IGNORED

A Pompey Fan's View Of The Game

the_riddle

Firstly thanks to NTTDS for your tips on where to park and pubs for last night.

Me and a couple of mates drove up in the afternoon and parked near the Nova Scotia, then went and had a couple of beers and some food in The Cottage. Then walked across the park to the ground - all thanks to your advice.

Had a great evening and thought it was a cracking cup tie and decent atmosphere - mainly from the fans in the same stand as us who made a good noise and some decent banter along the way (I even joined in with the anti Setanta stuff you were singing).

Game wise, I thought we started very brightly and wasted a few good openings with crap shooting. Other than James' save and a bit of a scramble, I felt we were worth our 1-0 HT lead even if we did get a break with the Crouch handball, which I did see unlike the ref!

It's those sort of breaks we've not had in recent weeks, so hopefully our luck is changing!

Second half we seemed to sit back and invite you on and our passing and possession was poorer. That meant we needed a bit of last ditch defending, but that's what we were great at last season and built our success on, so the 4-5-1 option (4-3-3) when attacking is the way to go for us. As I've said on here before, buying Defoe cocked this up, so well done Tony Adams for getting us back to basics, especially as we are so sort in midfield at the moment (Kaboul did well there last night).

Our best players were the difference, and for me they were Glen Johnson and Nadir Belhadj. Both broke well, attacked the space in front of them and drove us on from the back. Their pace and work rates are fantastic and it's a real pleasure to see those two playing for the club.

You probably deserved a goal on your endeavour, but that said our defending was solid and James showed that he's still a top keeper on his day. And yet another Pen save for us! Lost count how many now. Best seat in the house goes to John Utaka, who came on and then just watched the game around him. He's so frustrating as he showed early last year he has great ability and pace, but he's such a lazy ######er!

All in all it was just like our games in the cup last season where the Championship side gave a very good account of themselves, and I'm just happy to be in the hat for the next round - Swansea - so no doubt more of the same!!

Anyway, thanks for having me on this site the past couple of weeks, it's been great to get your views.

Good luck v Wolves on Sat and all the best for the rest of the season, if you play like you did last night then the Play-Off's should be achievable once again.

Always good to have opposition fans on here who make posts worth reading. I enjoyed the game despite losing and I think to be honest the quality showed. For all our possession we had less high quality chances and didn't take them. I think Pompey will stay up and I hope you do, but I reckon you'll have to replace Adams. Good luck with it and please take points off Pulis and his long ball shite merchants.

Good luck to you too. Enjoyed the Sailors Hornpipe but won't miss the sodding bell.

BTW can't believe you didn't have a drink in the Nova Scotia, real pub.

We went past the Nova Scotia, but had seen the sign for food at The Cottage - thought that was a decent boozer and it did nice food.

I'd personally love to shove Westwood's bell and bugle right up his arse - the blokes a c**k.

In Adams we believe - and after Sunday's win v Spurs he'll only be 3 points behind media darling Redknapp's haul for Spurs - and with a game in hand. Funny but the media won't point that out should it happen.

Adams is getting key players like Johnson back now, and with the poison Dwarf gone, we've gone back to the 4-5-1 which suits us. With a couple of decent additions we'll be fine this season and Adams WILL be a great manager - mark my words.

Good luck to you too. Enjoyed the Sailors Hornpipe but won't miss the sodding bell.

BTW can't believe you didn't have a drink in the Nova Scotia, real pub.

Thanks also from me for the parking advice. I parked outside the Cottage and was half expecting to find an ambush and my car on bricks when I got back but no problems.

:fingerscrossed:

My kids were with me so we didn't bother with the pub, as they moan like hell in boozers, but it would have been good to visit the Nova Scotia and the Avon Packet down Coronation Road, among many of my favourite Bristol pubs.

It was a great cup tie. We rode our luck at times but, with my blue glasses on, I thought we were well worth the victory. The fans in the same stand as us made some good noise. To be honest, I couldn't hear anything from the other stands but that was probably just the way the acoustics work in that part of the ground.

It was great to be back in Bristol. You are lucky to live in such a fantastic city. Good luck to you and hope we meet in the Premier League soon.

We went past the Nova Scotia, but had seen the sign for food at The Cottage - thought that was a decent boozer and it did nice food.

I'd personally love to shove Westwood's bell and bugle right up his arse - the blokes a c**k.

