IGNORED

Gary From The Block(s)

samo

OK, so Preston away was our 20th game of the season, making it the end of our 2nd 'block-of-ten', which we all know Gary likes to use as a barometer of our achivements.

... snippage ...

With 8 points less and 3 fewer wins under our belts it is obvious that, whilst not being anywhere near relegation form, we are distinctly average in the results department this season. Consistant (13 points both blocks, exactly the same number of wins/losses/draws) but average.

However...

One other way I've been looking at things is fixture-by-fixture, i.e. comparing Preston away 07/08 with Preston away 08/09. This has made interesting reading;

... snippage ...

Results over same 20 fixtures 07/08 = same points

Clearly we are not playing well this year (we all saw yesterday, I'm making no excuses for that) but it is telling that if you look at things fixture-by-fixture we aren't failing to live up to last year's standards, we are just matching them and no better.

It's just data, but I hope you find it interesting.

Yes, interesting - so too the following facts:

1. Last season's return was made up of 2pts per match for the first 13 matches plus 48pts from the last 33 (1.45ppm)
  2. This season's form is 1.30ppm so the trend has continued downwards
  3. We've not beaten a team higher than 16th in the current table

Provided there is no dramatic change (for better or worse) this trend suggests a points tally of between 56 and 64 for a mid-table finish. That wouldn't be a disaster but it is somewhat frustrating to think how much higher we could be for want of a bit more composure in front of goal.

Yes, interesting - so too the following facts:

1. Last season's return was made up of 2pts per match for the first 13 matches plus 48pts from the last 33 (1.45ppm)
  2. This season's form is 1.30ppm so the trend has continued downwards
  3. We've not beaten a team higher than 16th in the current table

Provided there is no dramatic change (for better or worse) this trend suggests a points tally of between 56 and 64 for a mid-table finish. That wouldn't be a disaster but it is somewhat frustrating to think how much higher we could be for want of a bit more composure in front of goal.

Anything in front of goal would be nice.

Archived