IGNORED

Life Goes On - But Gj Is Making Errors

Markman

can't say I have been saying this for 2 years like AY - but many of us have seen the writing on the wall for a long time and have been concerned and worried (expressed on here) - the performances just have not been there and yet the same old replies come back on here "GJ is the best manager ever" "he is full time - he knows more than you" "if you knew so much you would be a manager" etc etc

today GJ states "We need to improve the squad - I think it is fair to say that" "The Chairman agrees and so do the Coaching Staff" - this is all quoted in the WDP.

It is also what many of us saw months ago and yet got the comments alluded to above thrown at them - so does this mean we would be better Managers and we do know more than GJ?

No - but it does mean many supporters and GJ himself seem to have finally taken the rose coloured spectacles off and if so we just might move forward again.

January is going to be a big test for GJ - for me the Jury is out - I hope he can change it - I am not certain he will be able to though

can't say I have been saying this for 2 years like AY - but many of us have seen the writing on the wall for a long time and have been concerned and worried (expressed on here) - the performances just have not been there and yet the same old replies come back on here "GJ is the best manager ever" "he is full time - he knows more than you" "if you knew so much you would be a manager" etc etc

today GJ states "We need to improve the squad - I think it is fair to say that" "The Chairman agrees and so do the Coaching Staff" - this is all quoted in the WDP.

It is also what many of us saw months ago and yet got the comments alluded to above thrown at them - so does this mean we would be better Managers and we do know more than GJ?

No - but it does mean many supporters and GJ himself seem to have finally taken the rose coloured spectacles off and if so we just might move forward again.

January is going to be a big test for GJ - for me the Jury is out - I hope he can change it - I am not certain he will be able to though

Good post mark....agree with that.

And that is the main worry going on past attempts :noexpression:

A manager has absolutely nothing to do with what's happening on the pitch. Not more than he is picking the team. It's up to the players good will to performe and if they as a collective feel they are harshly treated they don't perform. Simple as that.

Guest Red Nee Tot
A manager has absolutely nothing to do with what's happening on the pitch. Not more than he is picking the team. It's up to the players good will to performe and if they as a collective feel they are harshly treated they don't perform. Simple as that.

That may be your opinion -- But i believe the manager has a lot to do with whats happening on the pitch. Ok it is not his fault if someone missplaces a pass or the goalie lets in a goal. But surely he's the guy who advises the formation the way they play and he surely is the guy shouting out instructions throughout the match. If they are not performing collectively as they feel hard done by -- Well thats a different story altogether. Time for either them or him to leave.

I've already thrown my toys out of the pram about the sale of Nick Carle to our fierce rivals Palarse. Probably the worst mistake made so far during Gary Johnson's tenure. Like his lookalike - Napoleon - I still truely believe Gary Johnson to be an excellent General.

Napoleon pensive after the battle of Shitswich......

1fk-160-a1814-c.jpg

The manager decides what formation and what tactics are etc so therefore has everything to do with whats going on, on the pitch; also buys/selects the players on ability and attitude; he is failing on all counts at the moment hence our position.

Players have not been bought because of their attitude and ability to knit in with the managers current dressing room.

He has yet to sign a proven striker at this level Maynard and Akinde being "for the future" . :tumbleweed:

The manager decides what formation and what tactics are etc so therefore has everything to do with whats going on, on the pitch; also buys/selects the players on ability and attitude; he is failing on all counts at the moment hence our position.

Players have not been bought because of their attitude and ability to knit in with the managers current dressing room.

He has yet to sign a proven striker at this level Maynard and Akinde being "for the future" . :tumbleweed:

OK, we've had a few major reversals, the last being at Shitswich. I still trust Gary Johnson to get things right when the January transfer window opens. We've had some great players at bargain prices come to City during Gary Johnson's short tenure here, not least Basso, Boom Boom McCombe, and ahem Nick Carle. :whistle2:

This time last season we were flying high and looking very strong candidates for automatic promotion. Since then our performances have gone from bad to worse, we fell away badly and were lucky to end up in a play-off position.

This season we have continued with the decline, and our league position is an accurate reflection of our performances.

So your right, its quite clear that GJ is making errors, massive errors in fact, because for the last year, we have gone nowhere but backwards, and that is a simple fact!

