IGNORED

Salary Cap

BIGPHIL

Listening to radio 5 Live, general chit chat before tonights match commentry. Brought up the comments of Al Fayed re Kaka his transfer fee and salary. Feels like many that something needs to be done before football at Premier League level implodes. The comment was made by one of the commentators (motty I think) that there are apparently rumours out there that the Championship could implement a wages cap as early as next season. Would such a move be good or bad for the CCC?

IMO a salary cap would be a good thing, but would need to be implemented across the board, otherwise imagine we got to the Premier League, signed expensive high earning player's trying to stay up, only to get relegated back to the Championship, then to be forced to offload players possibley on the cheap in order to comply with salary cap, same goes for any team dropping a division.

Guest I loves LJ....LOTS!
Listening to radio 5 Live, general chit chat before tonights match commentry. Brought up the comments of Al Fayed re Kaka his transfer fee and salary. Feels like many that something needs to be done before football at Premier League level implodes. The comment was made by one of the commentators (motty I think) that there are apparently rumours out there that the Championship could implement a wages cap as early as next season. Would such a move be good or bad for the CCC?

bad move imo

I think that football is out of control. Whilst I have no issue with footballers earn silly money if that's the value they bring to the team, the simple fact is that many clubs (including ours!) live beyond their means. We the fans get mugged again and again for it and fall for it every time. You think that £7.50 is mad prices to go to the cinema to watch a film? We spend £20-£30 for 90 minutes of football!

ah yes we shouldn't pay them at all I totally agree :whistle2:

I said it would be a bad mood if the was a salary cap

so acting the clown with your stupid comments

I think that football is out of control. Whilst I have no issue with footballers earn silly money if that's the value they bring to the team, the simple fact is that many clubs (including ours!) live beyond their means. We the fans get mugged again and again for it and fall for it every time. You think that £7.50 is mad prices to go to the cinema to watch a film? We spend £20-£30 for 90 minutes of football!

Premier league footballers earn extremely silly money and some are vastly overrated, Darren Bent for example. Cost 15 million, god knows what he's on a week and Redknapps' missus could have scored that header.

Guest LJ Is Way Cool
I'm on the look out for a banned member of the forum, who was removed for persistent abuse.

I have a strong suspicion he may sign up again and continue in a similar vein. If anyone spots him, shout out "HE'S BEHIND YOU!".

Thanks.

Yes will do

I'm on the look out for a banned member of the forum, who was removed for persistent abuse.

I have a strong suspicion he may sign up again and continue in a similar vein. If anyone spots him, shout out "HE'S BEHIND YOU!".

Thanks.

count me in I'm all up for keeping the forum clea and tidy

so i will have my ear to the ground and if i hear any thing ill let you know mate

Guest LJ Is Way Cool
Can I just say how pleasing it is to see so many LJ fans signing up to the forum lately.

Yes brilliant isn't it.

Cant think why anybody who dislike him, brilliant little player!

Premier league footballers earn extremely silly money and some are vastly overrated, Darren Bent for example. Cost 15 million, god knows what he's on a week and Redknapps' missus could have scored that header.

I honestly wouldn't mind the silly money if it was in proportion. But it's not and clubs are racking up debts (and sometimes not even paying their tax burden - watch you and I try and get away with that!)

I think it's mad that the common man pays so much money to watch such madness.

But I'm one of them!

I honestly wouldn't mind the silly money if it was in proportion. But it's not and clubs are racking up debts (and sometimes not even paying their tax burden - watch you and I try and get away with that!)

I think it's mad that the common man pays so much money to watch such madness.

But I'm one of them!

Yeah, me too ! Love watching professional football.

Not too sure about the tax thingy, clubs are part of the community so maybe they should receive special dispensation ?

But the very fact that:

a) not paying tax means they are not directly contributing to the community and are leaving the rest of us picking up the pieces

b) clubs, despite operating in the local community, are often far removed from it in modern football. I'm sure I read an article once (I'm sure it was posted on here) where an unnamed footballer wrote about just how weird most players thought football fans were and in fact held them in low regard

Yep sometimes I wonder why I bother with football the way it is , Rugby are setting a great example. Yet I'm addicted to footy like most and cannot choose :farmer:

The egg chasers can teach us two things, namely "advantage" "advantage over" "no advantage = blows whistle" and the respect given to the officials.

Other than that they are not setting a great example with the proposed 27 game league season and the table toppers at the end of the season are not champions...

As to wage constraints - it's daft and would damage us as the turnover of our club is nowhere near the turnover of the top 30 clubs in England.

If people want to look at an example of how wage caps can be a TERRIBLE idea, look at France.

If done by turnover it would be a huge disadvantage to a great many clubs.

I would favour a ball park figure, so everyone knows where they stand.

If it does happen, I suspect it'll be half hearted and have little impact.

I'd be against it, purely on the principle of eveyone has the right to earn what someone is prepared to pay. The market will eventually decide whether that was too much. If it all crashes, then it will be started again at the level the market can sustain.

Not sure I even understand that myself!!!

I'd be against it, purely on the principle of eveyone has the right to earn what someone is prepared to pay. The market will eventually decide whether that was too much. If it all crashes, then it will be started again at the level the market can sustain.

Not sure I even understand that myself!!!

The problem is, the market isn't deciding it's too much, and fans are having to foot the bill.

Look at it this way; Rich chairman continue to over inflate the market, making it hard for clubs like City who at least try and be sustainable compete. What can you do? Imagine the outcry if we wouldn't pay the "going rate" and it relegated us, even though the "going rate" was well out of our means.

At present,t he only clubs that have any chance of winning anything are those with rich chairman. It doesn't matter how many fans you have, or how well the club is run. Look at Wigan! Middlesbrough are £93 mil in debt and where has it got them?

The problem is, the market isn't deciding it's too much, and fans are having to foot the bill.

Look at it this way; Rich chairman continue to over inflate the market, making it hard for clubs like City who at least try and be sustainable compete. What can you do? Imagine the outcry if we wouldn't pay the "going rate" and it relegated us, even though the "going rate" was well out of our means.

At present,t he only clubs that have any chance of winning anything are those with rich chairman. It doesn't matter how many fans you have, or how well the club is run. Look at Wigan! Middlesbrough are £93 mil in debt and where has it got them?

You make some good points, however,businesses with the most money can employ the best people to try to achieve the best results, pretty much always been like that. Now, there are clubs who spend lots of money and get nowhere near to competing, or you can be cute like Mr Wenger, and pretty much build a new stadium to house a further £20,000 people to safe guard their future on his wealing and dealing, and still compete.

As a general principle, I don't want some out of touch old fart commitee arranging how much I could or could not earn. Football wise or general employment law.

Salary capping and transfer capping would be perfect in an ideal World. We need to get back to a stage where entry to a football stadium only costs a fiver !!

In reality, capping just won't work, all that will happen is the chairman will make a player a "public relations officer" for his business and pay them an obscene amount of money through their second job as opposed to being a player - Unfortunately there is no way to stop this happening.

The quicker some major football clubs go to the wall, the better!

In reality, capping just won't work, all that will happen is the chairman will make a player a "public relations officer" for his business and pay them an obscene amount of money through their second job as opposed to being a player - Unfortunately there is no way to stop this happening.

Exactly as happens in rugby I understand.

You make some good points, however,businesses with the most money can employ the best people to try to achieve the best results, pretty much always been like that.

But that's one of the main points here, the clubs don't have the money that they're spending. A business invests from its reserves or maybe seek fresh investment to grow. Clubs just pile on the debt mountain.

Archived