IGNORED

Trundle - Do You Rate Him?

the_riddle

Hard to tell the feeling you have for him on here. Seen a few posts but don't know if people mean what they say or are having a joke etc.

I have a mate from Swansea (he's getting excited about a Pompey v Swansea 4th Round tie - be a shame to disappoint him! (wink thing)) and he loved Trundle when they were in the 4th Div (whatever it's called now) but he also said he was a show pony and would struggle in the top leagues.

I saw him play at The Vetch Field (the penultimate game there) and indeed he was full of tricks, but so selfish - it was really annoying and I don't even care for Swansea!

Having watched a lot of Premier League football and having seen us linked with him around that time, I was keen to avoid him as I couldn't see him cutting in the Premier League, although I felt he deserved a chance at Championship level.

So when I saw he'd moved to you lot, I thought it was a good move for him as you were a team on the up, and it seemed to be going well for him last season (looking on from afar).

So what's the score now?

Personally I am not overly bothered if he stays or goes. There is no doubting the guys outstanding ability and when he puts on a show he puts on a show but for every quality game there is another half dozen of being ineffective.

spot on.

Always tries his best to be fair to him though, can never doubt his effort to the cause. Cant do the simple things correctly and cant hold the ball up to save his life

With the ball at his feet he can do things that many others in this league (and the prem) couldnt even dream of. but unfortunately he struggles to get into dangerous positions to unleash the 'bag of tricks', and most other elements of his game inc pace don't really cut it in the championship. Great pro though and seems like a great guy for dressing room morale aswell

some argue he hasnt had a fair crack here but he has had at least a decent chance to establish himself across the last 1.5 seasons.

Id love to see him back in league 1 destroying defences, scoring goals and showboating till the cows come home, its shame to see such a cult hero to all football fans sitting on the bench and possibly a bit out of his depth when he only has a few years left.

plus i believe we are paying him he kind of wage that should be reserved for first name on the teamsheet.

As an overall package - nope.

As an impact player, coming off the bench, something different maybe. Can`t keep paying his wages for that role though tbh.

He`s tried but i just think at this level he needs a bit more to his game to be guaranteed a starting berth. Shame `cos there`s no doubt on his day he can entertain.

PDG

He always gives 100% and for what, at the time, a massive signing, has never been given the chances that I expected him to be given.

When Maynard joined my initial reaction was - at last - someone Trundle can form a consistent strike partnership with - but that clearly wasn't Gary's intention.

As a player I think he has obvious talent, has never really settled at this level for reasons unknown. Would be sad to lose him as a squad player, however as Gary clearly has no intention of playing him, I feel sorry for the bloke and hope he gets a move elsewhere, where he can play regular first team football again

Hard to tell the feeling you have for him on here. Seen a few posts but don't know if people mean what they say or are having a joke etc.

I have a mate from Swansea (he's getting excited about a Pompey v Swansea 4th Round tie - be a shame to disappoint him! (wink thing)) and he loved Trundle when they were in the 4th Div (whatever it's called now) but he also said he was a show pony and would struggle in the top leagues.

I saw him play at The Vetch Field (the penultimate game there) and indeed he was full of tricks, but so selfish - it was really annoying and I don't even care for Swansea!

Having watched a lot of Premier League football and having seen us linked with him around that time, I was keen to avoid him as I couldn't see him cutting in the Premier League, although I felt he deserved a chance at Championship level.

So when I saw he'd moved to you lot, I thought it was a good move for him as you were a team on the up, and it seemed to be going well for him last season (looking on from afar).

So what's the score now?

This is a big reason why he's struggled. He was used to being a main man in the team - But GJ philosophy is a team mentality where every player works hard.

don't get me wrong, I'll never totally write him off, because when he's in the mood, he's a fantastic player. But he's not in that mood very often. Also, he's got no pace, he's very slow and the works against him very much.

When you consider he's on 10k a week, he's not really worth it and if another club offered to take him off us for nothing, It would be good business to get him off our wagebill.

As an overall package - nope.

As an impact player, coming off the bench, something different maybe. Can`t keep paying his wages for that role though tbh.

He`s tried but i just think at this level he needs a bit more to his game to be guaranteed a starting berth. Shame `cos there`s no doubt on his day he can entertain.

