IGNORED

Styvar

ciderup

So how did he get on then?

What were the first impressions of those that went to Fratton Park?

look abit lost on the left! but done a fantastic cross field ball to Sproule landed right at his feet. hopefully the lad will play up through the middle next time

So how did he get on then?

What were the first impressions of those that went to Fratton Park?

He looked big strong as you would have expected, he also worked hard which was nice to see, he didnt have many opportunites on goal but as me and my mate were saying he looks like one of those players that would finish given half a chance. Against smaller defences he could have a field day, against Donnies leaky defence he could cause them some problems.

In fairness i didnt see enough to make a firm judgement but he deffinetly looks promoising, it would be interesting to see what our front line will be against Doncaster.

Plus its not every day youll be up against a former England defender!!

I think next week at Doncaster will be a better indicator as to how he's going to fair for us. I'd imagine he'd start given the bad news about Maynard.

By bad news you mean his injury?

i was there today aswell and i felt that he done well for firstgame considering the switch to english football and playin left hand side, some nice touches, good goal line clearance (must of been painful ) and once again what a cracking atmosphere today and to add to the day,that bloke ejected from his pompey seat who clearly thought he was very much a hard man!

you reds :englandsmile4wf:

He looked aright but a hard game to judge him on. What i would say though is that i think he is a bad signing. Not because he does not have ability but because as shown today its our midfield thats the problem and not the forwards. We could have Owen up front and he would struggle to score with the service from our midfield provide. I think the money could have been better spent.

As GJ said, he didn't expect to have to play there and it was a baptism of fire for him.

He can't be judged on today, it was a one off.

not judging the man on one game just said he looked lost on the left. so hopefully next week v donny he will play through the middle.

i was there today aswell and i felt that he done well for firstgame considering the switch to english football and playin left hand side, some nice touches, good goal line clearance (must of been painful ) and once again what a cracking atmosphere today and to add to the day,that bloke ejected from his pompey seat who clearly thought he was very much a hard man!

you reds :englandsmile4wf:

Can someone tell us more about this please as it was mentioned on the radio by Richard Hoskin & Gary Owers

Guest DR DICKNOSE
Can someone tell us more about this please as it was mentioned on the radio by Richard Hoskin & Gary Owers

was hilarious,some bell end chav who thought he was the man giving it the large to city fans taking his shirt off and the likes the kid was a complete nob&then some old bloke who i can only presume was his old man joined in which made it even funnier.they were then ejected much to the amusement of us all!

:englandsmile4wf: then as we left there were a group of about 50 12 year olds stood behind a line of police with dogs chanting ooo arr ooo arr at us,how frightening is that!!

was hilarious,some bell end chav who thought he was the man giving it the large to city fans taking his shirt off and the likes the kid was a complete nob&then some old bloke who i can only presume was his old man joined in which made it even funnier.they were then ejected much to the amusement of us all!

:englandsmile4wf: then as we left there were a group of about 50 12 year olds stood behind a line of police with dogs chanting ooo arr ooo arr at us,how frightening is that!!

Portsmouth fans are the types who attack the homes of paediatricians because they get them confused with paedophiles, so they aren't exactly masters of the gene pool. Watching them on the telly, they've always struck me as a bit simple, so the above story isn't a surprise.

I just don't understand why you would play an old fashioned target man like striker whos right footed left midfield?

Who else could GJ have put there? It seems that place was for Trundle who fell sick (Tonsillitis is horrible), I feel sorry for him he missed another chance so we did not even fill the bench.

What surprised me more was that Murray did not travel with the team, good cup player and part of his role is a "good for the dressing room" person. Ahhhh just noticed he played for Cheltenham in the earlier rounds (and scored) so cup tied I guess, Murray is always a good club in the bag for the cup. So the only players who could have filled that bench spot were Walker, Artus or J.Wilson if they had travelled, so I think Styvar was probably the best option instead of Trundle in more of a 4-3-3.

He didnt play left midfield/winger.

Neither has Maynard, who he was replacing, nor has Mcindoe.

Don't understand this, as Styver played vitually all of the game more wide on the left wing than MM has done for ages. He looked a bit lost at times but looks to have a good skills and strong heading ability, I reckon he will be an asset in the right position.

What i would say though is that i think he is a bad signing.

Not because he does not have ability but because as shown today its our midfield thats the problem and not the forwards. We could have Owen up front and he would struggle to score with the service from our midfield provide.

I think the money could have been better spent.

Strikers: Bearing in mind it is thought we need 5 strikers at a club;

2 or more years left on contract end of season: Akinde and Maynard

1 year left: Trundle

Out of contract: Adebola, John and Brooker.

A summer striking target (Styver) comes available 6 months earlier than anticipated - we get him. Alternatively we could wait until the summer and try and get 2 (if Trundle stays) or 3 new strikers.

In my view an astute piece of business that has cost us 6 months wages and offers an extra 6 months for him to acclimatise to our squad. Yes we need 5 new midfielders but this is not a bad signing due to money spent - last accounts showed we had £6m in the bank account (pre Maynard spend).

A summer striking target (Styver) comes available 6 months earlier than anticipated - we get him. Alternatively we could wait until the summer and try and get 2 (if Trundle stays) or 3 new strikers.

In my view an astute piece of business that has cost us 6 months wages and offers an extra 6 months for him to acclimatise to our squad. Yes we need 5 new midfielders but this is not a bad signing due to money spent - last accounts showed we had £6m in the bank account (pre Maynard spend).

Thats fine Geoff and i will agree with you as long as we strengthen the area's that need it more.. I.E. Right wing and central midfield.

We were playing 4-3-3.

I wasnt at the game but maybe he didnt have the movement of Maynard, so it seemed he was stuck out on the left.

I would disgree an say it was 4-5-1 we played the majority of the game with 10 men behind the ball.

Thought it was unfair to play a new player out of position like that. don't understand why we didnt jus put Macca left mid an push him upfront.

Interesting when you break it down like that.

So, next season our strikers could be Maynard, Akinde and Styvar, depending on whether Trundle sticks around.

Hopefully this is another step in the evolution of our squad, and as many have said, hopefully the midfield will be rebuilt around Marvin Elliott.

I would disgree an say it was 4-5-1 we played the majority of the game with 10 men behind the ball.

Thought it was unfair to play a new player out of position like that. don't understand why we didnt jus put Macca left mid an push him upfront.

Officially it was 4-3-3 according to GJ.

Really? I must've read those wrong then. I was under the impression that we've been in debt for some time, only thankfully the majority of that debt is to SL rather than banks and other third parties.

There is a huge difference between the club's physical bank balance and the financial position. This is why financial statements are produced, and we are not just shown the clubs bank statement.

It's all very well having £6m in the bank, but if we have £18m in current/long-term liabilities then the financial position doesn't look so healthy.

Bank statements for organisations can be very deceptive, you need to put them into consideration with the financial statements that the club issue.

Archived