IGNORED

Time For Youth?

mozo

Okay, so last season you could understand Johnson sticking to the senior players because we were battling for promotion.

Whilst the boss will say we still are right now, this season is unlikely to end in a play-off chase, and the senior players are contributing very little (in fact, they can't win games).

So...our young guns are only going to be ready for this level if we choose the right time to blood them. To me, this is the time: there is minimal pressure in terms of league position, and the senior boys aren't up to scratch.

How about Maynard is joined by Akinde, Wilson, and a couple of star performers from the academy?

The youth will get their chance when Gary feels its right!

i am up for them having their chance! wilson is starting to get his now. i think its a real shame ribiero got injured

because now Bradley has decided he is leaving he would be playing now. however saying that i also felt before he

got injured he was pushing Bradley all the way!

lukebcfc

I agree in principle that we need to introduce more young players. However, is it simply true that what we have at the club isn't good enough? I' d really have expected Plummer and Artus to have played a bit more in League 2 if they were.

Regarding timing, I don't think it's a great time to introduce them, I just feel when you're in bit of a hole, you have to rely on the experienced pros to get you up the table.

And without wishing to start a huge new debate about the worth of the Academy, I'd have expected to see 'quality' players coming through it by now. As a few others have said, I wonder if the money would be better spent on improving our scouting network and possibly nicking young players from other clubs like we used to years ago.

I seem to recall that Martin Scott and Rob Edwards came to us like that.

Wilson looks like he's going to get more games this season after the southampton game, but at the moment, in McCombe, Carey and Fontaine he's going to have to wait for his chance and is now 4th choice defender over Webster, which is what Keogh and Vasko have been in recent seasons so will be getting games to cover injuries and suspensions, he might also fill in now and again for Wilson at right back, he's done well at Brentford and his time will come again.

Akinde for me, I possibly wouldn't start until April/May, he's looked good, fresh and bright coming off the bench, however his start against Sheff U showed his not ready for regularly action.

Tristian Plummer is still 18, I thought he would have started more games at Luton however it did show that although technically he maybe good, he's just not strong enough yet, he's going to be like Wilson last season, almost ready for games, but needs to put on some weight and build up like the growth sprut James Wilson had.

Riberio when fit will be back in contention no doubt.

Artus however is an interesting one, he didn't really get a look in at Brentford which I must say is concerning, he did have a couple of injuries but even on return barely saw any action, in the end neither party wanted to extend his spell, think he will get a conference long move after Jan, which will be the make or break of his City career, if he doesn't impress at that level, he has no long term chance at City.

apart from those, I don't think there is anyone else who can even be considered for first team football.

I'm afraid the kids we have aint good enough , there seems to be somthing wrong with our academy , they sem to be excellent at 14,15,16 then as soon as its 17,18,19,first team football time they don't seem to come through , 2 years ago they were saying artus this plummer that , but the pair of them have gone backwards

I'm afraid the kids we have aint good enough , there seems to be somthing wrong with our academy , they sem to be excellent at 14,15,16 then as soon as its 17,18,19,first team football time they don't seem to come through , 2 years ago they were saying artus this plummer that , but the pair of them have gone backwards

That always happens with Youngsters the truth of the matter is if you get one youngster from each age group through to your first team then the club/academy is doing well

That always happens with Youngsters the truth of the matter is if you get one youngster from each age group through to your first team then the club/academy is doing well

True, academys to be fair are usless if you look at how many players up and down the country make it through you would only be talking about a handfull from each club maybe even less in some cases.

The vast majority of 10 to 17 year olds at bristol city academy wont make the grade in proffesional football let alone make it to championhsip level, IMO Riberio and Wilson will be the only real contenders with maybe Jordan Walker getting a shout at some stage. The rest wont make it, Artus is know 20 and at the age there is no more time for excuses he HAS to start producing know. Plummer should still be given a bit more time but again he is 18 and in the modern game at that age you have to start showing some signs of first team ability and at the moment he is WELL off the pace.

I don't know whol else we have coming through, i liked the look of Marlon Jackson but again there is no way he could handle competitive championship football.

True, academys to be fair are usless if you look at how many players up and down the country make it through you would only be talking about a handfull from each club maybe even less in some cases.

The vast majority of 10 to 17 year olds at bristol city academy wont make the grade in proffesional football let alone make it to championhsip level, IMO Riberio and Wilson will be the only real contenders with maybe Jordan Walker getting a shout at some stage. The rest wont make it, Artus is know 20 and at the age there is no more time for excuses he HAS to start producing know. Plummer should still be given a bit more time but again he is 18 and in the modern game at that age you have to start showing some signs of first team ability and at the moment he is WELL off the pace.

I don't know whol else we have coming through, i liked the look of Marlon Jackson but again there is no way he could handle competitive championship football.

I would have thought the year 2 boys will be told if they have a pro deal or not very soon there are several that have done well this year just depends on GJ deciding the ones he wants in his squad next season,favourites for a contract would be

Kingston,Edwards,Wilkinson.Stambolovich,Jackson and Walker may get another year

Not sure what will happen to Artus and Plummer at the end of the season as there contracts come to and end at the gate

Okay, so last season you could understand Johnson sticking to the senior players because we were battling for promotion.

Whilst the boss will say we still are right now, this season is unlikely to end in a play-off chase, and the senior players are contributing very little (in fact, they can't win games).

So...our young guns are only going to be ready for this level if we choose the right time to blood them. To me, this is the time: there is minimal pressure in terms of league position, and the senior boys aren't up to scratch.

How about Maynard is joined by Akinde, Wilson, and a couple of star performers from the academy?

:noexpression: We`re only 5 points off the play-offs for gods sake! And it`s too early to say we`re unlikely to challenge for the play-offs. If we were bottom of the league with 17 points (Charlton`s position and points total now) then i`d agree it`d be unlikely for us to challenge for the play-offs and focus our efforts on battling relegation. It`s also too harsh to say the senior players can`t win us the games.

None of our young players are good enough currently to play regularly in the first team. Better served building experience out on loan. If they were.. they`d have been playing for us now. The young players have shown nothing so far to suggest they`d do better than what our first team regulars are doing.

Akinde, Wilson, players like that are our back-up players currently and still got a bit more to do to become first team regulars.

Possibly due to a lack of opportunities. It is hard to progress if you are limited to reserve team football, without even a chance of making the bench. The key to a successful Academy is to have a smaller first team squad, with Academy players as cover.

I'm afraid the kids we have aint good enough

Akinde is cetainly a good enough player to be playing for us. He came from Ebbsfleet and has scored 1 goal in two games. Then suddenly he has just disappeared from view. We know he can score goals as he has showed in the first team and reserves so why isn't he being played or even being put on the bench.

Akinde is cetainly a good enough player to be playing for us. He came from Ebbsfleet and has scored 1 goal in two games. Then suddenly he has just disappeared from view. We know he can score goals as he has showed in the first team and reserves so why isn't he being played or even being put on the bench.

he's disapperared again because although he did well against plymouth in his sub role, against Sheffield Utd he did look totally out of his depth, with a player like Akinde who's only played non-league and is as young as him, it's going to be more of a season of learning for him, he'll get the brief runs from the bench, but we have too many other forwards ahead of him who are simply BETTER PLAYERS.

Archived