PDG

He started the first nine league games last season, but our best form of the season (starting with the sublime home victory against Sheffield United) coincided with him being relegated to the bench.

I don't think Trundle is a striker now, simple as that. In my view he needs to be played either as the advanced player in a middle 5 or on the left wing. When he came on as sub against Plymouth and played on the left earlier in the season, he looked awesome. I wonder if he could sustain 90 minutes in that position though? No faulting the guy's attitude though.

Thanks for the replies.

You seem to confirm what I thought of him. Full of tricks, but then so is that Mr Woo the ball juggler!

From what I saw of him he would rather take on an extra man than play the obvious simple ball that would've benefited the team. He also looked too slow to play at the highest level where he'd quickly be found out.

I suppose it's for these reasons no one in the Prem took a gamble on him.

I think he's one of those lower league enigmas, sort of like Steve Bull, who could gain a reputation as a player without actually being tested at the highest level - and good luck to him for achieving that.

From my experience of the Championship (and I had lots between 1988 and 2003!) you can afford one 'luxury' player but he's either got to be superb (Prosinecki) and let the ball do all the work, or he's got to put the effort in as well (Merson). Both of those were midfielders, and that's where their impact can be best used.

I don't see Trundle being anything other than an impact player at best at Championship level, and it seems, from what you are saying, that's the case.

Great attitude, and seems to be a nice guy but I think he left it a little to late in his career to make the step up. He was a big fish in a little pond for so many years, guess he didn't want to leave that all behind. Now it's to late.

There's no doubting his ability, but an impact player at best. On his wages, we need a little more I'm afraid

After 15 minutes of his debut against QPR it was obvious he was far to slow, in everything he attempted, for a step up into a higher league. Hence rate him - NO.

Consider to be total waste of transfer fee and wages.

Started to cement my thoughts on the quality of the scouting staff particularly in the mid - field and up front positions. Far too many lacking the quality for this league.

Great attitude, and seems to be a nice guy but I think he left it a little to late in his career to make the step up. He was a big fish in a little pond for so many years, guess he didn't want to leave that all behind. Now it's to late.

There's no doubting his ability, but an impact player at best. On his wages, we need a little more I'm afraid

Agreed the quality is there, lost a bit of weight and got him self into good shape. I still think he wasnt given a long eough run in the starting Line-up, and i am pretty sure it aint going to happen now. Said it many times, he would have been the perfect partner for Maynard. As much i want him to stay, I am geting to the opinion now that i would like him to be playing elsewhere (Swansea, Leeds wherever) and getting regular first team football, scoring goals and basically enjoying football again.

But who knows with the roller coaster we know as Bristol City, After all thats why we love the game!!!!!!

So what's the score now?

Trundle is a decent bloke and I rate him as a player. Whilst some fans struggle to see it, Trundle does have the capacity to adapt his game to suit the championship (unlike another city player...oh lets not even go there) In his first season here he was largely inconsistent, some games he would really pose an attacking threat that none of our other players could whilst against alternate opposition he looked slow and innefective. What I see from him this season is the ability to get the ball into his feet, hold off his man (which he struggled with last year) and pick out the right pass at the right time. Trundle seems to have this nack of knowing which is the best option based on who is around him. He also seems to know now when it is the right time to use skill or to get the ball in quick. On the whole Trundle looks much more like a championship player based on his appearences thus far. The problem is he is in a state of limbo in our squad where he can't get a start and is now subject to cameo appearences. It is dissapointing to see this but Maynard's performances have rapidly improved over the last few weeks. In my opinion I'd have the Trundle/Maynard partenership over John/Maynard any day but I'm not the manager.

(Someone is bound to say good job too now...)

Trundle's not reliant on being in the mood or doing tricks - what he is dependant on is the ball being played to his feet and being played consistently up front with a strike partner similar to that with which he has thrived elsewhere.

He's had none of those things at BCFC and we've wasted the talents of an outstanding player.

We won't see his like at AG again for a very long time and as City fans that will be our loss.

Trundle and Maynard for me every time.

