IGNORED

Stern John

JackBCFC

he had a fair game i thought but he was lazy as usual in run towards the ball and did not really make any impact upfront, when adebola came on for him adebola was constantly causing problems for distain and campbell. I'm sort of glad we kept stern john till the end of the season but wish he would earn his money more rather than sitting on his ass constantly trying to win free kicks for being gently nudged in the back

Guest wheres your caravan??

Linked up the play well, was strong when challenging, didn't give the ball away.

Had a good game.

Dele had a good game when he came on, but i think that these 20 minute cameos are all he should be used for as he just isn't a good enough player to start.

On a score out of 10 I'm tempted to give him a 1!

However, he clearly brings much more to the game than I can see (especially for Maynard and Sproule) so I'll up his score to a 5 (4 extra for the things I didn't see). :noexpression:

I like John but thought he had a poor game! Although he was playing upfront on his own against Cambell and Distan!! With long balls getting played to him which he clearly isnt good at dealing with! Thought we looked a threat with Bola on but we were very direct! I would keep him as an impact player! Stern/styvar with maynard I'd start with!

Yeah to lazy should have started with Adebola.

Simple Statement, Adebola was better, coped and was often won the Ball overcoming the likes of Sol Campball and Distin.

Definatly Big Del is a starter for me a week tuesday

Dele was excellent when he came on - we actually kept the ball in their half form more than 30 seconds...

But he did get tired even though he was'nt on for very long!!

I predicted he'd be a useful player to come on for the last 10-20 minutes of games against knackered defenders and he is - But he would'nt be so effective if he started - he's simply coming to the end of his career and does not have the energy it seems.

Linked up the play well, was strong when challenging, didn't give the ball away.

Had a good game.

Dele had a good game when he came on, but i think that these 20 minute cameos are all he should be used for as he just isn't a good enough player to start.

Think thats harsh - just don't think he is FIT enough.

Clearly had a poor game - however what I really didn't like was how he reacted to being substituted, from where I was it looked like he ignored johnson's hand shake and walked staright past in a strop and GJ moved from his hand shake to a quick pat on back. Obviously he didn't want to come off against pompey but he was playing poorly and just got extended contract so to blank the boss is well out of order - could be interesting how it evolves!!

Clearly had a poor game - however what I really didn't like was how he reacted to being substituted, from where I was it looked like he ignored johnson's hand shake and walked staright past in a strop and GJ moved from his hand shake to a quick pat on back. Obviously he didn't want to come off against pompey but he was playing poorly and just got extended contract so to blank the boss is well out of order - could be interesting how it evolves!!

From where i was it lokked like he shook both adebolas and gjs hand however i think once again he was lazy uninterested and not really worth what we are paying him

Dele looked really dangerous when he came on and i think he should start on saturday

I've only seen him play twice since joining and my first impression is just that of the others - lazy. But why are we playing better football with him on the pitch than when Adebola was starting? Is it because we can't play the long ball game to him compared to Bola so we play a better style that suits others, or is it that his work is done more off the ball than on it by drawing defenders, playing clever passes etc? Don't have the answers but like that we are playing well again and don't want to change that... am sure GJ will feel the same.

i think Stern John was very poor. we were playing alot of long balls and with up having just him upfront and all he does is look for a free kick we were never going to hold the ball up.

Dele did well when he came on and we looked alot better with him up there. i personal wouldnt pick either of them but if we are playing the long ball game then u have to go with dele.

stern john should of been sent packing back to southampton he dosent add anything to our squad just frustrates me.

up the reds

I thought he was one of the worst on the pitch! He was very lazy and didn't make any forward runs which were played down the wing for him! Some of his touches were awful and I think Adebola had a much better game than John and he was on the pitch for less time so what does that say? The sooner he goes back to Southampton the better.

Gary Johnson on Stern John;

Manager Johnson talks in glowing terms of John's ability and willingness to hold the ball up with his back to goal and play the right pass at the right time to a colleague.

"He's a very clever player and you can see that he's been in the Premier League before now," claims Johnson.

