IGNORED

Somerset Fans

Ian M

• Admin

What's the score with Peter Bowler? From an outsider's point of view (Kent fan myself) always rated him as a fairly competent batsman and he seems to be in fairly good form in the early games so far this season. However, scouting through potential buys for the Telegraph's fantasy cricket game, Bowler is rated 1/9 price wise. Any reason why he wouldn't play this season? Is he really rubbish? Or is he a genuine steal?

My own tip from my County for other players is possibly Carberry. He'd not made a single first class century leading into this season but has scored a Century in each of our opening Championship games so should prove good value at 2/9.

Carberry's in great form at the moment. He blougened our (Gloucs.) attack for his 1st hundred. Dunno about Bowler. I thought he was made Somerset captain after Jamie Cox but it could be Mike Burns, always get those two mixed up. MIchael Clarke (Hants) is the must have player this season for me. Great talent.

• Admin

Keep it up Guys (and any enlightened gals out there can too :laugh: ), I was looking to spend about 5/9 on a wicketkeeper anyway which is exactly what Wallace costs. Clarke appears to indeed be a bargain at 1/9 for the allrounder spot. Powell could prove to be good value at 5/9.

OK... Bowler could be good value because he has scored runs in the initial games and will keep his place and possibly score a lot more runs.

Go for Bowler and also go for Aaron Laraman is he's cheap :laugh:

What's the score with Peter Bowler? From an outsider's point of view (Kent fan myself) always rated him as a fairly competent batsman and he seems to be in fairly good form in the early games so far this season. However, scouting through potential buys for the Telegraph's fantasy cricket game, Bowler is rated 1/9 price wise. Any reason why he wouldn't play this season? Is he really rubbish? Or is he a genuine steal?

My own tip from my County for other players is possibly Carberry. He'd not made a single first class century leading into this season but has scored a Century in each of our opening Championship games so should prove good value at 2/9.

I can only assume that as Peter Bowler is 72, that The Telegraph have assumed that he wont play every game in the season. Considering that Trescothick is likely to play 1 or 2 county games at most and that the other openers are fairly inexperienced (especially when we're pushing for the Championship late on in the season!) I'd say that old Pete would play more than his fair share.

I wouldn't chuck all your money on Laraman just yet. With Blackwell set to return shortly there is no guarantee that he'll be a regular. Similarly Jamie Cox will only be playing until Ricky Ponting turns up for his brief spell at Taunton (assuming that Nixon Mclean is paicked).

Another one I forgot to mention earlier is Alex Gidman, definately keep an eye on him. He's a middle/top order batsman, think he bats 5 for Gloucs, and takes the odd wicket with his gentle outswingers. Already skipper of the England-A team and a hot tip to be the next player fastracked into the England team. Not sure what classification he'd be under, probably all rounder I guess.

Archived