IGNORED

Lee Johnson Today.....

scumbag

I believe that a striker in the January transfer window would have seen us promoted automatically, without the farce of the play off's

A striker? Interesting - so you also think that the "average" midfield would have done it too - albeit a little more easily with a new striker.

A striker? Interesting - so you also think that the "average" midfield would have done it too - albeit a little more easily with a new striker.

I think the 5 man midfield ploy worked well for us last season, we ground out lots of 1-0s had a fair share of good fortune and if it was not for the lack of a top quality goalscorer we would have gone up automatically.

Do you think there would be many offers

if we did put him up for sell?

I think that it would benefit LJ as a player to leave Ashton Gate, for obvious reasons.

He's good enough to play league 1 football week in week out and probably good enough to go back to the SPL.

I don't think that it is to anyones benefit, LJ's, GJ's or Bristol City's most importantly that LJ stays,fresh start without a monkey on his back.

I wish him well.

I felt he put in a good performance today. played 3 or 4 penatrative passes( the pass to send john through in the first half was class) and he even won a header. The pass in the second half was inexcusable and almost cost us dear. Overal i felt he played pretty well and certainly was the better of himself and Carle on the day. Would he be better than Carle long term???? I am not so sure!!!!

I thought Nick Carle was pretty ineffective personally, and was bossed out of it by Marvin (who was much improved) and Lee who were able to dominate the midfield, particularly in the first half.

Apart from the freekick (which he was pretty unlucky with) and another decent strike at goal, I thought he was fairly quiet and never made a real impression on the game.

Still, I fully anticipate every other post from Red Goblin will be telling us how he's the best thing since sliced bread and how he was part of the Bristol City team that 'destroyed' Palace in the play-offs.

Funnily enough, when you take into account Palace haven't actually lost for about 6 weeks, I thought we were better today than we were in either play-off game against them. We should have burried them in the first half and it was our best 45 minutes of the season.

I've been saying it for weeks publicly but I still believe the first win will spark a run of good form. The play-offs are not out of the question; it's not going to be easy and we need to continue to improve, but I believe with a couple of quality additions in January we're good enough to do it.

well he did play a defence splitting pass to release john clean through but hey we will just ignore that because it was LJ and say he did nothing!!!!!!!!!!

like Tinnion before him i hope lj stays and gets through this period to convince those that moan and criticise- no reason he can't as he was a very important part of the midfeild that got us to the brink of the prem last season.

over the last few weeks we seem to have been creating lots of chances so that augurs well for the second half of the season. A shame we have the distraction of the FA Cup before the next league match but at least we can go there with a degree of confidence and perhaps cause an upset by knocking out the cup holders. Now that would be a good way to start 2009!!!

One good game by LJ hardly shows why Carle should have been shown the door now does it?

Obviously not, but there are many on here that considered yesterday's "showdown" would show why Carle shouldn't have left. He was going to dominate our midfield, walk through them and show LJ up to be no more than a downs player. That didn't happen.

He did have a good game! But it was probably his 3rd or 4th good game of the season! If he plays like that every week I will be more than happy but I cant see it happening!

Plus it shows hes not as good as some like to make out when they argue that he made 3 or 4 good through balls today!! Hes our creative midfielder he should be playing these balls most of the time!!!

Obviously not, but there are many on here that considered yesterday's "showdown" would show why Carle shouldn't have left. He was going to dominate our midfield, walk through them and show LJ up to be no more than a downs player. That didn't happen.

Lee Johnson had Marvin Elliott and an in form Ivan Sproule alongside him in midfield. Nick Carle was on his own without Ben Watson as the other Palarse midfielders alongside Carle didn't look up to much. I still rate Nick Carle highly, it does make a refreshing change seeing the likes of Lee Johnson and Ivan Sproule looking more up for giving 100% for Bristol's Red Shirt. Long may it continue. :clapping:

Lee Johnson had Marvin Elliott and an in form Ivan Sproule alongside him in midfield. Nick Carle was on his own without Ben Watson as the other Palarse midfielders alongside Carle didn't look up to much. I still rate Nick Carle highly, it does make a refreshing change seeing the likes of Lee Johnson and Ivan Sproule looking more up for giving 100% for Bristol's Red Shirt. Long may it continue. :clapping:

A point a lot of people seem to have missed. That was a weakened Palace team we played yesterday.

A point a lot of people seem to have missed. That was a weakened Palace team we played yesterday.

Our luck changed yesterday when I saw Nick Carle walk out without Ben Watson alongside him. Palarse had a very young looking left back out there as well and Ivan Sproule often left him for dead. A marvellous stroke of luck them having no Ben Watson and an inexperienced looking left back. :dancing6:

Our luck changed yesterday when I saw Nick Carle walk out without Ben Watson alongside him. Palarse had a very young looking left back out there as well and Ivan Sproule often left him for dead. A marvellous stroke of luck them having no Ben Watson and an inexperienced looking left back. :dancing6:

Yes indeed Gobbers, lets hope that GJ gets the quality players that we need so we don't have to rely on marvellous strokes of luck that seem to have deserted us this season, after all the luck factor does tend to balance itself out over the course of a season. :fingerscrossed:

Lj had his best game for the club v Palace but lets get real;

1. He is no-where near good enough for this league, cant tackle, run fast, head the ball etc etc

2. He has only played for teams (other than <10 games) where his Dad aint teh manager so let's get someone in without that 'monkey'

3. We have plenty of good alternatives and Skuse is better in every department than Lj

4. He didnt 'boss' Carle yesterday - it would have been boy v Man if he had tried - like it was at Selhurst last month

5. His Terrible 10 mins at Watford nearly cost us badly as he has done so often this and last season

6. I wish him luck as well - as long as it is not at the Gas

7. Farewell Lee and let's look forweard to a CM of Elliott and Williams or Elliott & Skuse of Skuse and Williams or anyone else other than Lj

2 good performances now mean we can target Donnie and Barnsley as 6points, putting us close to that 'comfort-zone' we all yearn for so we can either (bring in new/young players to build a team for next season or even push for 6th place without looking at bottom 3 anymore

So, let me see if I can understand this.

