IGNORED

What Kind Of Player Was Gj?

bristolcitysweden

Read an article somewhere saying he struggled in English youth/reserve team Football due to its physical nature but did a lot better in Scandanavia where there was a far greater emphases on technical ability, pass + move Football etc.

Have a feeling he played central midfield and like above was a good passer of the ball, if not the strongest physically.

His name was Gary.

He was a midfielder for Fulham youth team then signed for Watford not sure if he played, trained with Malmo but never played a competitive match there, all the best managers were not great footballers, look at Fergie, he was crap.

Where did you get the information from?

Like Sven-Göran Eriksson he sure got the gift to make players feel confident which, in my opinion, is what being a manager is all about.

Eriksson coulden't play himself.

He was a midfielder for Fulham youth team then signed for Watford not sure if he played, trained with Malmo but never played a competitive match there, all the best managers were not great footballers, look at Fergie, he was crap.

Three questions:

Malmö FF lost to Forest in the European Cup final,

1) Who crossed?

2) Who scored?

3) Who was in goal for Malmö FF?

It wasen't easy for GJ to to make it at Malmö FF to be honest..

Three questions:

Malmö FF lost to Forest in the European Cup final,

1) Who crossed?

2) Who scored?

3) Who was in goal for Malmö FF?

It wasen't easy for GJ to to make it at Malmö FF to be honest..

1. Martin O'Neill

2. Trevor Francis

3. Jan Moeller

Where did you get the information from?

Like Sven-Göran Eriksson he sure got the gift to make players feel confident which, in my opinion, is what being a manager is all about.

Eriksson coulden't play himself.

Hmmm, nothing about his playing career on wiki, although that's hardly surprising.

Dunno actually, think someone told me or i read it somewhere, cant honestly say if its gospel or not would need to ask GJ

Heh, I'm not sure Eriksson is a manager who commands the dressing room like GJ does, i think Eriksson lets his assistants do the pre match speeches?, but as a tactician, Sven is among the best.

Hmmm, nothing about his playing career on wiki, although that's hardly surprising.

Dunno actually, think someone told me or i read it somewhere, cant honestly say if its gospel or not would need to ask GJ

Heh, I'm not sure Eriksson is a manager who commands the dressing room like GJ does, i think Eriksson lets his assistants do the pre match speeches?, but as a tactician, Sven is among the best.

Don't think he is a tactician. A good manager should keep his mouth shot and let the players do the business.

A good friend of mine has got a medal ending 5th with Sweden in the World Cup in Handboll during the 80's.

He was the playmaker. The manager had absolutely no influence. The players individual skills did it. Nothing else.

Great knowledge! : :englandsmile4wf:

I said O'Neill because i thought the cross was from the right, but i can now remember it from the left so yes i got that wrong, that would of been Robertson, Francis rolled onto a shot putt tarmac area after heading the ball.

Forest team?

Shilton

Burns

Clark

McGovern

Needham

Lloyd

Gemmell

O'Neill

Withe

Francis

Robertson

A few might be wrong but surprised i can remember that far back.

I said O'Neill because i thought the cross was from the right, but i can now remember it from the left so yes i got that wrong, that would of been Robertson, Francis rolled onto a shot putt tarmac area after heading the ball.

Forest team?

Shilton

Burns

Clark

McGovern

Needham

Lloyd

Gemmell

O'Neill

Withe

Francis

Robertson

sure that was the side that played.

Did you really know that entire team or was there a teeny hint of Wiki-ing there, Brizred? ;)

Forest team?

Shilton

Burns

Clark

McGovern

Needham

Lloyd

Gemmell

O'Neill

Withe

?

?

A few might be wrong but surprised i can remember that far back

Francis

Robertson

sure that was the side that played.

A few of you might remember a young Robert Prytz (-60) playing for Malmö? Later played for Rangers (82-86) among others.

GJ was a tough tackling, in yer face midfielder never shirking a challenge, with a defence splitting pass his speciality.

He possessed an eye for goal and was extremely popular with his team mates.

Made a point of never passing back or sideways preferring to juggle the ball untill a pass was on. Took a lot of free kicks, corners etc. but was always prepared to let others have a go, to vary the play.

Insisted on taking his share of substitutions to foster team spirit.

In short (no pun intended) he was what we could do with now.

Archived