IGNORED

Elliott

Red

Good result tonight, But it shows we do need extra cover for midfield to cover for injuries. SO it is time to get the cheque book out Steve.

There is no midfield general now, with Elliot looking like he needs treatment.

Trialists are all well and good, but we need a proven attacking midfielder NOW. Not a last minute signing.

Good result tonight, But it shows we do need extra cover for midfield to cover for injuries. SO it is time to get the cheque book out Steve.

There is no midfield general now, with Elliot looking like he needs treatment.

Trialists are all well and good, but we need a proven attacking midfielder NOW. Not a last minute signing.

I imagine we're looking, and someone will play in the reserves tomorrow. Don't think we need a replacement for Elliott if he's injured short term, Skuse has looked really good in the last few weeks. But an added spark in midfield wouldn't go amiss, particularly if Noble's on the way.

I imagine we're looking, and someone will play in the reserves tomorrow. Don't think we need a replacement for Elliott if he's injured short term, Skuse has looked really good in the last few weeks. But an added spark in midfield wouldn't go amiss, particularly if Noble's on the way.

We are now short of the firepower required in midfield to challenge successfully against other sides in this division. If we suffer another injury or suspension to a midfield player we are down to the bare bones.

I hope we bring in a proven quality midfielder to add to our side and continue our climb up the table.

We are now short of the firepower required in midfield to challenge successfully against other sides in this division. If we suffer another injury or suspension to a midfield player we are down to the bare bones.

I hope we bring in a proven quality midfielder to add to our side and continue our climb up the table.

We have been since the summer

If Elliot is out for a while we'll really get a chance to see what Skuse is all about, it will a big responsibility for him, especially if he's playing alongside Noble, we will need Noble now not sure he was ever going anywhere, but Noble and Elliot as we know are different players and it will be Skuse and Johnson, especially Skusey breaking up play and winning balls for us, but My God, I have faith in what we've got but when you think about it, losing Elliot for more than a few games would be a huge blow to our pray-off dream. :noexpression:

losing Elliot for more than a few games would be a huge blow to our pray-off dream. :noexpression:

hmm even though we upped our game in the 2nd half without ellliot , some will say Skuse didn't fair well against reading but that was a while back and i think he can do the job even against top teams will be interesting if Skuse does have to fill his shoes.

If Elliot is out for a while we'll really get a chance to see what Skuse is all about, it will a big responsibility for him, especially if he's playing alongside Noble, we will need Noble now not sure he was ever going anywhere, but Noble and Elliot as we know are different players and it will be Skuse and Johnson, especially Skusey breaking up play and winning balls for us, but My God, I have faith in what we've got but when you think about it, losing Elliot for more than a few games would be a huge blow to our pray-off dream. :noexpression:

What on earth makes you think that Noble will start playing?

It is pretty obvious that he's the 5th choice behind Marvin, LJ, Skuse and Williams, so even if Marvin is out for a few weeks I can't see him even making the bench and if we do bring in a new midfielder before the window close he could still be on his way if anyone is interested..

Guest ashtonyate
if ME is out injured, in a funny sort of way it could be a blessing in disguise - more likely to stay!

yea let's chop his leg off then he will defiantly stay then a groin strain would not stop some one buying him

Well it say's in today's WDP that Johson will not be looking to bring in a short term midfielder if Marvin is badly injured he is happy with the squad we have and wants to give them all a chance

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/wdp/sport/f...il/article.html

Here's an excerpt from that article....

Johnson admitted the injury was cause for concern and suggested Elliott may have torn his groin.

But City's manager claims he has no plans to sign a short-term midfield replacement before the transfer window closes on Monday.

He said: "I've built a squad here and we have other players who can come in and do a good job.

"What has happened to Marvin is disappointing, but I'm happy with what I've got here.

"If I keep going into the market and loaning players, the others won't know where they are anymore."

I can't understand Gary's logic on this one. Marvin Elliott is arguably City's best player and pivotal to our chances of making the play-offs. How can you replace him from within the club? We just don't have that quality in depth; not forgetting that Williams is currently (always?) injured and Noble probably has no future at Ashton Gate, which makes City's engine room look threadbare right now.

Here's an excerpt from that article....

Johnson admitted the injury was cause for concern and suggested Elliott may have torn his groin.

But City's manager claims he has no plans to sign a short-term midfield replacement before the transfer window closes on Monday.

