IGNORED

Peter Styvar - Early Impressions

bh red

Only played 2 games so far but what's the early views?

Personally........Doesn't look significately better than anyone else in his position at the moment

Hopefully though he'll improve once he settles into the country, club and the style of english football

Cup games are a different type of tension, tonight there was an expectation to match or better the performance of a Premier League team. For any player coming into this country to play the Cup hold a special place. Yes every game is going to be important but losing or drawing a game doesn't put you out of the league as a loss in the cup does. I'm sure Styver will play an active part if we do start climbing the league table and as he settles in and gets to know the lads (and the language) better we will see a quality player.

Cup games are a different type of tension, tonight there was an expectation to match or better the performance of a Premier League team. For any player coming into this country to play the Cup hold a special place. Yes every game is going to be important but losing or drawing a game doesn't put you out of the league as a loss in the cup does. I'm sure Styver will play an active part if we do start climbing the league table and as he settles in and gets to know the lads (and the language) better we will see a quality player.

Yea I think you're right,a few good touches and his movement was good.What we need is for him to adapt quickly to the pace of the game here,Saturday will be another big test if he keeps his place

In terms of keeping his place, I think it must be a good sign- we all trust GJ's judgement, and he's seen the fella day in day out.

He seems commited, but hasn't really made an impact ...yet.

Again in the GJ we trust arc, what this fella needs is more games under his belt > Just look at how good Maynard is after "a preiod of settling in"

Looks like a very intelligent player and hungry for goal. His game is similar to Maynard's. Think he's got the same height, build and pace too. Styvar looks genuinely two-footed though.

Today, the Pompey defence looked absolutely solid apart from the poor left back. I was surprised Styvar started tonight but Stern John was anonymous when he replaced him. Maynard looked great but didn't get very far (and was trying to do everything himself).

So it would be quite a lot to expect from Styvar to distinguish himself.

He looked like he wasn't used to being marked so closely and was rushing when he tried to turn with the ball ie everything you'd expect from a European forward playing against a Premier League team.

As AK47 said, he's got to relearn his game at a much higher pace and learn to slip his marker better. So let's hope he is smart.

The team seem to like him. Given the similarity of their game he should be able to link well with Maynard - so they could well be scoring loads of goals towards the end of the season. :fingerscrossed:

Should he be starting ahead of John this early? :dunno:

He looked like a man who'd hardly played for the past few weeks and who was playing his second game in English football. If he'd been on the pace he'd definitely have scored from McCombe's knock-down.

When he got the ball he looked very comfortable, showed some nice touches and good vision. In fact at one point I was wondering if his vision might be a bit too good because he seemed to be trying passes to where team mates should have been, not where they actually were rather like Luke Wilkshire used to do.

Early days yet but he looks technically a lot better than any forward I've seen in a City shirt for a while.

Didn't think he was at his best last night, but as other people have pointed out his two games have been against Premier League opposition. I hope that he isn't going to get the abuse on here that Maynard got at the start of the season. Lets give him a chance, it's a massive change for him - he'll come good.

Yea I think you're right,a few good touches and his movement was good.What we need is for him to adapt quickly to the pace of the game here,Saturday will be another big test if he keeps his place

He was quoted as saying (after his first match) he could not believe how fast the pace of the English game.

Give him some time to adjust. :innocent06:

Looked like he had a really good touch, looked quite intelligent and seemed to know what he was doing on the ball, however didnt look like a goal threat, give him time though he looks promising!

Maybe when he plays a league game it might be a step down to him as he has only played against premier league opposition ;)

:fingerscrossed:

Only played 2 games so far but what's the early views?

Personally........Doesn't look significately better than anyone else in his position at the moment

Hopefully though he'll improve once he settles into the country, club and the style of english football

Early days yet. Must get used to the harder training, new team mates etc.

Coulden't see anything special in his game. Working hard but don't seems to have pace. Had a great chance (not the one when he was offside) but was happy with a corner instead of going for it. 28 years old and not yet a senior game for his country. As said, early days.

He looked decent last night considering he was up agianst an international quality defence, he reminds of Priskin who plays for Watford, big strong and he seems to have good touch.

But as has been said a billion times on this forum he will only be a sucess IF we go out and buy a top quality play maker to give him the correct service.

Exciting Strikeforce now for the first time in a long time! Maynard looks like hes going to be a quality player, had a few glimpes last night eg dipping volley and the shot on the turn!

Now Styvar has come in he looks like the type of player we need, a tall striker, two good feet and a bit of pace, on first few sightings he also looks like he had the ingredients to be a decent CCC player.

Hopefully this is what we need to push us up the table and maybe take us on a play off charge like hull did when an unknown fraizer campbell came in last season :winner_third_h4h::innocent06:

Archived