IGNORED

The think Tank

Loderingo

The Times Online has a very interesting site called the think Tank. What they do is look at goals and shots data of football matches going back the last few years or so. They give most importance to recent results and produce an attack, defence and overall rating for each team. They can then produce probabilities for all forthcoming fixtures.

http://www.dectech.org/football_sites/football/

Why this is particularly interesting is that I looked at this at the end of last season and we were 4th in the table but it had us down as the 17th best team in their model. And I thought then what a load of rubbish. Looking again now it has us as the 18th best team in the league and we are currently 18th. I guess this shows then how well we did last season and how much we overperformed really due to hard work, luck and momentum. The current overall ratings are as follows:

Reading 100

Brum 100

Sheff U 82

Palace 78

Charlton 77

Plymouth 76

Preston 74

Wolves 73

Soton 68

Watford 68

Ipswich 67

Cardiff 66

QPR 63

Norwich 62

Derby 62

Coventry 60

Blackpool 59

Us 58

Burnley 58

Forest 53

Sheff W 52

Swansea 49

Donny 47

Barnsley 47

So by that Burnley are massively overperforming and Charlton massively underperforming in particularly

Looking at our attack and defence ratings we have the 8th best attack rating but the 4th worst defence rating. This makes sense as teams (particularly at AG this season) don't need many shots to score against us and reflects on the number of soft goals we conceed. This suggests that rather than getting another striker our priority for the window should be on bolstering the defence.

The other thing I'd take out of this is that teams go through short term patches of wildly overperforming or underperforming but in the end tend to revert back to the mean i.e. Hull have massively overperformed in the Prem this year but we should expect them to be relegated next year as they suffer their own second season syndrome. This means as well that it's much harder to produce real long-term improvement as teams cannot keep overperforming forever. Sadly for City this means it'll probably take some years of gradual improvement before we can have another serious shot at the Prem again

Archived