If Carle had dominated Johnson then that would have proved that we were wrong to let him go and was supposed to shut up all those people that didn't think it was a big deal to let him go.

The fact that he didn't. The fact that we overrun them - certainly in the first half (which is even acknowledged by Colin) and the fact that many have said that NC didn't really affect the game much - is all down to luck and the fact that Sproule played well. Hmm...

Lj had his best game for the club v Palace but lets get real;

1. He is no-where near good enough for this league, cant tackle, run fast, head the ball etc etc

2. He has only played for teams (other than <10 games) where his Dad aint teh manager so let's get someone in without that 'monkey'

3. We have plenty of good alternatives and Skuse is better in every department than Lj

4. He didnt 'boss' Carle yesterday - it would have been boy v Man if he had tried - like it was at Selhurst last month

5. His Terrible 10 mins at Watford nearly cost us badly as he has done so often this and last season

7. Farewell Lee and let's look forweard to a CM of Elliott and Williams or Elliott & Skuse of Skuse and Williams or anyone else other than Lj

2 good performances now mean we can target Donnie and Barnsley as 6points, putting us close to that 'comfort-zone' we all yearn for so we can either (bring in new/young players to build a team for next season or even push for 6th place without looking at bottom 3 anymore

I take it your joking with this one? Skuse is ok but he is not as good as Johnson. Als, Have you thought that maybe elliott and Johnson did not allow Carle to play and as they are both about 10x fitter than him they did not give him hardley anytime on the ball?

so what?? Maybe they should have a better sqaud then, Not our problem if they have an injured player. Our best striker has been injured all season so we have been weakend since Blackpool pretty much.

So, let me see if I can understand this.

If Carle had dominated Johnson then that would have proved that we were wrong to let him go and was supposed to shut up all those people that didn't think it was a big deal to let him go.

The fact that he didn't. The fact that we overrun them - certainly in the first half (which is even acknowledged by Colin) and the fact that many have said that NC didn't really affect the game much - is all down to luck and the fact that Sproule played well. Hmm...

Looking at the bigger picture, if we want promotion we have to dominate the midfield against the likes of Reading, Birmingham and Wolverhampton. Apart from maybe Marvin Elliott our midfield looked very ordinary against those three afore mentioned sides this season and we were beaten as a result.

Lj had his best game for the club v Palace but lets get real; unlikely

1. He is no-where near good enough for this league, cant tackle, run fast, head the ball etc etc so lets see, no where good enough but played all last year and we got to the play off final - this comment alone proves you know very little

3. We have plenty of good alternatives and Skuse is better in every department than Lj how so skuse has potential but is not a creative midfield player- nor was he a major part of the midfield that reached the play offs [

4. He didnt 'boss' Carle yesterday - it would have been boy v Man if he had tried - like it was at Selhurst last month how so? carle did not affect the game LJ was part of our midfield that made that so

5. His Terrible 10 mins at Watford nearly cost us badly as he has done so often this and last season his assists led to two of our goals, while his ball to sproule for the second - so three telling contribution against two ight have beens Elliot's own goal far more likely to have cost us victory yet not commented uppn

7. Farewell Lee and let's look forweard to a CM of Elliott and Williams or Elliott & Skuse of Skuse and Williams or anyone else other than Lj your last point seems to aptly sum up your views

this season has a long way to run and the play offs remain a possibility

Looking at the bigger picture, if we want promotion we have to dominate the midfield against the likes of Reading, Birmingham and Wolverhampton. Apart from maybe Marvin Elliott our midfield looked very ordinary against those three afore mentioned sides this season and we were beaten as a result.

Yes we will - but clearly NC can't do that either.

It what I've said for a while with movement up front and from the wings Johnson now has options to play the ball forward rather than backwards. It's what he does best.

The best point on the thread I think. Going forward we were playing 4-3-3 and with the movement of Maynard, Sproule and John, LJ had many more options. That hasn't happened very often this season so he gets criticised when he passes the ball sideways or backwards, or he gets criticised when he hits a forward ball either in hope or expectation of some movement in front of him.

Yes our strikers have had a lack of service, but it could also be argued that the service will come if they show they are willing to make themselves available.

It happened often yesterday and apparently on Boxing day as well, lets hope it continues.

Thats it pick out the one thing he done 'wrong' and lets jump on his back. For gods sake he was part of a great team performance.

His performance was avaerage that's all, he did what was expected - the reason I pick on the pass that almost cost us = I fully understand that players have to make decisions and errors will occur however I had a very good view and he had alot of options and worst case play the ball anywhere in their half instead of a loopy pass back to our last man being marked!!

Bit like his previous performance at AG when again he was average then showed his inadequacies when after a good challange run 20 yards then stopped and eventually passed ball into no mans land when he had 3 relatively easy options.

I'm not an LJ basher or lover just believe he is average at this level and due to the GJ factor it is an uneccessary situation to be in that IMO is not the best thing for all concerned.

Archived