"I think Stern's experience has helped us more than anything else. He's very good in the dressing room and he's helped some of the other lads come out of themselves. He's done the rounds and his experience has rubbed off on the others."

Johnson added: "It sometimes looks as though Stern isn't doing a great deal on the pitch. But I can assure our supporters he does a lot of good work which goes unnoticed.

"Although you won't see him rushing about on the pitch and making lung-busting runs down the channels, he's actually quite clever in his play. He works hard in trying to receive the ball and people don't see that.

"Even though we weren't winning games to begin with, we looked more like scoring goals from the moment Stern John joined us.

"He sets himself to receive the ball, which means the two centre-halves have to be right on his back to stop him turning and causing them problems. If they're right on his back, that creates more room for us to pass the ball in behind and get runners into the opposition penalty area.

"Stern may only have scored a couple of goals himself, but he makes chances for others and brings players into the game."

I just don't buy any of this does a lot of work which people don't see spin......we all watch the same game. If Stern worked hard we would all see it.....the basic fact is he doesnt. What really annoyed me about Sat was i expected Stern to be a bit more fired up being that he is a Southampton player playing against Portsmouth but he didnt seem to show any passion whatsoever.

Against the likes of Campbell and Distin you either have to be very tricky/skillful or really work hard and put yourself about a bit to have any chance. SJ demonstrated very little trickery and skill, and as for hard work and putting himself about, well all I would say is Dele seemed to cause them a lot more problems when he came on and looked a far greater threat.

Against the likes of Campbell and Distin you either have to be very tricky/skillful or really work hard and put yourself about a bit to have any chance. SJ demonstrated very little trickery and skill, and as for hard work and putting himself about, well all I would say is Dele seemed to cause them a lot more problems when he came on and looked a far greater threat.

I wasn't there but my understanding is that we played 1 upfront (SJ) & he got little support. I think far better strikers than SJ would struggle in that scenario when they are being marked by Distin & Campbell.

I thought he was one of the worst on the pitch! He was very lazy and didn't make any forward runs which were played down the wing for him! Some of his touches were awful and I think Adebola had a much better game than John and he was on the pitch for less time so what does that say? The sooner he goes back to Southampton the better.

That Bola's a good impact player for the last 10 minutes?

There was a marked difference in our play once Adebola replaced John. SJ hardly managed to control the ball all afternoon, when he did his distribution was poor. I recall at least one first half opportunity to put Sproule through but he passed the ball behind him (might of been a blessing though considering Sproule's attempts when he did get through!).

I think SJ is a good player and have been impressed with his touch on previous occasions, but as mentioned on previous posts he looks lazy. Maybe thats fitness, maybe thats his style, either way he's not winning the fans at the moment and that has to be addressed if he's here to stay. A lone striker up front needs his wide players to get beyond him and we did that on Saturday so he can't use that as an excuse. He had the kind of support that Adebola has been needing all season and didn't make the most of it.

I wasn't there but my understanding is that we played 1 upfront (SJ) & he got little support. I think far better strikers than SJ would struggle in that scenario when they are being marked by Distin & Campbell.

I thought we played 4-5-1 with just SJ up front but some on here seem to think it was a 4-3-3. Then again, on occasion it was the "What the hell is Liam Fontaine doing at left wing" formation!

With just SJ up front his main targets must have been to be available for the midfield and hold it up until some support arrived.

He failed miserably on both fronts. Ths isn't entirely his fault as, with no pace, he clearly doesn't suit 4-5-1. Having Campbell clamped onto your backside isn't going to make your lay offs any easier (alledgedly).

I think John needs a Maynard type player to bring out the best in him.

For me 4-5-1 is not for stern john, he has no pace or determination to use the pace he has and against two quality prem defenders and a packed midfield theres never going to be enough space for him in front of the defence to do what he does so he was never going to do much apart from hold up the ball and give the defenders a breather as his control is spot on. Especially as all 3 of our central midfielders were never supporting him that well as they were usually deep as expected when 2 were more defensive midfielders and LJ isnt exactly cut out as a box to box midfielder. Thats just my opinion though.

Archived