So is GJ this great manager that many think he is...........not in my opinion, vastly over-rated, with a reputation based on a runners-up promotion from a very very poor league.

.....and for those of you hoping that the January transfer window will safe our season, I wouldn't hold your breath as GJ history in transfers dealings is pretty abysmal aswell (buys good players but doesn't play them, buys poor players and plays them every week, sells our better players), in fact I would go so far as saying his dealings in the January transfer window of last season detrimentally effected our second half of last season.

I sincerely hope he turns this season around, but I worry!

Our main problem is thr fact that we have three regular cenyral mid field players, Lee Johnson Marv Elliott and Cole Skuse. If we could get two Champion Class players to replace them, then I think our forwards and wide men would receive better and more accurate service giving yhe team a platform to build on.

Our main problem is thr fact that we have three regular cenyral mid field players, Lee Johnson Marv Elliott and Cole Skuse. If we could get two Champion Class players to replace them, then I think our forwards and wide men would receive better and more accurate service giving yhe team a platform to build on.

Spot on ann.......i have been saying for ages our midfield is a league 1 midfield with only maybe marv able to cut it at this level.......Nick carle was a player of CCC standard....but he didnt fit in???? i wonder why??? :tumbleweed:

I think it is deeper than that - if GJ really thinks that the likes of Dele and Stern are going to move us forward he is sadly mistaken - I have colleagues and friends supporting nearly every team in this league and they all laugh at Dele and Stern - I am not saying it is easy to get better strikers but even if we had world class mid field players the lack of pace and proven ability up front would still catch us out (and I don't mean proven at in the past - I mean can still deliver - I honestly think I could keep up with Dele and Stern - other teams do not panic when they see those names) - he needs a serious change which runs the risk that the whole team will become even more unsettled - the problem for me is he should have seen this and should have been addressing it over the last 12 months - not saying he will sort it our this January - which is why I don't think he is the best Manager we have ever had

I'm sorry, but to think that Gary Johnson didn't know we needed strengthening months ago or even years ago is almost laughable! We are a new championship side with a lot less money to spend than the majority of clubs in our league! Couple that with the extra couple of weeks we had on last season for the play-offs and the fact that most quality players usually get more than 1 offer from clubs like us and probably bigger. Its not as simple as throw money at everything! Believe it or not, playing for Bristol City is not as big a draw as we think and hope it will be. We have full time scouts who are CONSTANTLY on the look for new players at the right price. This means GJ probably has a list of around 10 - 20 players on his radar most of the time.

When GJ says things like "Don't forget, these players have done very well for this club" don't take that as we're ok, we don't really need anyone new. Read between the lines. Any manger is stuck between a rock and a hard place in these situations. On one hand he has to be very careful and make comments that doesn't rock his current squad because if worst comes to worst and there are no signings, they are the ones who he will have to look to. Then on the other hand he has the fans who are crying out for a Def/Mid/For and several of them!!!! In an ideal world GJ would come out and declare the identities of his targets and how close we are to signing them. In the real world he probably has to keep things quiet from 90% of people at the club. Signing quality players is an extremely competitive market and if you do find a gem the least people alerted the better.

While i get frustrated at the what seems to be total lack of activity in all transfer windows at this club. I always have to remind myself of general business practises. There are FULL time scouts who are looking all year round far and wide for players that will fit the bill, are available and at an affordable price.

At the most basic level i can identify areas that need strengthening and even may suggest a player to fill that position. Centre Midfield = Ben Watson.........wow, how quick was that??? if only it were that simple....

For me personally, one area where Gary Johnson seems to really frustrate me is the loan market.

Its so annoying, seeing many clubs around us picking up some good quality loans - players who wouldnt look out of place playing for us, and yet GJ seems too stubborn to want to dip into the loan market. We are missing out on some good talent because of GJs stubborness and other clubs are cashing in.

This for me is so annoying.

