medium who told us of...

An old US cival rights campainer who said 'I too once 'had a dream' ... 'I'll second that' said a dead Kennedy who also said 'Ich bin ein Berliner' which translates as 'Ooh arrh I be a Bristolian... Both men said they're with us in spirit.

A consortium spokesman said ... 'we always believed that this project stood more than a ghost of a chance, thats the proof, just you wait til the Dragons hear about this!'

So will the final whistle be blown soon at Ashton Gate or will it just be signifying extra-time for the old stadium of dreams?.... well, if the online forums which are with filled with positive comments and almost unanimous support for the idea are anything to go by we could all be swinging on the end of elastic ropes before you can say Tony Robinson. :)

Me thinks you've eaten a nasty pasty :winner_third_h4h:

i suggest you step outside for the day and u will realise that there is a credit crunch going on and that you have more chance of digging up red rum and him winning the national next year than you have of raising this ammount of money!

any bank lender would laugh at the idea of spending 20 million on a project where after the 1st 3 months (when everyone has visited) it would then sit and end up in a right state!

where would runinmg costs come from? who would pay the electric and heating(gas bills) who would pay the counci tax on the gate??

never going to get of the ground this one matey

ashton gate (if we move ) will be used to fund the new ground.

it has already been stated if we did raise that kind of money i would rather see it go on players to try and get us to the promised land!

Me thinks you've eaten a nasty pasty :winner_third_h4h:

...funnily enough RLL, I did partake of a pasty rather late last night :)

(now, if RDK incorporated a pasty making plant into his plans for Ashton Gate with an 'Eat As Much As You Like' Pasty Emporium (eat stood up or seated facility) he could be onto a recipe for success!)

Bring it on - PastyGate lives! :englandsmile4wf:

...couple it with an Eat Now Pay Later deal, everyone could enjoy relief from the credit crunch & experience the Pasty Gate 'Credit Munch'.

Morning all, I have been mulling over an idea for the past few months, and I think it is time to get something up and running. I believe it would a crying shame to allow our stadium to disappear when the new stadium is completed; leaving Ashton Gate to become nothing more then a very fond memory and a crucial piece of BCFC history (key word = history).

Why does this have to happen?

After seeing many other famous stadiums demolished and lost forever, such as Highbury, I reckon it is time we try to halt this trend and seek to purchase the stadium for private ownership, when of course, the new stadium is fully functional (approx 2012).

I propose we initiate a consortium, comprised of an unlimited number of BCFC fans, who would then all become members of the new company. We need to attempt to raise enough funds to enable us to buy the stadium from Ashton Gate Ltd. At a conservative estimate, a net figure of £20,000000 may be required for such a task.

This may sound a daunting, nigh on impossible figure, but if enough backers could be found, coupled with the financial support of the consortium members, it may be possible. Besides, we have 3 years to accumulate this amount.

If each consortium member was able to donate just £500 (a small amount when you consider the prize), then we would raise the minimum £20,000000 with only 40,000 members. Of course, this isn't taking into consideration those city fans of a more wealthy status, who may back the scheme with a higher outlay.

What happens then?

Well, if we succeed in purchasing the stadium, Ashton Gate would remain open as an iconic memory to the first 100 years of BCFC. Of course there would be continual operational costs, such as administration, ground maintenance, staff salary etc.

However we could certainly use the stadium as a source of income, with revenue incoming through various means that would have to be agreed at a later date. The venue would be available to hire, maybe corporate games could be played on the AG pitch, for as much as £5,000 per game. Also, one of the stands would be developed as a museum to BCFC, and the stadium itself would be used as a tourist attraction, with a minimal admission cost.

As you can see, this would be a unique opportunity to retain Ashton Gate, as a memory and still a viable commodity, without letting the ground be torn down and developed into apartments / homes, which will surely happen.

If you support this idea, then drop your comments, and perhaps, if enough of us are interested, we can form the relevant consortium, gather the financial backing, and manage the campaign effectively.

This is just a basic idea at this stage, and as yet, the only financial support is my own. Perhaps, if interest in this does grow, then we could open a separate forum to discuss the topic. I see no reason why we have to be wealthy businessmen to consider such an opportunity, through unity and strength in numbers, why can't we finance such an audacious move?

Thanks for your time, and remember, this could be the start of something big, bold, exciting and inspiring.

Kevin.

tha would be amazing :laugh: i woud do that but here is now way it would ever happen.. just imagine owning AG

shotgun EE:D :englandsmile4wf:

Regards,

Kevin.

The AG 2012 Group.

Romantic stuff:- a BRISTOL CITY Theme Park. But surely many of the facilitites mentioned can and should be incorporated within the Ashton Vale Stadium

Still, I understand that there is another team in Bristol , who have been nomadic for some time, might welcome the opportunity of getting a proper home.

All that would be required would be several hundred gallons of blue paint. (surprised nobody's mentioned it !)

Archived