IGNORED

I Remember It Well

westonred

Blimey - was that really 15 years ago!

Cracking night, one of the things that sticks in my mind was the Kop giving our lads a standing ovation at the end, fair shout to them for that.

The best rendition of 'Drink up ye cider' ever, sang at the end about 10 times over and over, fantastic! Great being a City fan init!

The best rendition of 'Drink up ye cider' ever, sang at the end about 10 times over and over, fantastic! Great being a City fan init!

Remember that well mate! Don't know if anyone else read Carey's captains log on the OS last week, he said that's his fav song that we do. Been watching City for well over 20 years now and that never fails to make the hairs on my neck stand up.

Join in if you know the words 'Drink up ye cider, drink up ye cider........' love it!

Didn't go to the replay at Anfield (I was only a young un) but went to the first 2 matches at Ashton Gate

Does anyone think that the floodlight failure in the first game was suspicous? It makes me wonder, especially after the later allegations against Bruce Grobbelar who was in goal for Liverpool at the time

*puts on tinfoil hat

Didn't go to the replay at Anfield (I was only a young un) but went to the first 2 matches at Ashton Gate

Does anyone think that the floodlight failure in the first game was suspicous? It makes me wonder, especially after the later allegations against Bruce Grobbelar who was in goal for Liverpool at the time

*puts on tinfoil hat

I don't think it was suspicious! Saying that i cant remember the score at the point they went off. I think it was 1-1.

Yeah, I'm sure theres nothing in it

But Grobbelar was accused of conspiring with a Malaysian businessman to fix matches

The Malaysians have attempted to sabotage matches before by stopping floodlights during English football matches (see link)

http://news.BBC.co.uk/1/hi/uk/426092.stm

So the floodlight failure at the City V Liverpool game has always stuck in my mind....

I have watched English footy in bars in Malaysia myself and can ensure you the locals watch the games with a betting slip in each hand...they love it!!

Yep I remember it well - I was a 17 year old lad who thought he was invincible in his Purple and Green shirt! Crammed into the away end like sardines. I'm sure there were more fans in there than had tickets!

Great memories and atmosphere, only bettered IMO by the Palace Play-Off win last season.

:)

Went up in a three car convoy from Chepstow - two full with City & one car full of Liverpool fans!

As we pulled up to park in a street somewhere off Stanley park a couple of scouse school kids came up and asked

"quid to look after yer car mate"

Our driver thinking he was clever replied that we don't need to as we had a Rottweiler in the back to which the kid imeadiatley replied...

"but can he put out fires?"

Larf..... I nearly Sh...meself

Had a magnificent afternoon and night - all pubs around the ground packed so found it hard to get in anywhere but eventualy managed to find a pub where the coppers outside didnt turn us away because it was full

I remember it well. Brian Tinnions 20 yard left foot in the FA Cup. Did it again the following year at Stoke I recall. Perhaps not so memorably.

Still have the game on video somewhere too - ah the memories.

And some bloke got out of his Merc on the M6 to threaten me 'cos I called him a w****r whilst stuck in a traffic jam. I told him to get back in his phallic symbol and ###### off out of my life.

I remember worrying about Rushy before the home game(s) and it was some teenage upstart that caused us more problems.... a certain Robbie Fowler.

Also remember in the rearranged home game that Grobelar did one of his usual "rush outside of his penalty area" leaving Liam Robinson with an open goal from about 40 yards out...which he duly missed (where is he now) - Good job he did i guess otherwise we would never have enjoyed the experience of beating them at Anfield - And losing Souness his job!

Happy days!

my cousin got lost on the way so only just scrapped in as they were shutting the turnstiles and i was going to have 20 quid on tinnion for first goal at some thing like 14 1 but did not make it to the bookies but still happy times sweet left foot off tins standing ovation from the cop and the scouse kids fleeceing my cousin for a fiver i kid said i looked after your car mate give us a quid my cousin did and 4 more came out the bushes and sais and us mate and he gave em all a quid ohh yes and our version of walk alone sign on sign on with pen in your hand but ull never get a job ull never get a job have always hated liverpool and now my missus who used to hate footballl has run of with a fool head liverpool fan so she still hates football :laugh: OHH YES COME ON EVERTON TONIGHT

I remember worrying about Rushy before the home game(s) and it was some teenage upstart that caused us more problems.... a certain Robbie Fowler.

Also remember in the rearranged home game that Grobelar did one of his usual "rush outside of his penalty area" leaving Liam Robinson with an open goal from about 40 yards out...which he duly missed (where is he now) - Good job he did i guess otherwise we would never have enjoyed the experience of beating them at Anfield - And losing Souness his job!

Happy days!

Are you sure he didn't miss the open goal at Anfield ?

It was all meant to be very friendly with the Liverpool fans at Anfield but I do remember a story of a City fan being badly beaten up in a chip shop before the game and ending up in hospital. All over the local papers with pictures of him in hospital etc.

He hobbled into the enclosure on crutches and with a stitched up face for the next home game and when the fans recognised him got a standing ovation as he went to sit down.

The game when the floodlights went out was my first game....... in the Liverpool end!!

Mine to,I was 13 back then,never forget the morning that the tickets arrived,I wouldn't let them go all week and then when the match finally arrived I only got too see an hour,incidently I got David James autograph that day at the time he was no 2 to Bruce Grobbelaar,shows how time moves on when he comes back the other night as a now vastly experienced goalkeeper.

Anyway the match was the first of many for me,and the start of an addiction that I will never cure

This was the best day of my life. My son was mascot at Anfield and they treated us so well. It will stay with me forever. :dancing6:
I can also remember Grobbelar saying that if Wayne Allison had had a hair on his head he would have saved his header (replay after the flights failed) Would he, hell NO!!

Mine to,I was 13 back then,never forget the morning that the tickets arrived,I wouldn't let them go all week and then when the match finally arrived I only got too see an hour,incidently I got David James autograph that day at the time he was no 2 to Bruce Grobbelaar,shows how time moves on when he comes back the other night as a now vastly experienced goalkeeper.

Anyway the match was the first of many for me,and the start of an addiction that I will never cure

Think I may have been stood near you!! David James had short dreadlocks then and came over to sign autographs for a few people. I had no clue who he was then, so was'nt interested in getting his autograph!!

Up on the coach - one of many - like that scene from Convoy.

As we saw the sign that read 'Welcome to Liverpool', the first brick hit the window - remarkably it bounced off.

Welcome inside the ground was something completely different though. First time I had seen the concept of applauding a visiting keeper.

Noise from the city section unbelievable. Though the rendition of 'Souness - heart attack' was probably not our proudest moment...

Archived