IGNORED

Today-admit It We Were C**p

sab

i thought we gave the ball away constantly today-both louis and boom boom were misfiring their long range passing and our midfield(apart from marv) consistently gave the ball away. We defended suberbly and our committment was 100% but am i the only one who thought we made it difficult for ourselves needlessly???

i thought we gave the ball away constantly today-both louis and boom boom were misfiring their long range passing and our midfield(apart from marv) consistently gave the ball away. We defended suberbly and our committment was 100% but am i the only one who thought we made it difficult for ourselves needlessly???

I wasn't there so can't comment, but if we really were crap against a side that talented, away fro, home, and we still got a draw, that'll do nicely thanks.

The aim today was clearly not to get beaten, we did that with a good grafting display. The pitch wasnt the best for any fast flowing football anyway.

A draw at the cup holders will do me.

Trot on.

We played against a Premier League side, the holders of the trophy, kept a clean sheet and had chances to win it. We now have a home reply, possibly on TV which could rake in £250k+. Cheer up, FFS!

I wasn't there so can't really say too much so I'll keep it short. From the stats I've seen; offensively we looked terrible. 13 shots to 3 and 11 corners to 1. The stats show we were on the backfoot from start to finish and the defence did enough of a job to keep the clean sheet.

I wasn't there so can't really say too much so I'll keep it short. From the stats I've seen; offensively we looked terrible. 13 shots to 3 and 11 corners to 1. The stats show we were on the backfoot from start to finish and the defence did enough of a job to keep the clean sheet.

So, from the stats, do you agree with Sab that we were c**p today, or was it actually 'job done'?

I went today,

and thought considering we were facing what could be considered a mini - injury crisis (or just a few of our squad members contracting Jermaine De Foe's transferitis ) that it was a great result to come away with 0-0, and that McCombe & Carey did a fantastic job in keeping Crouch and Kranjcar under wraps.

Offensively we were never going to set the world alight with just Stern John up front, Maynard, McCindoe, and Trundle all not featured with no natural left-sided LM. Also on another positive I thought Stryver looked good despite being played out of position (the cross field ball to Sproule from one wing to the other a particular highlight) Looking forward to seeing him in his favoured role.

Despite their problems, Portsmouth have top class players, and we shouldn't forget that when judging today's performance, and throw in the atmosphere aswell, it was a great day out.

So yeah. Job done in my book.

yes awful considering it was pretty much a make shifit midfield and having play our new striker even though short on fitness. we have got them athome sounded like boom boom had great game marking crouch even if his passing wasn't the best he kept crouch at bay thats enough for me oh and people who went says he was man of the match... it was never going to be easy so lets not pretend we could of won this game did great to get a draw and now have a better chance at home but like GJ says " we are still underdogs"

The stats also show that they are in the league above us. We got a draw, bring on the replay at the gate, onwards to The Emirates...

Post #9 :)

Not there myself either, but the commentary would suggest the stats arn`t as conclusive as you have decided they are. I`m quite pleased with the result, although Southends late equaliser may scupper our chances of being on telly. It was obviously a very committed performance that more than compensated for the lack of quality, it`s the Cup ffs. Well done boys, i hope we can now get our thought s back to the league and pick our performances up from where we left them.

PDG

I thought Portsmouth outplayed us for parts of the game but never really looked like scoring (except the goal line clearance in the first half)

The defence played well and Boom Boom totally dominated Crouch.

We had a few chances but in truth neither goal keeper had much to do.

I thought at the start we would struggle to score without Maynard, McIndoe, Trundle and with Stern playing on his own upfront. We battled and deserved the draw and although at times we did look poor we were playing an established Premere league first team with key players missing.

Well done the team, manager and supporters.

i was trying to make the point that we lacked creativity and gave the ball away constantly- which made it harder for ourselves. Our defending was surperb and I am more than happy with the result. Just a case of getting frustrated with going back to the long ball from defence which we seemed to be getting away from in recent games

i was trying to make the point that we lacked creativity and gave the ball away constantly- which made it harder for ourselves. Our defending was surperb and I am more than happy with the result. Just a case of getting frustrated with going back to the long ball from defence which we seemed to be getting away from in recent games

Have to admit that Portsmouth should have won today in my opinion.

At least 2 cleared off the line (maybe 3 could not see from the other end of pitch whilst bouncing around!)

Free header on edge of 5 yard box headed wide.

We did not look like reating anything sp;id chances. (Most of today was half chances except the Orr header and possibly the Elliott header at the end had he got good head on it.)

LJ was terrible in the first half but credit to him was better in second half.

But then again we did have 6 subs instead of 7, our top scorer injured, our 1st choice LW injured and a player short of match fitness playing in an unusual position for him. And all against a team filled with internationals (and one of the bst CB in the Prem in Sylvin Distin.

