IGNORED

Just Back From Hillsborough

Midge

Just completed the 400 mile round trip,and I'm pleased to say that a bit of familiarity returned today,all the players worked really hard we had enough chances to win the game comfortably and we also had a good away following considering.

Crowd was 15000 which by there standards is awful really,I remember a few years back going to Hillsborough with 30000 there for a league one fixture,weird how fans will desert there club and yet Wednesday are top half.

Anyways thought the players showed a lot of passion and one thing is for sure we are better than enough teams to survive this season and with a couple of additions in january I still feel a push for the top 6 is well within reach,certainy top 10.

Luck was not with us again today,goal disallowed for a foul on the keeper who came flying over the top of McCombe(still we should be used to goals not standing by now) Maynard has a candidate for miss of the season,when you see it tomorrow you will see how we have thrown 2 points away here.

Sproule played his heart out today and looked a threat down the right,I though we looked pretty solid at the back,they only had one chance really,also Lee Johnson had a good game when he came on,Sheff Wed were quite open in there play and it allowed LJ room to create,he put in a great cross which McCombe put wide from 6 yards.

Williams was effective and Elliott would make a half decent right back as for Stern John he is defenatly a good player but is so lazy.

Finally on a day of positives,we took a good amount of support today considering the time of year and credit the lads at the back who sang there hearts out all the way through.

Good performance against Burnley will set us up nicely for 2 winable games v Watford and Palace

Just completed the 400 mile round trip,and I'm pleased to say that a bit of familiarity returned today,all the players worked really hard we had enough chances to win the game comfortably and we also had a good away following considering.

Crowd was 15000 which by there standards is awful really,I remember a few years back going to Hillsborough with 30000 there for a league one fixture,weird how fans will desert there club and yet Wednesday are top half.

Anyways thought the players showed a lot of passion and one thing is for sure we are better than enough teams to survive this season and with a couple of additions in january I still feel a push for the top 6 is well within reach,certainy top 10.

Luck was not with us again today,goal disallowed for a foul on the keeper who came flying over the top of McCombe(still we should be used to goals not standing by now) Maynard has a candidate for miss of the season,when you see it tomorrow you will see how we have thrown 2 points away here.

Sproule played his heart out today and looked a threat down the right,I though we looked pretty solid at the back,they only had one chance really,also Lee Johnson had a good game when he came on,Sheff Wed were quite open in there play and it allowed LJ room to create,he put in a great cross which McCombe put wide from 6 yards.

Williams was effective and Elliott would make a half decent right back as for Stern John he is defenatly a good player but is so lazy.

Finally on a day of positives,we took a good amount of support today considering the time of year and credit the lads at the back who sang there hearts out all the way through.

Good performance against Burnley will set us up nicely for 2 winable games v Watford and Palace

Thank you for a sensible report from someone who actually went to the match

cool for the report, too :)

As someone who was also at the match, I agree totally with your report, (as opposed to some of the utter rubbish posted on a couple of other threads).

A good summary!

i thought the 10 or so lads who turned up wearing suits kept the crowd going, without them it would have been quite lifeless. so fair play to those boys.

i thought we done more than enough to get 3 points, but we went there outplayed them and got a point. it could have been a lot worse.

:englandsmile4wf:

I'm glad Sproule is finding a bit of form.Listened to it on the radio,clean sheet away,1 point,should of have been 3(according to the radio).Obviously we all wished for 3 but the fact we played well is a start.I have criticised GJ but today I hope its a turning point.We all want the same thing,first lets survive.I think we need to stick with maynard as he will come good,but he needs to be playing.Going back to Dele would be a negative move.Ive noticed the last few games that Maynard seems to want the ball more and more each game,that comes with confidence.

the missing fans have probably gone back to supporting their home team i.e. doncaster and barnsley, although that doesnt explain the comments in the programme about how 3000 season ticket holders didn't turn up the other week!

i thought the 10 or so lads who turned up wearing suits kept the crowd going, without them it would have been quite lifeless. so fair play to those boys.

i thought we done more than enough to get 3 points, but we went there outplayed them and got a point. it could have been a lot worse.

:englandsmile4wf:

don't think the stewards liked them though, but fairplay to the fans at the back who kept the "RED ARMY" chant going for ages.

All in all quite an encouraging performance by both players and supporters alike.

Cheers for the report Midge.

We've got half a season to put things right and finish higher in the table with a bit of pride restored, let's get behind the lads for the next 23 games.

Thanks for the great report on this thread, I wasn't at the game but hope to get home for the Burnley game next week.

Having listened to the match and watched the highlights I am certainly begining to feel that we have turned the corner and can see us mounting a challenge in the second half of the season...My reasoning

1 Maynard is a very good player (despite some of the piffle that gets posted on here) The boy has pace and ability and never fails to shoot when he has the chance. He was very unlucky not to score yesterday and yes whilst the one miss was glaring he is making those runs that give the likes of LJ/Noble/John/Williams/Sproule and Elliot a moving target to hit...As opposed to Dele 'bless him' who has been great this season but only encourages us to play high hump balls without really good runners from midfield

2 Ivan showing some energy. When he was bought GJ made it very clear he was bought as a striker, however not once can I remember him being played like that until now. Sproule with a more forward role looks to me to be a much better player. Neverthelss this does mean we probably should be looking for a winger in January

3 Stern John is a very good player and I can feel a partnership of John and Maynard given a little more time will work well for us.

