IGNORED

Two Suggestions

openEnd

1) How about a classified ads forum where the seller of item pays fixed fee of eg £2.00 to post advert. Buyer (i guess 9 times out of 10 will be local) so can collect in person, pay cash, no ebay fees, no paypal fees, job done!

2) A bit more radical this one.

Am I the only one who thinks that when things ain't going so well for city (as in now) this forum can sometimes be more of a hinderance than a help? With that in mind, I have no idea how much it costs to run this forum for 1 month, but if we were able to raise enough money to cover costs. Would anyone else be willing to donate into a collection that saw it taken offline for eg. 30 days?

Leave the advertising, just disable the forum, or perhaps just the ability to post

I will happily donate £10, if I'm on my own I'll donate the same tenner to the Atyeo statue.

Who knows it just might do a bit of good?

Certainly is radical.

It appears to me to be along the lines of buying theatre tickets and only looking around the foyer whilst the show is on.

Although I sense a luke warm response to my late-night beer-induced ramblings :tumbleweed: , at least I havn't been laughed out of town

Perhaps you're right, I prefer to think of it more as a temporary otib amnesty where some funds could be raised for the ST, Atyeo Statue or whatever.

:fingerscrossed: I hope to god I don't get to find out because we obviously need a result today. But if things go tits up at Hillsborough today I wonder if my brainwave might seem slightly less rediculous when this forum is swamped with 'GJ out', 'LJ ate my hamster' type garbage at 4.45.

Forum costs are not huge. I have a racing forum on the net. The software was a couple of hundred to have, to which I had to set up the forum, then the forum costs of hosting, are around £20 a month, with a good level of bandwidth.

After that its just people's time, but I don't know any forum where moderators or admin are actually paid.

Then thats a company owning a forum or a group of forums and then hiring people, okay agree that has costs admittedly, but running a forum is not an expensive task.

Majority of forums make good money from advertisements, the one blesisng with OTIB its not littered with adds and pop ups like some forums.

1) How about a classified ads forum where the seller of item pays fixed fee of eg £2.00 to post advert. Buyer (i guess 9 times out of 10 will be local) so can collect in person, pay cash, no ebay fees, no paypal fees, job done!

2) A bit more radical this one.

Am I the only one who thinks that when things ain't going so well for city (as in now) this forum can sometimes be more of a hinderance than a help? With that in mind, I have no idea how much it costs to run this forum for 1 month, but if we were able to raise enough money to cover costs. Would anyone else be willing to donate into a collection that saw it taken offline for eg. 30 days?

Leave the advertising, just disable the forum, or perhaps just the ability to post

I will happily donate £10, if I'm on my own I'll donate the same tenner to the Atyeo statue.

Who knows it just might do a bit of good?

I've heard it all now. Things aren't going well on the pitch so the answer is to close the fans' forum?! Forking unbelievable.

Maybe all supporters should also be banned from AG for a month, so the players can concentrate on the football without being distracted by those naughty, noisy, supporters.

My suggestion would be a premium members' sub forum where people pay £5 a year to be a member so that they can access the sub forum.

This sub forum would be a section where the swear filter is switched off and people can post things in a way not designed for a more family orientated environment (such as the Owlettes topic, as a recent example).

Obviously, personal abuse would still be moderated, but other than that, it would be far more relaxed in terms of what was allowed.

My suggestion would be a premium members' sub forum where people pay £5 a year to be a member so that they can access the sub forum.

This sub forum would be a section where the swear filter is switched off and people can post things in a way not designed for a more family orientated environment (such as the Owlettes topic, as a recent example).

Obviously, personal abuse would still be moderated, but other than that, it would be far more relaxed in terms of what was allowed.

I like that. It would like home from home.

Would I be able to call scootered an illegitimate type name?

Not quite, Tom wasnt hired to run forums, thats just a minor role he has I'd imagine.

Your right that forums can be very cheap to run, but one this size does require abit more effort due to the traffic it receives.

Just to clarify my 'job' is not to run this forum - my actual job is that of a software trainer. When I joined Clik 5 years ago I took on the responsbility of maintaining this forum along with the others we host (Rovers, TFF etc). We don't outsource our hosting, everything right from the shortl haul data connection, nameservers and dedicated servers for the forum are located in our offices.

As forum software(s) have become more professional the maintenence is low but the bandwidth of this place is substaintial as you might imgine for a place that gets in excess of 2m page views a month usually.

Just to clarify my 'job' is not to run this forum - my actual job is that of a software trainer. When I joined Clik 5 years ago I took on the responsbility of maintaining this forum along with the others we host (Rovers, TFF etc). We don't outsource our hosting, everything right from the shortl haul data connection, nameservers and dedicated servers for the forum are located in our offices.

As forum software(s) have become more professional the maintenence is low but the bandwidth of this place is substaintial as you might imgine for a place that gets in excess of 2m page views a month usually.

And you make a mean cup of tea.

I like that. It would like home from home.

Would I be able to call scootered an illegitimate type name?

If he didn't mind.

My suggestion would be that we allow stuff like that unless it's clearly people picking on someone who isn't a premium member or unless the person involved is a member and reports it.

Yes Please :clapping: , great idea, I can't think of any reason why not, just that maybe the same stuff may get posted in the "Standard Forum" and "Premium Forum" which maybe a tad annoying. Plus it maybe worth more than 5 quid a year, even 6 just makes it 50p a month.

Yes Please :clapping: , great idea, I can't think of any reason why not, just that maybe the same stuff may get posted in the "Standard Forum" and "Premium Forum" which maybe a tad annoying. Plus it maybe worth more than 5 quid a year, even 6 just makes it 50p a month.

It works on another football forum I used to use.

Basically, anything not safe for work gets posted in there and people also seem to use it as a general chat section rather than to discuss football, so it doesn't dilute the discussions on the main forum.

Archived