So back to the Gate, hopefully on TV as I cannot get from my work in East London and back again to home in Kent ready for work the next day, and lets try and take them apart with our full team back on a surface condusive to playing flowing football not hoofball to a lanky beanpole

PS Marvin Elliott was superman today keeping Krancjar possibly one of the best creative CM in Prem quiet all game. Elliott MoM for me!!

At least 2 cleared off the line (maybe 3 could not see from the other end of pitch whilst bouncing around!)

We did not look like reating anything sp;id chances. (Most of today was half chances except the Orr header and possibly the Elliott header at the end had he got good head on it.)

But then again we did have 6 subs instead of 7, our top scorer injured, our 1st choice LW injured and a player short of match fitness playing in an unusual position for him. And all against a team filled with internationals (and one of the bst CB in the Prem in Sylvin Distin.

So back to the Gate, hopefully on TV as I cannot get from my work in East London and back again to home in Kent ready for work the next day, and lets try and take them apart with our full team back on a surface condusive to playing flowing football not hoofball to a lanky beanpole

PS Marvin Elliott was superman today keeping Krancjar possibly one of the best creative CM in Prem quiet all game. Elliott MoM for me!!

Agree entirely about Elliot, he broke up so many of their attacks and battled for everything in midfield and won most of it. LJ and CS didn't create that much but did what they could and the defence looked pretty solid. SJ did very little (again!) and Dele looked much more of a threat when he came on. We rode our luck at times but we were a bit makeshift so I reckon it was good result and if the header had fallen to Styvar at the end and not Bradley we may have even knicked it.

boom boom was immense today completely kept crouch out of the game - i understand what you are saying and a couple near me kept complaining a bit about boom's and fontaine's bit of hoof ball, but really what did you expect - them to play it out from our own box against Premier League opposition!!

get real it was an exceptional performance fron our defence and i think if sproule hadn't got injured or we had maynard to play then we could have knicked it.

Guest churchill gaffer

I must have been watching a different game.

I thought the defence was superb!

Nothing up front! But with a patched up team, I thought we were Great.

It reminded me of a parks game, as we could not even get a full team out.

We could only name 6 subs, instead of the usual rule for the FA cup, 7 subs.

We did look like a team that had just been put together, but the defence made us look like a very tight side.

A big well done to the effort put in by all that could play!!!!!!

And the best fans in the world, made the atmosphere great!

I agree. I wouldnt go as far as to say we were crap though!!! Thats a bit far

Basso was safe

Our defence was superb

Our midfield looked quite tough

But our creativity and final pass to the frontline was lacking

But as others have said, against an established Prem team away from home you can't really complain!

Guest RobbieTurner

I'm not in a position to comment having not gone yesterday but that said, both Radio Bristol and Sky Sports said City thoroughly deserved a replay.

Thats aside, We were playing a Premier League team away full of interntional stars, who just so happen to be the FA Cup holders....what exactly did you expect ???!!!

Some people are never satisfied.....!!

Seb is right in that we gave the ball away needlessly at times and looked toothless up front during the first half.

However, as the game went on I thought we grew in confidence and became more willing to play football - Attack Pompey down the wings, and get crosses into the box. Adebola did a great job there.

At the end of the day, you've got to remember the quality of the opposition. Portsmouth had Campbell, Nugent, Crouch and James in their team and well as quality players like Krankjaer and Distin. To restrict them to a minimum of chances and come away with a clean sheet and a replay is a good result for a mid table Championship team like ourselves.

Well done City.

The pitch was abysmal, with the ball bobbling all over the place. Several perfectly good passes simply bounced and spun away from the receiver. I assume none of Pompey's debt comes from overspending on ground staff. Neither side did much passing, with Pompey aiming for Crouch in the air. We improved when Dele came on as John was not holding the ball up. Oddly, Pompey might even benefit from playing on our superb pitch. But if they rely on Crouch then we can take them.

We did well yesterday ,the stats might make it look like we were under the cosh most of the time but never felt like that & we seemed to be getting into it more as the second half wore on. Could have pinched it at anytime really but happy with a draw .Was a great atmosphere too !!

I felt sorry for Lee J today. The Pompey fans were laughing everytime he got and lost the ball. I won't repeat what they called him.

Pompey were pretty awful but they are on a decline which will lead to relegation. Yesyerday was their lowest gate.

Sorry, I didn't go but listened intently to the commentary. I have to say the number of corners conceeded is always a concern with a premier league side - I always have this feeling that they could deliver that killer ball that we can't and from that moment we have to chase the game.

It did seem like we put in a decent defensive performance with Orr and Sproule possibly arriving at the right time but not just having that little bit of luck they needed.

Roll on the replay hope to be going.

Archived