IGNORED

Hard Luck Lads

dezgimed

We looked very good on the box tonight, at times hard to tell who were the Prem outfit.

Think we've been hard done by, a draw at least would have been fair, and the chances we missed, could well have won it.

Special mention to Marvin, Johnson and Sproule, all class.

How fortunate were Pompey though, 2 Crouch handballs in our box for their first, and I swear the ball went out for our corner before their 2nd!

Did ourselves proud anyway.

:icecream:

We looked very good on the box tonight, at times hard to tell who were the Prem outfit.

Think we've been hard done by, a draw at least would have been fair, and the chances we missed, could well have won it.

How fortunate were Pompey though, 2 Crouch handballs in our box for their first, and I swear the ball went out for our corner before their 2nd!

I agree with every word of that. Unfortunately the 'Expert' pundits didn't. "Pompey deserved to win", "Pompey showed their Class" etc, would it have KILLED them to give us a little credit, I thought they shaved the first half (dodgy decision before the goal), we murdered them second half (dodgy decision before the goal).

BTW, all credit to Gary in his post match interview, the guy showed good grace and a lot of class - are you listening Sir Alec? Arsene? Jose?

Yes agree, I'm actually very pleased with this performance even though we lost, apart from the first dodgy 20 mins, the whole team tried so hard and where well up for it. Elliott was class did not really put a foot wrong, Maynard looked sharp, Sproule was a danger and exciting but still needs some work he could be one hell of a player if he can work on some aspects of his game.

Well done city :chant6ez:

I don't think you can say Portsmouth were class but they gave the sort of performance i have seen time and time again by Premier clubs against championship sides in the cup. They were not spectacular but created and finished the 2 decisive chances where as we put in a decent and brave challenge but just lacked that extra quality in the final 3rd that you need against these teams.

I think we can take a lot of positives out of the game though.James was arguably man of the match and Maynard for me is looking sharper and more confident with every game and it was a shame he couldnt convert that penalty.

Hard luck lads.....Bring on the Wolves!!!!!!! :bruce_h4h:

Great display tonight and never deserved to be the losing team, however have to say must have been a different game on the box, as Johnson was our worst player tonight, passing dreadful 4 times in first half gave away easy passes to Portsmouth, I am a Johnson fan and would play him but tonight he was not at the races compared to recent performances by him which have been improved.

Great display tonight and never deserved to be the losing team, however have to say must have been a different game on the box, as Johnson was our worst player tonight, passing dreadful 4 times in first half gave away easy passes to Portsmouth, I am a Johnson fan and would play him but tonight he was not at the races compared to recent performances by him which have been improved.

I thought he passed the ball about quicker/more forward than usual.

Could have scored too with that 2nd half header, what a moment that would've been.

LJ played really well tonight. Didn't win all his tackles (neither did Elliott) gave the ball away at times (ala Skuse, carey, mccomb, orr) but like Elliott and Skuse put in a huge amount of effort and the 3 of them were a credit to their profession for me.

hahaha oh wait you're serious :disapointed2se:

LJ was immense today!

Different game indeed. I admittedly missed the first 10 mins but LJ didn't give the ball away once after that and set up about 5 half-chances. His set piece taking was also excellent.

Man of the match surely Sproule though. He skinned their left back at least 5 times and often the midfielder at the same time.

Pretty shocking defence in the first half - they gave the ball to Pompey forwards 3 times in 15 mins. :noexpression:

Luckily Pompey forwards suck else we'd have been 4+ down at half-time.

Their first goal looked like a soft goal. Wasn't sure who missed the interception (Carey?)

Their second goal was a nice counter attack and shame on City that no-one tracked back. If they had, they could have covered the third man and Carey could have covered Kranjcar.

Pompey's work rate was in a different league (literally I guess).

The chances didn't fall for us again. Maynard looked dangerous. Styvar looked rushed - I'd say he's going to take a while to get his game working at this pace.