I'm sorry, but to think that Gary Johnson didn't know we needed strengthening months ago or even years ago is almost laughable! We are a new championship side with a lot less money to spend than the majority of clubs in our league! Couple that with the extra couple of weeks we had on last season for the play-offs and the fact that most quality players usually get more than 1 offer from clubs like us and probably bigger. Its not as simple as throw money at everything! Believe it or not, playing for Bristol City is not as big a draw as we think and hope it will be. We have full time scouts who are CONSTANTLY on the look for new players at the right price. This means GJ probably has a list of around 10 - 20 players on his radar most of the time.

When GJ says things like "Don't forget, these players have done very well for this club" don't take that as we're ok, we don't really need anyone new. Read between the lines. Any manger is stuck between a rock and a hard place in these situations. On one hand he has to be very careful and make comments that doesn't rock his current squad because if worst comes to worst and there are no signings, they are the ones who he will have to look to. Then on the other hand he has the fans who are crying out for a Def/Mid/For and several of them!!!! In an ideal world GJ would come out and declare the identities of his targets and how close we are to signing them. In the real world he probably has to keep things quiet from 90% of people at the club. Signing quality players is an extremely competitive market and if you do find a gem the least people alerted the better.

While i get frustrated at the what seems to be total lack of activity in all transfer windows at this club. I always have to remind myself of general business practises. There are FULL time scouts who are looking all year round far and wide for players that will fit the bill, are available and at an affordable price.

At the most basic level i can identify areas that need strengthening and even may suggest a player to fill that position. Centre Midfield = Ben Watson.........wow, how quick was that??? if only it were that simple....

I don't agree - many managers tell it like it is - they don't lose out because of it. GJ has had chances to change things and improve things and has not taken them. He has, for me, bottled a few decisions - our mid-field has been steam-rollered this season and was a fair bit at the end of last season - what do we do - get rid of Carle and not streghthen at all - that does not take any reading between the lines just bad decisions by GJ?

For me personally, one area where Gary Johnson seems to really frustrate me is the loan market.

Its so annoying, seeing many clubs around us picking up some good quality loans - players who wouldnt look out of place playing for us, and yet GJ seems too stubborn to want to dip into the loan market. We are missing out on some good talent because of GJs stubborness and other clubs are cashing in.

That's not entirely fair considering Johnson has only recently said that he tried to get players of the calibre of Michael Mancienne (Chelsea) and Daniel Sturridge (Man City) on loan earlier this season only for the deals to get thwarted at the last minute. The same accusation was levelled at Johnson last season when Frazer Campbell was used as a prime example of why Hull were promoted and not us despite the fact that Johnson was in for him and he decided he wanted to stay in the North.

Totally agree with all you've said there.

I don't agree - many managers tell it like it is - they don't lose out because of it. GJ has had chances to change things and improve things and has not taken them. He has, for me, bottled a few decisions - our mid-field has been steam-rollered this season and was a fair bit at the end of last season - what do we do - get rid of Carle and not streghthen at all - that does not take any reading between the lines just bad decisions by GJ?

Not sure of the exact figures but, we bought Carle for £500k and sell him 6 months later for £1m. Thats jsst good business for an average player who barely gets into the palace squad and probably again looking at it from the most basic views ie things said, attitude alleged high wages etc. As for a replacement, as i said in my previous post it can't be easy finding quality at the right price. We will never know who we inquired about and bid for, unfortunately i think we missed out on potential targets due to being in the play-offs and starting negotiations 2+weeks late. Our activity in the transfer market usually dissapoints but its not for the want of trying. I'm sure the club work day and night trying to bring the right people in.

Also good point made about the Loan signings RedFred. Shows efforts were and are being made in the Loan Market. Only a matter of time before we get one of these Loan Gems!

trouble is his record in signing players esp forwards has not been that good, there's not one player who you look at and think this bloke got class and can turn a game, maynard might be one for the future, but not that sure, and for 2.25 expected more, Trundle not really performed, as much as I want and would like him to, starting to give up hope, and think the one day he will be on his way, thought after all the hipe that williams was going to be better and give us more than we already had, the list goes on, sproule,mcindo,stern john, jevons (what a waste off time!)the only two that have been decent signings (in my view) has been basso and elliot, and when i look and see other championship players like chris eagles, i can only think if only, so fraid to say i don't hold out much hope for that special player in jan, there that should upset the happy clappies.

He proved in league one hes useless in the loan market.

Archived