IGNORED

Us,hull,jimmy Bullard And £45,000 A Week

Lack of Action Man

Evenin all, let me start by saying that I'm hoping for a 3-1 win tonight with a brace from Maynard and one from sproule! Stranger things have definitely happened.

Anyways, I've been thinking a lot this week about the transfer of Jimmy Bullard from Fulham to Hull. He's a decent footballer and a top bloke and at Hull he now earns £45,000 a week. To start that amounts to a big wad of money and for this past week I've been left pondering whether anything like this transfer would have taken place at the Gate had we been promoted and not Hull. I began to wonder where Hull were getting all of this money from, but with their Sky and Setanta contracts boosting them into the millions and the money they gained from promotion it seems that Hull really can afford to make a move like this. But if it were us would Bullard have come? Would we have even been gunning for these decent types of players that are nearing the end of their contracts? (Geovanni and Bullard for example)

It's just this transfer has been bugging me all week and I've had this feeling that if we were in the place of Hull Bullard wouldn't come to us. For one I think we would never pay the transfer fee or the wages, instead playing our finances safe without thinking about how well the current crop of players will perform in the league. Perhaps Hull have gone about the Premier league in the right way to do so (as much as it makes me shudder to say that)Whilst they are forking out huge amounts of cash on players which will destabalize their financial position their league position is one to be proud of considering they have never been in the premier league before and they are all but guaranteed another season in the Premier League which again means massive income.

My point is that Hull have very much speculated to accumulate in the premier league and accumulate they have. I'm not saying we need to fork out the millions in transfer fees or 45k a week but perhaps to attract the higher class of player we have to be that little bit bolder and let a bit more money go because if we do succeed the money we would recieve would be astronomical.

good point, I like to think that Bullard would be the type of player we might have been looking at had we gone up, but I think their points total so far gives them confidence that they will stay up. You have to say though that whilst he is a good player and a chirpy guy to have around, that wage is obscene.

I figure any team that goes up needs to get some experience in on free transfers, with get out clauses in the event of relegation, which Hull did with Geovanni. If Hull did go down, that sort of wage could finish them, like Carbone at Bradford years ago.

Si.

It doesn't really matter what his salary is whilst they're in the Prem because the TV money means they can afford it, the important bit is that there's a clause in the contract for relegation.

£45k for a 29 year old who's never been more than an average Prem players is a bit silly though, they should be getting better value than that.

Big gamble from Hull, he is on a long contract and should Hull go down they will be lumbered with the massive wage bill, i admire their ambition though, but look where blind ambition got Leeds. £5m for an average player on £45k per week is not good business in my eyes, but should they stay up it would have been an inspired signing, we'll just have to see how they finish.

I don't like how Bullard handled himself in the press however, totally disrespectful to Fulham, I hope Hull go down and slip down the leagues like Dirty Leeds did, sorry but I just hate hull for taking our place, Meh, I try not to be bitter or it will eat me away, but I hate Hull, I hate them with a passion and wish them only misfortune. I hate that Fat old ugly F88cker more who scored the goal,. I cant even bring myself to say his crappy name. :glare::disapointed2se:

It doesn't really matter what his salary is whilst they're in the Prem because the TV money means they can afford it, the important bit is that there's a clause in the contract for relegation.

£45k for a 29 year old who's never been more than an average Prem players is a bit silly though, they should be getting better value than that.

My thoughts exactly, surely there is better out there for 45k per week?

the bigger question is.......why the hell didn't we try to sign him when he was at peterboro, was a quality player back then who was always going to play at a might higher level than league 1, unfortunately he went to league one wigan for 300k!!

annoying

Big gamble from Hull, he is on a long contract and should Hull go down they will be lumbered with the massive wage bill, i admire their ambition though, but look where blind ambition got Leeds. £5m for an average player on £45k per week is not good business in my eyes, but should they stay up it would have been an inspired signing, we'll just have to see how they finish.