Different game indeed. I admittedly missed the first 10 mins but LJ didn't give the ball away once after that and set up about 5 half-chances. His set piece taking was also excellent.

Man of the match surely Sproule though. He skinned their left back at least 5 times and often the midfielder at the same time.

Pretty shocking defence in the first half - they gave the ball to Pompey forwards 3 times in 15 mins. :noexpression:

Their first goal looked like a soft goal. Wasn't sure who missed the interception (Carey?)

Their second goal was a nice counter attack and shame on City that no-one tracked back. If they had, they could have covered the third man and Carey could have covered Kranjcar.

The chances didn't fall for us again. Maynard looked dangerous. Styvar looked rushed - I'd say he's going to take a while to get his game working at this pace.

tbh they would never have caught up with the attack... sproule was sprinting back like a madman and he still was nowhere near the pompey players ... it wasnt really people not tracking back, just a classic counter attack, break away move at pace.

tbh they would never have caught up with the attack... sproule was sprinting back like a madman and he still was nowhere near the pompey players ... it wasnt really people not tracking back, just a classic counter attack, break away move at pace.

I'm guessing Sproule was quite deep then. :dunno:

We need a new display that shows replays. :mafia:

Bit harsh on Sproule I feel!

He ran back 100+ yards from the Dolman corner flag to the edge of the box on the Williams side, and very nearly got there.

I thought we played OK, without being great.

Sproule looked threatening when running at players but he needs to be able to do this without having to keep his head down so much so he can see where to put his final ball. At least he's worked out that he's quick enough to just knock it past them and run.

Skuse had a particularly good game, covered lots of ground and put in some decent challenges, as did Elliott who was a real physical presence - I also thought Nicky Maynard showed improvement all round.

LJ had one of his better games this season and played a few decent passes supporting the attacking play well. Set pieces still a bit lacking on last season and no matter how great his passing gets he will never win the crowd over when he bottles 50/50s which he did several times.

Styvar looked a clever player but was quite isolated, I'd like to see him in a 442 - not convinced by 433 as a formation when you don't have two exceptional wingers who score goals and we don't.

Defensively we weren't too bad, I thought we could have done better with the first goal but after that we had to chase the game and only really got caught on the break.

I was a bit surprised that we managed to pick 18 players and not include the only player left in the squad who seems to have the potential to produce a little magic even on the bench - how did Noble get left out? I also think the impact that John and Adebola didn't make shows that there is a use for Trundle. In fact I'd rather have brought on Akinde late in a game like that than either of those truth be told.

The difference between the two sides was that the chances Portsmouth created were fewer but far higher quality and apart from a few pingball sessions following set plays we didn't really trouble them from open play much considering how much possession we actually had.

Bit harsh on Sproule I feel!

He ran back 100+ yards from the Dolman corner flag to the edge of the box on the Williams side, and very nearly got there.

One of Sproule's strengths I think - he gets back far more than people might think.

Again our most dangerous player tonight, his improvement is startling and I suspect most of it is down to confidence.

I thought we played OK, without being great.

Sproule looked threatening when running at players but he needs to be able to do this without having to keep his head down so much so he can see where to put his final ball. At least he's worked out that he's quick enough to just knock it past them and run.

Skuse had a particularly good game, covered lots of ground and put in some decent challenges, as did Elliott who was a real physical presence - I also thought Nicky Maynard showed improvement all round.

LJ had one of his better games this season and played a few decent passes supporting the attacking play well. Set pieces still a bit lacking on last season and no matter how great his passing gets he will never win the crowd over when he bottles 50/50s which he did several times.

Styvar looked a clever player but was quite isolated, I'd like to see him in a 442 - not convinced by 433 as a formation when you don't have two exceptional wingers who score goals and we don't.

Defensively we weren't too bad, I thought we could have done better with the first goal but after that we had to chase the game and only really got caught on the break.