In Adams we believe - and after Sunday's win v Spurs he'll only be 3 points behind media darling Redknapp's haul for Spurs - and with a game in hand. Funny but the media won't point that out should it happen.

Adams is getting key players like Johnson back now, and with the poison Dwarf gone, we've gone back to the 4-5-1 which suits us. With a couple of decent additions we'll be fine this season and Adams WILL be a great manager - mark my words.

As a player Adams is a legend, and I don't say that about many Arsenal players.

However I have my reservations about his managerial capabilities. I noticed after his first game or so that he was quick to point out that it wouldnt be his team for 12 months - yet he'd just inherited a grossly over achieving club!!

Whats the problem with Westwood - he seems a harmless nutter to me.

Your left back is quality, and Johnson too.

James is still top class, a decent bloke, and has a magnificent surname.

Distin should have been kicked in the stomach very hard for trying to get back on the pitch when he was injured.

Lost some respect for Crouch - not for the penalty, but the throw in incident.

Krankaer (sp?) is a nob.

Fair play to you and your fans, made far more noise last night than at Fratton. Still not as loud as us though!

As a player Adams is a legend, and I don't say that about many Arsenal players.

However I have my reservations about his managerial capabilities. I noticed after his first game or so that he was quick to point out that it wouldnt be his team for 12 months - yet he'd just inherited a grossly over achieving club!!

Whats the problem with Westwood - he seems a harmless nutter to me.

Distin should have been kicked in the stomach very hard for trying to get back on the pitch when he was injured.

Lost some respect for Crouch - not for the penalty, but the throw in incident.

Krankaer (sp?) is a nob.

Fair play to you and your fans, made far more noise last night than at Fratton. Still not as loud as us though!

John Westwood does get up a lot of people's noses but you are right: he is nothing more than a harmless nutter. In fact, he is not even that when he is working in the family bookshop in Petersfield. You couldn't wish to meet a nicer bloke.

He takes on another persona when he puts on his clown shoes, wig and other paraphernalia but it's all just a bit of an act. Football needs characters like him, particularly in the Premier League, where the suits have taken over.

I'm sorry but was you watching the same game i watched. As in my opinion the pompey left back Belhadj was absolutely s**t all game as sproule had his number ever single time he attacked him down that flank! the only bright thing Belhadj done was for their second goal when they broke away and layed it off for his team mate to score!

I'm sorry but was you watching the same game i watched. As in my opinion the pompey left back Belhadj was absolutely s**t all game as sproule had his number ever single time he attacked him down that flank! the only bright thing Belhadj done was for their second goal when they broke away but he chickened out of the shot and layed it off for his team mate to score!

Game or games. I'm talking about both games.

The guy was quality at Fratton, Sproule being quicker than he is doesnt change that.

Chickened out of shooting and laid off for a team mate (in a better position with an open goal) to score? You mean there could have been a better outcome? Hmmm...interesting if somewhat unusual viewpoint.

I think, in fairness to Belhadj, he's sort of filling-in at full-back for them now isnt he? although some people on here think that any reasonable standard player should be able to master the full-back spot, I think there might be a bit more to it than that! So, if he is a temporary full-back he should probably be cut a bit of slack for looking a bit wobbly defensively. Previously only seen him on TV - and thought he looked a good attacking midfielder - probably wouldnt go so far as out-and-out winger - and one of pompey's better prospects.

James went across to Distin whilst he was still stood up nursing his poorly leg. I don't know what James said but Distin immediately collapsed and then did two comedic roll overs to get back on the pitch.

I'm surprised this hasn't been covered anywhere (not sure what Sultana had to say about it?) as it was the worst case of cheating I have seen since Ferguson last spoke.

Play can't be stopped unless your on the FLOOR injured.

And if he was off the field of play the ref doesn't have to stop play.

So thats probably why he rolled back on to the pitch.

Well, yeah. But there was nothing stopping him being treated off the pitch, he just wanted play stopped so they wouldn't have to defend with 10 men. Cheating really.

Correct and deserved a booking - many refs would not have stood for the P155 take

I was shouting for the referee to book him at the time. But my recommendation was overlooked. :preacher:

It was disgraceful cheating. What was most annoying was that the referee recognised this because he told him to get off the pitch and then continued with play.

To compound this, a few minutes later we had a freekick in the middle and a Portsmouth player stood in front of the ball grabbing his "injured" leg. After his defence had regrouped, his leg magically healed....

I pray and hope that Bristol City players NEVER start with this Premiershit cheating.

Archived