IGNORED

Quick Question

Stew

Surely thou mate "IVAN" would not have signed for them,althou ivan was a dirty player when he played for hibs

I could have seen Ivan coming back, but we have now signed Jonatan Johannson (former Charlton, Rangers, Malmo) so I can't see him returning yet.

Are BC fans not happy with him, and do you believe the nickname was deserved?

Hi all, this is my first post on here, but ever since Ivan Sproule signed for you lot I have paid close attention to BCFC.

However, I often hear people call you lot the Bristol Butchers. Why is this ?

It suggests to me your team are incredibly dirty who go to hack players instead of properly playing the game.

WHAT THE HELL????????????????????

Are Bristol City still like this, or are they much more calm and composed now ?

Football and City are both completely different these days, the likes of Norman Hunter and the legendary Gerry Gow would struggle to stay on the pitch for half an hour now....

Football and City are both completely different these days, the likes of Norman Hunter and the legendary Gerry Gow would struggle to stay on the pitch for half an hour now....

Do you think that had football stayed the way it was, then Bristol City would be a dirty club?

Are Bristol City still like this, or are they much more calm and composed now ?

Now if you had included this in your first post, maybe I wouldn't have been so defensive, if defending my club when reading that someone states my club is dirty makes me a muppet then so be it.

Merry xmas and a happy hogmany. :xmas:

Stew - we are far from a dirty side, but if it gets physical, most of our players can hold their own, and we don't get intimidated. Not quite sure why you think we might be the same after 35 years, as we have had a number of different Managers and team styles. Under Terry Cooper, we were positive, scored goals, but weak at the back, Russell Osman induced boredom, Pulis was just a total wa*ker who bought a heap of aging crocks, Danny Wilson was positive when the League was strong and turned dull when it was there for the taking, and Johnson is a mix of brilliant football, hoofball, high commitment and Basso. I am sure Hibs have had many styles over the years too.

Stew - we are far from a dirty side, but if it gets physical, most of our players can hold their own, and we don't get intimidated. Not quite sure why you think we might be the same after 35 years, as we have had a number of different Managers and team styles. Under Terry Cooper, we were positive, scored goals, but weak at the back, Russell Osman induced boredom, Pulis was just a total wa*ker who bought a heap of aging crocks, Danny Wilson was positive when the League was strong and turned dull when it was there for the taking, and Johnson is a mix of brilliant football, hoofball, high commitment and Basso. I am sure Hibs have had many styles over the years too.

The best style I have ever seen of Hibs was under Tony Mowbray. The football was fantastic, and we always looked to score more goals.

It sounds like green tinted spectacles, but Hibs usually produce good attacking passing football, and sometimes play the best stuff seen in the SPL

tbh stew sproule has been a huge disappointment since he arrived here, he has bags of pace but very little else to his game, and i do think he has found the step up to the english ccc from the spl a bit too much

I'm pretty surprised at that tbh. I found he was always a very exciting player, who could really get the crowd going.

I'm pretty surprised at that tbh. I found he was always a very exciting player, who could really get the crowd going.

[/q6 months ago my fiance from Cumbernauld came here to live with me in Bristol bringing her wee 10 year old daughter with her who is Rangers mad, so in the last few months ive watched a lot of spl games on setanta, with no disrespect to Scottish football i have noticed a big difference in quality from the spl outside the old firm to the english ccc, maybe Ivan cant have the ease of passing defenders in this league like he was used to in spl games

[/q6 months ago my fiance from Cumbernauld came here to live with me in Bristol bringing her wee 10 year old daughter with her who is Rangers mad, so in the last few months ive watched a lot of spl games on setanta, with no disrespect to Scottish football i have noticed a big difference in quality from the spl outside the old firm to the english ccc, maybe Ivan cant have the ease of passing defenders in this league like he was used to in spl games

yes man sure, ivan had a better day today but he is still poo

he's actually been a much better player over the last month and really seems to have grabbed his chance and taken it,

Still need another player that position, because simply it's only him and Murray who can played that role

he's actually been a much better player over the last month and really seems to have grabbed his chance and taken it,

Still need another player that position, because simply it's only him and Murray who can played that role

Wilson?

Better on the wing than at the back, that's for sure.

Maybe he'll get a chance there if we sign another player for right-back in the window?

I remember the 2nd leg Anglo Scottish Cup game against Hibs. I was about 12 and in the East End we chanted, loudly and menacingly "THE BUTCHERS!" when the Hibs players came out. One or two of them laughed, but looked a bit scared. We beat them, of course, easily.

In an earlier round we had also beaten Partick Thistle (who were then a big SPL club) whose team included one John Hansen, elder brother of Alan and also a Scottish international.

Much later, in the mid 1990's, I was at some godforesaken corporate Christmas knees up when I found myself sharing numerous malt whiskeys with a pissed yet charming Scotsman, who bore more than a passing resemblance to a certain Match of the Day pundit. I of course loudly baited the said Mr J Hansen (for it was he) about our 'famous' victory all those years earlier. He confirmed that Bristol City where indeed "a bunch o' ###### butchers!" I dutifully pointed out that our side were mostly Scots (Shaw, Gow, Sweeney, Ritchie, Gillies, Cormack) and he laughed loudly and bought us all more whiskey.

Good times :)

I remember the 2nd leg Anglo Scottish Cup game against Hibs. I was about 12 and in the East End we chanted, loudly and menacingly "THE BUTCHERS!" when the Hibs players came out. One or two of them laughed, but looked a bit scared. We beat them, of course, easily.

In an earlier round we had also beaten Partick Thistle (who were then a big SPL club) whose team included one John Hansen, elder brother of Alan and also a Scottish international.

Much later, in the mid 1990's, I was at some godforesaken corporate Christmas knees up when I found myself sharing numerous malt whiskeys with a pissed yet charming Scotsman, who bore more than a passing resemblance to a certain Match of the Day pundit. I of course loudly baited the said Mr J Hansen (for it was he) about our 'famous' victory all those years earlier. He confirmed that Bristol City where indeed "a bunch o' ###### butchers!" I dutifully pointed out that our side were mostly Scots (Shaw, Gow, Sweeney, Ritchie, Gillies, Cormack) and he laughed loudly and bought us all more whiskey.

Good times :)

I'm sorry, this seemed like a believable anecdote until you mentioned a Scotsman buying a round. :innocent06:

Archived