Fabulous player in the lower leagues, his record speaks for itself. Dosnt get much change out of ccc defenders and often runs into brick walls. We love him as a top top guy here in Brizzy, but unfortunately dosnt have enough about his game to warrant 1 million at this level,shame really as City fans were so excited when we first signed him. When he does move on he will be fondly remembered here at the Gate and would receive a warm welcome if he came here with a new club

He just isn't good enough at this level. He has showed flashes of brilliance like S****horpe at home last season but overall he doesn't offer much except tricks. Shame because he is clearly a likeable guy and tries hard but the consistency in his brilliance just isn't there to warrant a place in the team.

Wasted at City the barely played to his strengths despite the massive transfer fee, didn't get played alongside a target man till late last season when he showed his best form for us.

Has been a much better player this season, but despite playing well when coming on, doesn't get the chance to follow it up in following games., one example was earlier in the season he came on at half time with us 2-0 and totally turned the game around and got us to 2-2 (think Beckham v Greece), but then wasn't given a start in the following game and was dropped totally the game after........

Quite simply,YES,YES,YES I rate him! When he gets the ball to his feet(which does not seem to happen enough),he makes things happen.As for this,cant hold the ball up? where does that come from? if the ball is played in with any quality,the ball is killed dead and then moved on.But not if its around 8ft high in the air(although he would have a good go!).Would suit this new 4-3-3 formation we are playing,heard he would of started Saturday if he was not ill.So if he was given a decent run of games and not looking like no matter what he does he would get subbed after 70-75 minutes,I'm positive he would come up with the goods.He seems to be a good guy to have around as well (always encouraging people,especally young Maynard ,which to me says a lot about him.As Maynard is obvious competition).As for the pace issue,cant argue with that,but neither did Teddy Sheringham and he seemed to get by o.k. Next time Trundle is on the pitch,watch his movement towards the player with the ball or across the line of the defenders and you will see he seems to be a couple passes ahead of some players,therefore never gets the ball in the areas he wants it in.So yes I think you could say I rate him!!!

I rate him very highly and just wish the bloke could be given a decent run in the team with Maynard. I think those two could be made for each other. He is a joy to watch with the ball at his feet, and is the one player we have that can conjure something up out of nothing.. Not been given a decent crack at it in my opinion and has been / is being wasted on the bench.

Quite simply,YES,YES,YES I rate him! When he gets the ball to his feet(which does not seem to happen enough),he makes things happen.As for this,cant hold the ball up? where does that come from? if the ball is played in with any quality,the ball is killed dead and then moved on.But not if its around 8ft high in the air(although he would have a good go!).Would suit this new 4-3-3 formation we are playing,heard he would of started Saturday if he was not ill.So if he was given a decent run of games and not looking like no matter what he does he would get subbed after 70-75 minutes,I'm positive he would come up with the goods.He seems to be a good guy to have around as well (always encouraging people,especally young Maynard ,which to me says a lot about him.As Maynard is obvious competition).As for the pace issue,cant argue with that,but neither did Teddy Sheringham and he seemed to get by o.k. Next time Trundle is on the pitch,watch his movement towards the player with the ball or across the line of the defenders and you will see he seems to be a couple passes ahead of some players,therefore never gets the ball in the areas he wants it in.So yes I think you could say I rate him!!!

Sheringham was a totally different style of player to Trundle, a real poacher who knew where to put himself about in and around the box. He relied heavily on the ability of players around him to supply the quality and he took care of the rest.

Trundle, is not that sort of player. He likes his tricks but hasn`t the pace he needs to back them up at this level. No good dodging a challenge if you can`t get away from the next one. I like the bloke, i just don`t think he gives us what we need. Sorry.

PDG

Sheringham was a totally different style of player to Trundle, a real poacher who knew where to put himself about in and around the box. He relied heavily on the ability of players around him to supply the quality and he took care of the rest.

Trundle, is not that sort of player. He likes his tricks but hasn`t the pace he needs to back them up at this level. No good dodging a challenge if you can`t get away from the next one. I like the bloke, i just don`t think he gives us what we need. Sorry.

PDG

Agree to the fact that Sheringham was a different type of player.But I brought him up because of the constant referense to Trundles lack of pace.Also you brought up the point about Sheringham realied on the quality of players around him,which again,I agree with,but that was my point when talking about the service Trundle receives.As for the tricks comment,I think they are used to gain yourself a yard or two,to get off a shot or pass,but unfortunately,we don't seem to give him the service in the areas which they would be most affective.(refer to my lack of service comments) So don't be sorry,I think in a strange way,we agree with each other.

Archived