I was a bit surprised that we managed to pick 18 players and not include the only player left in the squad who seems to have the potential to produce a little magic even on the bench - how did Noble get left out? I also think the impact that John and Adebola didn't make shows that there is a use for Trundle. In fact I'd rather have brought on Akinde late in a game like that than either of those truth be told.

The difference between the two sides was that the chances Portsmouth created were fewer but far higher quality and apart from a few pingball sessions following set plays we didn't really trouble them from open play much considering how much possession we actually had.

You accuse LJ of 'bottling' several challenge, that's a big accusation to make. I think bottling is too harsh, after all how many times did he slide in on their players and win 50/50's.

Personally I thought he just got 'done' by more gifted players and couldn't get a challenge in.

You accuse LJ of 'bottling' several challenge, that's a big accusation to make. I think bottling is too harsh, after all how many times did he slide in on their players and win 50/50's.

Personally I thought he just got 'done' by more gifted players and couldn't get a challenge in.

Don't think it's harsh at all, I'm not talking about getting beaten or losing a challenge (wouldn't criticise a player for that providing they've tried), I'm talking about pulling out of a challenge that looks 50/50 by slowing up. He did that at least three times and it is the reason for a great deal of the criticism he gets.

Not correct to say LJ didnt give the ball away at after the first 10, because he did - however he had a good game, actually got into both penalty areas on a number of ocassions, played a clever reverse pass to set up a good chance, though I think to say 5 is stretching it, unbelievably had a header on goal, and even won a tackle. Long may that continue, if it does he will find a convert here.

Sproule had the beating of the left back - who was for me their best player in the first game - every time, however the final ball is a real frustration, and for that reason doesnt get MoM from me.

That has to go to Elliott, who was superb and determination personified. Closely followed by Skuse, who can consider himself very hard done by not to have previously been given the run in the side he is getting now.

Maynard is looking better and better, and sharper and sharper, and more confident as each game passes. Shocking penalty though. James will have done his homework and knew which way to go, the height of the ball even more of a bonus to him.

Pompey forwards as you say were pants, including Crouch, well especially Crouch as he was their only forward until, bizarrely, they went one up, after which time they seemed to have 3 or 4 up front on the counter attack.

To say no-one tracked back (the underline presumably being an answer to the criticism of LJ's deficiencies in that area, but one example hardly constituting a scientific study) for the second goal is not really much of a point IMO, as we were committed to pushing forward. Sproule being the quickest player on the pitch did his best, and to his credit never gave up, but it was a forlorn cause.

Styvar needs to improve, I don't recall one really telling contribution from his first 2 games.

Spoke to a few lads after the game who don't go to Ashton Gate but watched on TV. Their opinion - forwards not being given enough quality service. Did Noble have something more important to do this evening?

Overall, over 2 games Portsmouth did not seem that much better than us, as was the case with Middlesborough in the past 2 seasons, however since we keep losing to Premier sides, the gulf is probably wider than we'd like to believe.

Very accurate chants of wak-ner (sp) aimed at Distin towards the end of the game. Disgraceful, I would very much like to punch him.

I think the only place that Pompey "showed thier class" was in the very purposefull, forcefull way in which they used thier possesion- whicg at times seemed to come as a suprise to the player who had the ball!

They were able to quickly pass the ball between 2 or 3 of them and all of a sudden they were attacking.

Granted, often in the 2nd half we'd get the ball back well 'cos they just could not keep it but they always looked like they had a definite plan *as soon as* they won the ball.

And of course, the Premier League strikers were able to put away their chances.

But in reality we outplayed them for long periods and only conceeded a 2nd goal because of the belief in playing 4 up front to take the game!

(when/if) we get to the Premier League we could beat a number of teams on another day with a show like that. (and unlike Stoke we don't even have a gimmick in delap!)

Not correct to say LJ didnt give the ball away at after the first 10, because he did - however he had a good game, actually got into both penalty areas on a number of ocassions, played a clever reverse pass to set up a good chance, though I think to say 5 is stretching it, unbelievably had a header on goal, and even won a tackle. Long may that continue, if it does he will find a convert here.

