IGNORED

Stearman Lucky?

Percy Parrot

• Admin
Not sure this would have helped us but did Stearman not clearly boot the ball away on the Dolman touchline after a free-kick, having already been booked?

It was far side for me so maybe it wasn't him but at the time I was hoping he would walk.

At the time I was fairly incensed as I clearly heard the whistle go in the Atyeo, much further away than he was. I then realised that I was downwind of the referee so this could well have been a factor considering how strong the wind was and gave them the benefit of the doubt on that occasion though it would be interesting to know if any of our EastEnders heard the whistle on that occasion?

The ref laughed and said "I couldn't even hear it myself", so understood that Stearman may not have heard it either.

I think it was sensible reffing, given the conditions.

Funny I heard it clearly and was 20 yards further away that Stearman, and with a woolly hat over my ears!

Not sure this would have helped us but did Stearman not clearly boot the ball away on the Dolman touchline after a free-kick, having already been booked?

It was far side for me so maybe it wasn't him but at the time I was hoping he would walk.

Mick McCarthy thought he was going,

The Ref saw him kick it away realized he was already booked then 'Bottled it!'

Rules are rules - He should have gone!

• Admin
I was pretty angry at Stearman not getting a 2nd yellow for that, but at the same time Sproule should have had a 2nd yellow earlier on than that, and the referee let him off, so it's only fair I guess.

But it's swings & roundabouts as Sproule's first yellow was for Matty Hill going through the back of him. A little harsh to be booked for being fouled.

But it's swings & roundabouts as Sproule's first yellow was for Matty Hill going through the back of him. A little harsh to be booked for being fouled.

Sproule's booking was daft - never a yellow. And to be honest the tackle immediately afterwards was not worth a yellow in my opinion either - he didn't lunge in, just caught the guy a tiny bit late. Nothing more than a foul.

I get more annoyed by teams standing over the ball to prevent a free kick being taken to be honest.

Hmmm - not sure where I stand on this. It's such usual practice that I don't get annoyed. Every player at every club from Sunday league to Premier League knows to stand on the ball to prevent quick free-kicks.

The ref laughed and said "I couldn't even hear it myself", so understood that Stearman may not have heard it either.

I think it was sensible reffing, given the conditions.

Maybe he did not hear the whistle and I can't remember it all too clearly in my mind but I think he kicked it away deliberately. It may sound daft, and I have not seen it since, but I seem to remember him punting it in an aimless way upfield. It didn't look like a clearance or a pass to me - just an annoyed hoof, but I appreciate that it's hard to remember too clearly how he kicked it. And as I also said - it may well have been to our advantage that he stayed on anyway.

Maybe he did not hear the whistle and I can't remember it all too clearly in my mind but I think he kicked it away deliberately. It may sound daft, and I have not seen it since, but I seem to remember him punting it in an aimless way upfield. It didn't look like a clearance or a pass to me - just an annoyed hoof, but I appreciate that it's hard to remember too clearly how he kicked it. And as I also said - it may well have been to our advantage that he stayed on anyway.

Well, he gave the international hand signal for 'I didn't hear it' and the ref did it too and said "I couldn't hear it either".

At the time, I felt as though he had time to stop himself had he heard it, but completed the clearance, rather than hoofing it away in an annoyed manner.

Hmmm - not sure where I stand on this. It's such usual practice that I don't get annoyed. Every player at every club from Sunday league to Premier League knows to stand on the ball to prevent quick free-kicks.

It prevents the team that has been fouled from gaining an advantage - which is meant to be the point of free kicks in the first place.

A few seasons ago refs were told to caution anyone that did this and they did, but now they've stopped doing it. If you recall players took to kicking the ball at players in order to get them booked.

Archived