He said: "I've built a squad here and we have other players who can come in and do a good job.

"What has happened to Marvin is disappointing, but I'm happy with what I've got here.

"If I keep going into the market and loaning players, the others won't know where they are anymore."

I can't understand Gary's logic on this one. Marvin Elliott is arguably City's best player and pivotal to our chances of making the play-offs. How can you replace him from within the club? We just don't have that quality in depth; not forgetting that Williams is currently (always?) injured and Noble probably has no future at Ashton Gate, which makes City's engine room look threadbare right now.

Greenun, often times (as with all managers) what Johnson says to the press & what he does are very different. I am pretty sure after the Watford game where we scored 4, he said "perhaps people will stop telling me I need to sign a striker now". Shortly afterwards we signed a striker.

Having said that I do think some times we fans get caught up in the hype about certain players. We all love Marv - I've not met any City fan that doesn't. However it was goal less when he left the field last night & we went on to win 2 - 0 without him. Prior to the good run of from since Xmas, we were probably at our best this season in the 1st month or so.... when Elliott was injured.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying he's not a big loss, but I'm not sure it's quite as bad as some would say.

Greenun, often times (as with all managers) what Johnson says to the press & what he does are very different. I am pretty sure after the Watford game where we scored 4, he said "perhaps people will stop telling me I need to sign a striker now". Shortly afterwards we signed a striker.

Having said that I do think some times we fans get caught up in the hype about certain players. We all love Marv - I've not met any City fan that doesn't. However it was goal less when he left the field last night & we went on to win 2 - 0 without him. Prior to the good run of from since Xmas, we were probably at our best this season in the 1st month or so.... when Elliott was injured.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying he's not a big loss, but I'm not sure it's quite as bad as some would say.

I can understand your comment about Gary's possible 'mind games', but where Marvin is concerned it takes more than 'hype' to convince a club like Wolves to table a bid for nearly £2 million to secure his services.

It's a big loss and who else can we bring in as a ball-breaking midfielder who can score goals?

I can understand your comment about Gary's possible 'mind games', but where Marvin is concerned it takes more than 'hype' to convince a club like Wolves to table a bid for nearly £2 million to secure his services.

It's a big loss and who else can we bring in as a ball-breaking midfielder who can score goals?

I take your point, but the fact remains, we did better at the start of the season without Elliott, than we did for a while when he was back in the side.

With or without Marv, I don't see us going up or down this season.

if ME is out injured, in a funny sort of way it could be a blessing in disguise - more likely to stay!

I was just wondering whether it may be a blessing in another way. We need to win some games to get us in the mix and the only real options GJ has to replace Marv are more attacking ones. With 3 of the next 4 games at home we will probably have a more attacking line up. If we stick with 4-3-3 it will probably be Skuuuuse doing the Marv role, pushing LJ and McIndoe forward, if it's 4-4-2 as we reverted to last night it would still be a team looking to get forward.

I was just wondering whether it may be a blessing in another way. We need to win some games to get us in the mix and the only real options GJ has to replace Marv are more attacking ones. With 3 of the next 4 games at home we will probably have a more attacking line up. If we stick with 4-3-3 it will probably be Skuuuuse doing the Marv role, pushing LJ and McIndoe forward, if it's 4-4-2 as we reverted to last night it would still be a team looking to get forward.

On the basis that Macca plays narrow anyway he is arguably more suited to the left hand side of a midfield 3, rather than a true wide role. His fitness & workrate are never in question & his passing is far superior to Elliotts. Overall I agree, for home games where we need to get on the front foot, it may not be a bad thing at all.

To those who were at Plymouth last night, did we miss ME after he went off? :noexpression:

I love ME and think we miss him whenever he's out, but due to the change in shape and Cole's great performance we didn't really miss him to much to be fair. It was a great challenge that caused it and i just hope he's not out for to long, maybe just untill the window shuts....... :closedeyes:

I love ME and think we miss him whenever he's out, but due to the change in shape and Cole's great performance we didn't really miss him to much to be fair. It was a great challenge that caused it and i just hope he's not out for to long, maybe just untill the window shuts....... :closedeyes:

I agree. ME is a great player for us but if he is out for any length of time, maybe we

have to get on without him with the players already at the club because who would we

replace him with from outside the club at this moment. To find somebody as good would

mean big fee and big wages IMO.

Loan signing apart that is.

Archived