IGNORED

View From A Pompey Fan

the_riddle

Just thought you'd like to know how I saw the game from our (Pompey) point of view as I've been on here a few times in the last day or two.

As I predicted, the game was very much like the games we played v Ipswich, Plymouth and Preston last year, where you gave a good account of yourselves both on and off the pitch.

You obviously filled the away end (as expected) and you made a decent amount of noise, though (don't shoot me) I thought Plymouth were more consistent with their signing last season (they did go 1-0 up early on though, so had something to sing about for half an hour).

On the pitch Adams 4-5-1 tactic was very odd. We are short of quality in the middle due to Redknapp's failure to replace Muntari/ Mendes and the sale of Diarra. We also had Hughes and Diop out through injury, so it was very much a patched up team with Marc Wilson (played about 4 games for us at right back) played in the centre and Martin Crainie coming in (having been on loan all season with Charlton).

I can only assume Adams thought the personnel available wasn't strong enough and made up for it in numbers, but playing 1 up front at home wasn't what we wanted.

After 20 mins you'd not really troubled us and I felt it was time to push Nugent up with Crouch (he's no target man) as Nugent hadn't had a touch stuck out wide. Alas Adams showed his weakness for not changing things, and so we went with what we started with.

Overall I thought we were pretty comfortable with what you had, and James was only called on for a couple of long distance efforts and the tip over the bar. We had much of the (scrappy) play but whenever we did get a sight on goal your boys put their bodies on the line for the cause.

So very much like last season's games v Championship opposition, except we didn't sneak a win and this time the "they deserved a replay" line came true. When you see what's happened to City and Stoke today, you just have to be thankful you're still in the draw at the end of the day.

Just a shame the thousands of 'deserving causes' who were around for semi and final tickets (plus the 250,000 who turned up for the victory parade) last season didn't bother today. Of the 11,000 Pompey there today I'd say 2-3,000 were newbies taking in the chance of seeing a game. That means no more than 8-9,000 regulars bothered today and that showed in the very subdued atmosphere from us. Very poor - but it seems that's what the Prem does to people.

I'm looking forward to a trip to Ashton Gate - when you've done all the Prem grounds, many with soulless atmosphere's, it'll be good to go to a tight 'old school' ground, full, under lights and everyone up for it. We won't have it easy, but I'm hoping the Defoe situation might be sorted by then (i.e. we've got shot of the little ######) and we've got in/ back a midfielder or two, otherwise it'll be tough.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the day.

Nice, Cheers!

To be fair you probably had the best of the game but we battled hard and deservedly earnt our replay!!

From where is was stood the atmosphere was immense and I can't remember when we did shut up???

AG certainly won't be easy for you and Defoe will be gone by then :):)

absolutly agree,

I now have a question when did you sing at all. Lets face it you only have one song.

One of the best atmospheres this season... thoroughly enjoyed :)

absolutly agree,

I now have a question when did you sing at all. Lets face it you only have one song.

:)

I think I explained that. The crowd are not happy at the moment and many stayed away today - partly because of cost - I pay £600 for a Season Ticket and with the UEFA Cup games, many are struggling to justify the cost of football at the moment - Portsmouth is still quite a working class poor place - so the high ticket prices are denying many of the old fans who simply can't justify the cost. No disrespect but Bristol City at home isn't going to compete with Prem games or AC Milan when it comes to picking and choosing games.

The AC Milan game showed what Fratton can be like and it was immense.

We have more than one song, but there is currently a lot of disruption due to Westwood (the **** with the bell) who just sings generic ner ner ners all the time. He's been moved to the Milton End (home section) in recent months but was back in the Fratton End today as you had the whole Milton End. You should see a better example of our support and song sheet at Ashton Gate.

Nice, Cheers!

To be fair you probably had the best of the game but we battled hard and deservedly earnt our replay!!

From where is was stood the atmosphere was immense and I can't remember when we did shut up???

AG certainly won't be easy for you and Defoe will be gone by then :):)

Agree with that.

City stuck at it, with special mention to Elliott who was immense and McCombe who did well against Crouch. Also impressed with Adebola's cameo who gave both Distain and Cambell a torid 30 mins. The game also showed we need some more creativity to progress but with the players avialable the team gave a very good account of themselves.

