IGNORED

Academy Tonight

Port Said Red

I have decided to go to see the Academy at QPR tonight, it's only 2 stops on the tube from the hotel I am in so it seems to good a chance to miss.

I'll post a report on here when I get back if you like, but I can't promise to know all the names etc.

Hopefully Robins72 will keep me updated with scored from Portman road durin the game. :fingerscrossed:

Ok so it's 2 days late but lets face it a lot's happened since I posted this and I haven't had the online access necessary to make good my promise. I still think it's worthwhile posting this though.

The city youth team started with a team full of players that I didn't know at all, I assume that some of those names are 1st year students but I can't be sure as I am not a regular academy watcher.

The team was, Tom Bradley GK, Chris Williams RB, Daryn Henessey LB, Nick Dunn and Luke Wilkinson CB. Joe Lennox RM, George Boon LM, Ashley Kington and Joe Edwards CM, Robbie Stambolsiv and Marlon Jackson up front.

The game started quietly with no sign of the excitement to follow, QPR probably had the best of the opening 20 minutes. The only incident of note was when the referee insisted that MJ should go to the sidelines and take off his lycra undershorts!

For me the most disappointing performance was that of AK, whom I have seen before and really rated, on this night he struggled to find his own players very frequently. Around 20 minutes Stambolsiev started to drop deeper and from that point on ran the game from the City point of view. Easily the best player in a red shirt on view, he led the line, used the ball well and always looked a threat.

City finished the half stronger, creating 4 or 5 half chances and dominating possession. Even then though, QPR showed that they had a couple of good players themselves, A left back called Ilesanmi a striker called Germain and, pick of the bunch, Josh Parker on the wing. I was told by one of the locals that he was equally happy on either wing, but probably better on the left. I had reason to remember that after the game....

For the most part he was controlled by Henessey, a right footed player playing left back (how short of left backs are we at this club?).

Half time and QPR had a chance immediately from the kick off, parker firing wide when he should have done better. After that it was all City. Jackson won a free kick on the right hand side of the penalty area about 25 yards out. To my surprise, RS (a good header of the ball) took the free kick, but I soon saw why when he whipped in a great ball leftfooted which LW met McCombe style to make it 1-0. two minutes later RS scored with a header himself after great work from the increasingly impressive Lennox.

Soon it was 3-0 as Lennox was set free by AK to fire through the goalkeeper from 12 yards. Cruising!

QPR reaction seemed desperate, taking off a defender to bring on another wide right player and move Parker to the left wing. It changed the game completely. He immediately took on CW, cut inside and scored, 1-3. MJ went off with a Hamstring to be replaced by Tom Andrews but still things didn't seem to bad. Three minutes later Parker scored again, after good work by Germain. Within 5 minutes Germain scored and the comeback was complete.

Despite City nearly scoring in the last minute from another RS free kick which was headed against the post by a QPR defender, QPR had their tails up.

Within five minutes of the extra time perion Parker completed his hat trick with a stunning goal. Picking the ball up on the halfway line he ran the full back, cut inside and hammered a shot in the top corner from 30 yards. A different class and worth the admission fee 4 times over.

Five minutes from the end Germain got his 2nd against a very tired looking City defence. RS was sent off for a second booking at the end and the night was complete.

I am sure that City will be doubly upset, not only because of the nature of the result but also because QPR don't have a recognised academy set up which must be disappointing.

Stambolsiev was easily our man of the match and Joe Lennox was a willing runner and showed some good stuff right to the death. AK didn't really start playing until Extra time, but by then it was too late.

Josh Parker will be a name to remember I am absolutely sure.

Archived