IGNORED

3 Signings - What Do We Need Most ?

andy g

Lansdown has apparently agreed to fund up to 3 signings in January. So what do we need most ?

I think it has to be another right back (to replace Orr), another centre half (as backup to cover our injury-prone defenders) and another central midfielder (we're very short in this area)

Another right winger would be nice, but we have three at the club at the moment and that SHOULD be enough - we just need one of them to find some form.

The same goes for strikers - we've got plenty at the moment and we can't keep on switching them about. They need to be given a chance to perform.

In this order......

Creative Central Midfield - to play alongside Elliott IS A MUST MUST MUST.....we have other players but none of them are really good enough, debateable about Williams if he can get some fitness together and actually be given games in the middle.

Right Back - Unless Orr signs a new deal (which is unlikely)

after that it's a tough one, depends if anyone else wants to leave.....(McIndoe rumours)

I'd get those 2 in first, then hold on for another week or so and see how Sproule does, we have a few options in that positon but none of them are really upto much if Ivan can prove himself over a period of a month or so.....he'll do fine.

apart from that more cover on the left hand side

1) Right back, preferably one who can pass the ball out of defence

2) Right winger who can beat the full back, get to the by-line and get a decent cross in

3) Goal-scoring, creative central midfielder

I defiently agree with 2) but even in the Premier League how many players can you name that can actually do that?

The lad Shiels from Hibs seemed to have a bit more substance to it than the usual rumours, so that's a possible.

I'd also like us to get Mark Yeates from Colchester and Dean Lewington from MK Dons.

Lewington would be a great signing and looked a quality left back when we last played them (which was a while back) unfortunately though due to their manager and how well they are playin at the moment I think we might have left it a bit too late to sign him.

I defiently agree with 2) but even in the Premier League how many players can you name that can actually do that?

Kuyt, Milner, M.G.Pederson, Cristiano Ronaldo, Walcott, Lennon off the top of my head..

Hmmm, good point. Tommy Black or Mark Gavin are the type of winger i think we need, but whether they actually exist in our lower leagues i'm not sure. How about a young prem player on loan, e.g. Scott Sinclair?

Kuyt, Milner, M.G.Pederson, Cristiano Ronaldo, Walcott, Lennon off the top of my head..

Not that many then and how much would they be? Its amazing how many players out there that cant actually cross a ball or beat the full back with the cross.

Now how many can you name in this league? I would say Eagles then.......

I think to almost gauge WHO will be coming in January, you have to look at the clubs who are most likely to be selling;-

Top of my head:-

Charlton - serious financial difficulties (ambrose likely to go - Ipswich likely)

Waford - ditto (Jobi McAnuff, Tommy Smith both mooted in the press - Brendon Rogers even intimated that he may allow Smith to go)

Soton - will go into admin if they don't sell - sealing their relegation with a 10 pointer (Surman, Lallana, Stern John all possibily leaving)

West Ham - have said a wholesale clearout is likely (lee Bowyer amongst others likely to leave - either on loan or permanent)

Norwich - not too sure if they eventually managed to refinance - but if not could go sniffing there.

Leeds - ongoing financial pressures - especially if McAllister wants to freshen things up in Januray - then he may have to sell first (Howson, Beckford)

Teams like Mk Dons and Peterborough, whilst undoubtedly containing interesting and exciting players, are both clubs that are pushing for promotion to the CCC, well run, and more importantly well financed, so could probably hold out for much higher prices than the teams above.

I'm sure that there are many teams that I have missed that could be close to a fire sale in January, but by looking at the teams where potential bargains could be had, then it may indicate the positions that may be filled in January.

Creative central midfielder who carries the ball forward, and gets into the box to score. Hopefully one that can also mark and tackle some. (Yes I know that's a bit ambitious!)

Right back that can pass and cross as well as defend.

Left sided player to compete with both Jamie McC and McIndoe.

I'd like a right winger too if we can ship Ivan out.

1. I reckon try and loan a full back until end of season, that way we can give ribs a chance next year when hes fit

2. spend big if needed on centre midfielder to play with Marv. LJ splits opinion, i personally think he is perfectly average. id like to see someone replace him and then make him fight for his place... Ambrose, Johnie Jackson, Andrews from Blackburn..... a championship frank lampard :laugh:

3. Right wing - as someone earlier mentioned its hard to find players who can beat a man, get to byline and cross, so if we cant find someone now lets get a young loan player from prem until end of season then see whats about then.......... jay simpson?

1. I reckon try and loan a full back until end of season, that way we can give ribs a chance next year when hes fit

2. spend big if needed on centre midfielder to play with Marv. LJ splits opinion, i personally think he is perfectly average. id like to see someone replace him and then make him fight for his place... Ambrose, Johnie Jackson, Andrews from Blackburn..... a championship frank lampard :laugh:

3. Right wing - as someone earlier mentioned its hard to find players who can beat a man, get to byline and cross, so if we cant find someone now lets get a young loan player from prem until end of season then see whats about then.......... jay simpson?

Re: point 3 - What about Lee Croft(Norwich), Kebe(Reading), Smith(Watford), Kightly(wolves) - not a chance of any of them(too costly apart from Croft), but all capable of beating their man.

I know his goal record is v good but overall I've never been impressed by O Toole.

Well it's entirely possible that I (a) haven't seen him play enough and (b) don't know what I'm talking about, so perhaps he's not as good as I think.

I won't complain if we don't sign him because that'll probably mean that Gary and Pete don't think he's worth the valuation and I trust their judgement.

I do think from what I have seen, though, that he looks like an exciting young midfield player who can make things happen. We're woefully short of that. Nobody in our midfield drives the play forward and nobody scores very many goals.

Wolves, Birmingham, QPR and Crystal Palace are all battling to sign Chelsea's teenage winger Scott Sinclair on loan in January. (Daily Mirror)

Derby boss Paul Jewell is watching Chesterfield striker Jamie Ward, who is available for £250,000. (Daily Mirror)

Cardiff and Crystal Palace will fight it out for Watford midfielder Jobi McAnuff, who has been told he can leave the cash-strapped Hornets in January for £1m. (Daily Mirror)

from BBC gossip - any of those will do please!

1. Right winger - been in need of one for along time now

2. Left back - showed when Wilson had to cover there, he did an ok job, but got wrong footed all the time, and lost his man to often, and we leaked alot of goals down that side.

3. Center Mid - Someone like Ben Watson or Surman would be a nice xmas present. More likely to get another one of GJ old village people from down the road.

Just hope Stern John isn't one of the 3 signings. He's done ok but not worth the 1m being asked for him

1. Right winger - been in need of one for along time now

2. Left back - showed when Wilson had to cover there, he did an ok job, but got wrong footed all the time, and lost his man to often, and we leaked alot of goals down that side.

3. Center Mid - Someone like Ben Watson or Surman would be a nice xmas present. More likely to get another one of GJ old village people from down the road.

Just hope Stern John isn't one of the 3 signings. He's done ok but not worth the 1m being asked for him

What do you reckon the red indian or the construction worker ???

Guest ashtonyate

We need A goal scoring forward a wide player who can get to the by line and cross and a play maker midfielder I think the defence is not to bad and if carey can get back to last years form it will be OK

Archived