I don't like how Bullard handled himself in the press however, totally disrespectful to Fulham, I hope Hull go down and slip down the leagues like Dirty Leeds did, sorry but I just hate hull for taking our place, Meh, I try not to be bitter or it will eat me away, but I hate Hull, I hate them with a passion and wish them only misfortune. I hate that Fat old ugly F88cker more who scored the goal,. I cant even bring myself to say his crappy name. :glare::disapointed2se:

I also hate Hull with a passion (for obvious reasons) what frustartes me even more is the amount of people who are saying things like ''wow arnt Hull a good team'' and rubbish like ''no offemce but if Bristol City would have gone up no way would they have done a hull''. It really is being to grate on me and i really hope they go down and have a huge debt to pay like Leeds.

Unfortunatly my wish for them to be relegated will probably not happen this season, the lucky little buggers had such a great start that the points they gained early on has pretty much saved them. Next year they will no doubht struggle and there bubble will well and trurly burst.

In regards to weather we would have bought the same players as Hull is a tricky one to answer, as much as i love the way GJ likes to have a settled dressing room and ''no bad apples'' this additude would have made us look like a bunch of idiots in the prem. As much as i hate Phil Brown he took the right attitude in the summer and completly bombed out the majority of there squad and replaced it with expereinced prem players. Johnson would have obviously gone out and bought a couple of strikers (Marlon King for example) but apart from that he would have stuck with the likes of Mccombe and LJ which to be fair would have been a disaster.

I also hate Hull with a passion

In regards to weather we would have bought the same players as Hull is a tricky one to answer, as much as i love the way GJ likes to have a settled dressing room and ''no bad apples'' this additude would have made us look like a bunch of idiots in the prem. As much as i hate Phil Brown he took the right attitude in the summer and completly bombed out the majority of there squad and replaced it with expereinced prem players. Johnson would have obviously gone out and bought a couple of strikers (Marlon King for example) but apart from that he would have stuck with the likes of Mccombe and LJ which to be fair would have been a disaster.

I agree with the large majority of that post - if we did get promoted would moral values and financial security have held us back to the point of being back in the championship before you can say Drink up thee zider? Whilst Hull are lucky barstewards with a cocky sh!te of a manager you have to admire their ambition and the success that has come as a result of it.

I also hate Hull with a passion (for obvious reasons) what frustartes me even more is the amount of people who are saying things like ''wow arnt Hull a good team'' and rubbish like ''no offemce but if Bristol City would have gone up no way would they have done a hull''. It really is being to grate on me and i really hope they go down and have a huge debt to pay like Leeds.

Unfortunatly my wish for them to be relegated will probably not happen this season, the lucky little buggers had such a great start that the points they gained early on has pretty much saved them. Next year they will no doubht struggle and there bubble will well and trurly burst.

I feel sorry for Windass!

He scored that goal to take his home team up and everyone loved him. 4 days later the manager asked him if he wanted to go on loan to Barnsley!

If Trundle had scored that goal that day and we found that a few days later hes off to Barnsley i would be outraged.

Another thing! They aren't even the same team!

It's only the keeper (hardly counts), Ashbee, Garcia occasionaly plays and their defender ricketts i think he's called.

If we had gone up i would think Basso, McAllister occasionaly, Fontaine, McCombe, Orr, Elliott, Dele, Trundle occassionaly (as a novelty item), McIndoe occassionally might have played.

At the start of the season tangoman acted all kind and 'oh isnt this great, how fun, don't want to talk about champions league yet' but now he just winjes soooo much.

I have the opposite problem, I have tried hard to hate Hull City but I'm finding it very difficult. I hate Stoke much more for obvious reasons, but the way the Hull fans behaved at Wembley which was quality, together with results such as beating Arsenal at The Emirates as part of their "London 0 Hull 4" run of results makes me quietly root for them.

My eight year old nephew can't stand them mind and has banned them from his sticker book..

Johnson would have obviously gone out and bought a couple of strikers (Marlon King for example) but apart from that he would have stuck with the likes of Mccombe and LJ which to be fair would have been a disaster.

What a bizarre comment. On what basis do you make that ridiculous comment?

When we came out of league one, we replaced the entire front line and bought 3 midfielders. The usual team for us contained only 6 players from league one - the goalkeeper, the defence and LJ.

So why on earth do you think GL would only buy couple of strikers if we got into the Premier League?

What a bizarre comment. On what basis do you make that ridiculous comment?