Just thought you'd like to know how I saw the game from our (Pompey) point of view as I've been on here a few times in the last day or two.

As I predicted, the game was very much like the games we played v Ipswich, Plymouth and Preston last year, where you gave a good account of yourselves both on and off the pitch.

You obviously filled the away end (as expected) and you made a decent amount of noise, though (don't shoot me) I thought Plymouth were more consistent with their signing last season (they did go 1-0 up early on though, so had something to sing about for half an hour).

On the pitch Adams 4-5-1 tactic was very odd. We are short of quality in the middle due to Redknapp's failure to replace Muntari/ Mendes and the sale of Diarra. We also had Hughes and Diop out through injury, so it was very much a patched up team with Marc Wilson (played about 4 games for us at right back) played in the centre and Martin Crainie coming in (having been on loan all season with Charlton).

I can only assume Adams thought the personnel available wasn't strong enough and made up for it in numbers, but playing 1 up front at home wasn't what we wanted.

After 20 mins you'd not really troubled us and I felt it was time to push Nugent up with Crouch (he's no target man) as Nugent hadn't had a touch stuck out wide. Alas Adams showed his weakness for not changing things, and so we went with what we started with.

Overall I thought we were pretty comfortable with what you had, and James was only called on for a couple of long distance efforts and the tip over the bar. We had much of the (scrappy) play but whenever we did get a sight on goal your boys put their bodies on the line for the cause.

So very much like last season's games v Championship opposition, except we didn't sneak a win and this time the "they deserved a replay" line came true. When you see what's happened to City and Stoke today, you just have to be thankful you're still in the draw at the end of the day.

Just a shame the thousands of 'deserving causes' who were around for semi and final tickets (plus the 250,000 who turned up for the victory parade) last season didn't bother today. Of the 11,000 Pompey there today I'd say 2-3,000 were newbies taking in the chance of seeing a game. That means no more than 8-9,000 regulars bothered today and that showed in the very subdued atmosphere from us. Very poor - but it seems that's what the Prem does to people.

I'm looking forward to a trip to Ashton Gate - when you've done all the Prem grounds, many with soulless atmosphere's, it'll be good to go to a tight 'old school' ground, full, under lights and everyone up for it. We won't have it easy, but I'm hoping the Defoe situation might be sorted by then (i.e. we've got shot of the little ######) and we've got in/ back a midfielder or two, otherwise it'll be tough.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the day.

Plymouth fans sing? :noexpression:

I think that was a very fair assessment of the game. Definitely not a classic for the neutral, and whilst Pompey had more of the possession, little was created. I was very glad that Plan A of 'lump the ball at Crouch' remained the only option, and that he was not brave enough to play Nugent up front, or bring on Kanu. I heard Adams being interviewed after the game, and I really feel sorry for you guys. He just droned on about 'keeping it tight' and 'not conceding goals', so I think you have a lot of dull matches ahead of you.

See you a week Tuesday, and next season (If we don't get promoted/ relegated!). Sorry, unless you get a proper Manager I really can't see you staying up.

I think that sums the match up perfectly The Riddle.

I think our defense and midfield coped with your attacking options excellently, although you are right in saying that we never seriously threatened either. Maybe if our strikers were awake and got themselves into more difficult positions, we may have had more chances and possibly even nicked it.

Point taken about your home support... When you play Manchester United, Arsenal and even AC Milan week after week I don't expect your fans to turn up and make an electric atmosphere against a mid table Championship side in the FA cup 3rd round!! Guess it would be the equivelant of us playing say Northampton or Leyton Orient in an early round.

Guest MaloneFM
We have more than one song, but there is currently a lot of disruption due to Westwood (the **** with the bell) who just sings generic ner ner ners all the time.

We have a Westwood. He's called Timothy. He is a bell end ringer. Never actually seen him at a game so never heard his bell end ringing. But some of the young people posting on here listen to the jumpy rubbish on Radio 1 and assure me that he very much is one.

And by his imagining he is a big dog as well. What a coincidence!

I've often thought about that c**k with the bell at Pompey and surely you'd get well mugged off with that after a while?!? Is there a discount for being the poor sod who gets the seat next to him? Has he ever been started on by a fellow fan for never shutting the ###### up??

Archived