Sproule had the beating of the left back - who was for me their best player in the first game - every time, however the final ball is a real frustration, and for that reason doesnt get MoM from me.

That has to go to Elliott, who was superb and determination personified. Closely followed by Skuse, who can consider himself very hard done by not to have previously been given the run in the side he is getting now.

Maynard is looking better and better, and sharper and sharper, and more confident as each game passes. Shocking penalty though. James will have done his homework and knew which way to go, the height of the ball even more of a bonus to him.

Pompey forwards as you say were pants, including Crouch, well especially Crouch as he was their only forward until, bizarrely, they went one up, after which time they seemed to have 3 or 4 up front on the counter attack.

To say no-one tracked back (the underline presumably being an answer to the criticism of LJ's deficiencies in that area, but one example hardly constituting a scientific study) for the second goal is not really much of a point IMO, as we were committed to pushing forward. Sproule being the quickest player on the pitch did his best, and to his credit never gave up, but it was a forlorn cause.

Styvar needs to improve, I don't recall one really telling contribution from his first 2 games.

Spoke to a few lads after the game who don't go to Ashton Gate but watched on TV. Their opinion - forwards not being given enough quality service. Did Noble have something more important to do this evening?

Overall, over 2 games Portsmouth did not seem that much better than us, as was the case with Middlesborough in the past 2 seasons, however since we keep losing to Premier sides, the gulf is probably wider than we'd like to believe.

Very accurate chants of wak-ner (sp) aimed at Distin towards the end of the game. Disgraceful, I would very much like to punch him.

He sometimes does this and it does get noticed.

But, for me, McIndoe is worse in that respect and it probably doesn't get noticed as much. There was a "bounce-up" in the Palace game and he pulled his foot out of that - why get involved in it FFS ? Drives me mad.

But all players have their weaknesses, especially at this level, like Sproule who can't run without his eyes watching what his feet are doing, or McCombe who has to really concentrate to pass the ball 10 yards instead of lumping it, they have their positive attributes to compensate but if they didn't have those weaknesses they wouldn't be playing for us.

But I think Johnson had a really impressive game tonight, and Elliott looked back to his best, with Maynard looking the business.

Wolves will be another storming game methinks and I'm looking forward to that one.

I agree all players have weaknesses and like I said I think that was one of his better games overall - forgot to mention that reverse pass NickJ reminded me of, it was excellent.

McIndoe's often a culprit too I agree. The problem is that it's probably one thing that the city crowd is extremely unforgiving of. Let's face it, if the best ball player we've had since I've been alive can get stick for not tackling hard enough (Tinnion) then anyone else who does it is going to get worse.

I think LJ could really do himself a favour with the critics by just gritting his teeth and getting in there, and when I've played and seen players injured it's usually the ones who have gone in half hearted that get the worst of it.

A good game and showing City are getting back to form although still that final missing link to providing decent chances for the front two or maybe that was just because the portsmouth defence were so good. I think the first goal was a shambles and would of been great to hung on to half time having said that we put on lots of pressure just before the first goal and most of the second half. Were lucky not to loose by more in the end though. But in general a good game skuse,mcombe,elliot and maynard being the best on form. Although I think the subs made gave us less chance rather than more. I agree with nibor why no noble I think he would of least created a few chances if he came on for 15 mins at least disappointed really as we all know he can create chances I know maybe he can do as much fitness as GJ would like but on for a while would of helped the team I tend to think..

Don't think it's harsh at all, I'm not talking about getting beaten or losing a challenge (wouldn't criticise a player for that providing they've tried), I'm talking about pulling out of a challenge that looks 50/50 by slowing up. He did that at least three times and it is the reason for a great deal of the criticism he gets.

I don't get it, why would he pull out bearing in mind he's not averse to getting stuck in ? I know the occasions you mean, I think once he got 'megged, another occasion, Johnson (Glen) ghosted by him, dunno if he bottled that or not.

Archived