When we came out of league one, we replaced the entire front line and bought 3 midfielders. The usual team for us contained only 6 players from league one - the goalkeeper, the defence and LJ.

So why on earth do you think GL would only buy couple of strikers if we got into the Premier League?

Ok maybe my two striker comment wasnt accurate, what i meant to say was bar a few players here and there GJ wouldnt have changed a huge amount like Phil brown has.

Do you really think GJ would have bombed out half the team like Brown has? I very mouch doubh it.

Ok maybe my two striker comment wasnt accurate, what i meant to say was bar a few players here and there GJ wouldnt have changed a huge amount like Phil brown has.

Do you really think GJ would have bombed out half the team like Brown has? I very mouch doubh it.

My point was that he bombed out half the team last time, so yes am sure he would.

I don't know why all the downer on Hull...yes they beat us, but as a neutral, it was great I thought to see an infancied team upsetting the odds as they did, especially their win at Arsenal and scoring 3 at OT.

Would we have signed Bullard? Possibly not. But he would have been on my short list had we won the play off final and had Fulham gone down, which looked almost certain towards the end of last year.

In general terms, Hull haven't spent that much and from last season, well earlier in the season they had Myhill, Turner, Dawson, Ashbee and Marney from last year, with Ricketts providing cover at full back.

I have the opposite problem, I have tried hard to hate Hull City but I'm finding it very difficult. I hate Stoke much more for obvious reasons, but the way the Hull fans behaved at Wembley which was quality, together with results such as beating Arsenal at The Emirates as part of their "London 0 Hull 4" run of results makes me quietly root for them.

My eight year old nephew can't stand them mind and has banned them from his sticker book..

I think your nephew has it right - although I can't say that Hull are a club high up on my list of teams to hate - think this is because A. I feel sorry for anyone who lives in Hull, and B. I'm not sure that I wanted to see us get promoted at the time we played at Wembley (this view has proably changed a bit now having seen all three of the promoted sides give a good account of themselves in the prem so far this season).

Is Bullard worth the money? Of course not - if you look at it in terms of what you or I might earn, but relative to what others in the prem allegedly get, probably. Its this complete financial lunacy that worried me when we were on the brink last May. I know SL has a very astute financial brain (or assume he has given his business success), but no one team can buck the system (probably since Charlton?).

Is the chance we pooped up only just starting to dawn on some readers?

IMO we have to change quite a few of the present squad to even get out of CCC so to stay in prem we would have needed a whole new staritng 11!

But we are where we are and holding our own so hopefuly we are just a couple of good (lucky?) signings away from reaching the prem and having the chance to bring in players of higher quality

Remember players come & go but the club and support will always be there so don't shed tears for players who the club descide to replace even if they have made a contribution over last couple of years (Trundle / Noble et al) we have to keep moving on & up

Is the chance we pooped up only just starting to dawn on some readers?

IMO we have to change quite a few of the present squad to even get out of CCC so to stay in prem we would have needed a whole new staritng 11!

But we are where we are and holding our own so hopefuly we are just a couple of good (lucky?) signings away from reaching the prem and having the chance to bring in players of higher quality

Remember players come & go but the club and support will always be there so don't shed tears for players who the club descide to replace even if they have made a contribution over last couple of years (Trundle / Noble et al) we have to keep moving on & up

Spot on. Unfortunately people on here forget that all to easily.

Back to Hull - I still think it will be them or Pompey for the last relegation place. If Hull do go down, they could be in for a tough ride for a few years....look whos in the bottom 3 of the CCC!

Haha - my 8 year old son is the same. He collects MatchAttax - Hull are rubbish, Windass is he worst player ever to walk the planet - it makes me smile to be honest. Stoke ramk third on his list of most hated clubs next to Crystal Palace for some reason.

Oh, and first is the Gas - any mention of them and he complains that people shouldn't swear in front of him!!!!

I don't get it - we sound pathetic going on about how we 'hate' Hull when we were only in the same division as them for how long?

Hate Cardiff, hate Stoke, even hate Plymouth for historic reasons but all Hull did is do better than we did last season.

I think they might go down, but i'd personally love Newcastle (best fans in the world apparently) Tottenham ('Arry and his catalogue of excuses) and especially Man City ( pc game played by Sheiks) to finish below them.

Archived