4 The back four remain pretty solid no matter what the combo on the pitch, nevertheless they are prone to the odd balls up ala Mc Combe caught in possesion on the edge of our box and Mcallister booting a free kick straight at their player and almost conceding...If they can iron out those kind of issues we will stay difficult to beat..

5 Basso easily the best keeper in this league

So my friends "drink up ye cider' and stay behind the team....Believe

In short guys I think this was just what we needed really,I like the way all the replies to what I wrote are friendly and good quality opinions,after all that is what I think makes a good forum,as one poster said,we all want the same thing therefore I think we should all be able to find some common ground.

I feel now that we can go on a decent run as our list of upcoming games is hardly the most daunting of the season and one in which we will end our winless run and who knows maybe turn in an unbeaten run to even our season up a bit and as every football fan knows 3 straight wins in this division and we are right back in there

a change of luck is more than due.

and agree things have actually improved in the last 3 games because in terms of performances (bar a crazy 7mins at Ipswich) we are actually playing alot better.

in previous months we have been playing badly and getting little, now at least the performances have stepped up a level since the Swansea game and although not getting right results yet, if your playing well you will get more points than if your playing badly (which is obviosuly stating the obvious)

I do think that it has helped in that we have started almost the same 11 in the last 3 games, with any changes being solely down to injuries and not needless choping and changing.

Agree with the comments especially regarding Sproule and Maynard.

Sproule looked dangerous as he did against Swansea and he put in a quality ball for our goal at Ipswich in the week.

Maynard may have missed that chance but today we were looking to play the balls in between the centre backs and full backs that he could run on to and he looked much more dangerous as a result. Good all round performance.

I also liked Williams in the centre as he picks the ball up and looks to carry it forward which is something we have been missing from our midfiled recently.

Having now seen the highlights, that is an absolutely dreadful decision.

The keeper clearly clatters his own defender and, as a result, only brushes the ball with his fingers as it goes into the net.

How the ref considered that to be a foul by any of our players, I have absolutely no idea.

Of the penalty decisions, I'd say the handball looks pretty clear cut and Maynard is fouled as he tries to get up after a good initial challenge by the defender when in on goal. The Trundle one looks less clear to me, as it's hard to see if it's an accidental tangle of legs as they both follow the ball or whether it's a deliberate trip.

Thanks for the great report on this thread, I wasn't at the game but hope to get home for the Burnley game next week.

Having listened to the match and watched the highlights I am certainly begining to feel that we have turned the corner and can see us mounting a challenge in the second half of the season...My reasoning

1 Maynard is a very good player (despite some of the piffle that gets posted on here) The boy has pace and ability and never fails to shoot when he has the chance. He was very unlucky not to score yesterday and yes whilst the one miss was glaring he is making those runs that give the likes of LJ/Noble/John/Williams/Sproule and Elliot a moving target to hit...As opposed to Dele 'bless him' who has been great this season but only encourages us to play high hump balls without really good runners from midfield

Agree about NM.

2 Ivan showing some energy. When he was bought GJ made it very clear he was bought as a striker, however not once can I remember him being played like that until now.If my appalling memory serves me correctly, Ivan's first run of games with us were in a strikers role.

Sproule with a more forward role looks to me to be a much better player. Neverthelss this does mean we probably should be looking for a winger in January

3 Stern John is a very good player and I can feel a partnership of John and Maynard given a little more time will work well for us.

Agreed.

4 The back four remain pretty solid no matter what the combo on the pitch, nevertheless they are prone to the odd balls up ala Mc Combe caught in possesion on the edge of our box and Mcallister booting a free kick straight at their player and almost conceding...If they can iron out those kind of issues we will stay difficult to beat..

Interesting stat in the Observer this weekend-Basso has made the most saves of any keeper in our league, what that says about our defending I'm not sure...........

5 Basso easily the best keeper in this league

So my friends "drink up ye cider' and stay behind the team....Believe

I wasn't at the game, but listened to a bulk of the match on the radio.

I was just wondering if the positivity on this thread is warranted or is it just blind faith?

It seems that most of the talk is of a great performance, lots of created chances and with a bit of luck, we would have won.

Could this not also be construed as :-

sloppy finishing against a poor side who gifted us lots of chances and we still couldn't muster a goal?

Both the main commentator and Carey both stated several times that Sheffield were dire, yet, will still could not beat them.

In short, have we actually turned a corner or are we going to see the same lifeless displays pre this game against a decent side like Burnley?

I know i'll get the negative jibes, but, i'm only asking a question. Just slightly surprised that the whole forum seems to be revelling in some sort of mini-revival which seems to be based on winning one point from a game that was there for the taking.

Archived