IGNORED

No More Signings?

bh red

Same as it is now - the age they are now is unimportant - it's just that on their 21st birthday (whenever that is) they had to have been registered domestically for 3 years. I would qualify and I've been around for far too long!

Cheers Stilton, so apart from Basso and Styvar from our current starting 11 for example, everyone else qualifies.

Thanks Greebo and Windmillhillred - I used to live in Cotswold Road - so in English.......As from next season, our matchday squad has to have at least, 4 under 21's who have been registered with us/or the league for 3 years.

Put into plain English - for an ex-Bemmy boy - if we had to pick a matchday squad tomorrow with the new rules in place what would the likely squad be? This will help me to understand, as I am still confused as we don't have that many young 'uns.

Your assistance is appreciated.

The likely squad would be what it is today. Players can be any age, and any nationality. All it means is that four out of the sixteen must have been registered for an english club or clubs for three years before their 21st birthday. So, at a guess, Orr, Carey, Fontaine, McCombe, Lee Johnson, Noble, Williams, Skuse, Maynard, and even Dele would qualify. I'm sure I've missed some and got a few wrong! So most clubs will have many more than the four.

So you agree with me that GJ never said "massive changes"

and therefore it was utter tosh to suggest otherwise.

Meanwhile there are still four days left in the window........

Snoz.

Utterly predictable that you would highlight that phrase, and ignore the rest, which is why I finished my post with the following:

'Actively contemplating the urgent replacement of 2 or 3 of the defence or midfield, if that's what he meant, would seem a fairly massive team adjustment to me'.

You're the only one talking utter tosh except yours is totally uninformed, as you've admitted elsewhere.

No I will only be happy when we are in the Prem. End of. But the difference is I understand we have no parachute payments, are not owned by an oil magnate or a country, have been a level 3 club for most of our football life and are the biggest draw in the game when it comes to attracting players. We have to be realistic. There is no one at the club who knows what we are lacking more than our manager. He is looking for players in exactly the positions you suggest and more. However, there are massive constraints to bringing players of quality in. This seems to be something you do not understand. The easy part is saying we need a central midfield genie. You think GJ does not know this ? That is the easy part, the hard part is getting the solution within the constraints we have. We have no money, we already overspend on wages and transfer fees, that is reality, the real world, and GJ has to magic up performances from players that ordinarily would not ordinarily operate at the level we all desire. He gets the best and more out of players, getting them to improve and play above themselves. That is the sign of an exceptional manager.

I am sick of reading we are a club in decline, and that GJ does not know what he is doing. I do not agree with everything he does, far from it, but until some people get a hard dose of reality, they are going to have months and years of frustration and unfulfilled dreams. What we are doing is fantastic, awesome, and will build a long term, and sustainable future for Bristol City, that will in time pay dividends with a team playing in the Premier League. Patience is a virtue, we have spent nearly 100 years out of the Prem (or Div 1), so a few more years will not hurt us. For the first time in our history, there is a plan, it is structured, thought out, intelligent and covers all the bases. If you do not want to see that fine, but to continually spread gloom and despondancy when in reality there has never been a better future for Bristol City is in the first place sad, second place misplaced and in third just plain stupid. Enjoy the best years of supporting Bristol City, your quality of life will improve no end.

Well said. Are you sure you should be on this forum?? :icecream:

No I will only be happy when we are in the Prem. End of. But the difference is I understand we have no parachute payments, are not owned by an oil magnate or a country, have been a level 3 club for most of our football life and are the biggest draw in the game when it comes to attracting players. We have to be realistic. There is no one at the club who knows what we are lacking more than our manager. He is looking for players in exactly the positions you suggest and more. However, there are massive constraints to bringing players of quality in. This seems to be something you do not understand. The easy part is saying we need a central midfield genie. You think GJ does not know this ? That is the easy part, the hard part is getting the solution within the constraints we have. We have no money, we already overspend on wages and transfer fees, that is reality, the real world, and GJ has to magic up performances from players that ordinarily would not ordinarily operate at the level we all desire. He gets the best and more out of players, getting them to improve and play above themselves. That is the sign of an exceptional manager.

I am sick of reading we are a club in decline, and that GJ does not know what he is doing. I do not agree with everything he does, far from it, but until some people get a hard dose of reality, they are going to have months and years of frustration and unfulfilled dreams. What we are doing is fantastic, awesome, and will build a long term, and sustainable future for Bristol City, that will in time pay dividends with a team playing in the Premier League. Patience is a virtue, we have spent nearly 100 years out of the Prem (or Div 1), so a few more years will not hurt us. For the first time in our history, there is a plan, it is structured, thought out, intelligent and covers all the bases. If you do not want to see that fine, but to continually spread gloom and despondancy when in reality there has never been a better future for Bristol City is in the first place sad, second place misplaced and in third just plain stupid. Enjoy the best years of supporting Bristol City, your quality of life will improve no end.

Quite the best post I've read in a long time. Many (well, some) have tried to explain the reality of our situation but none in such a clear, intelligent and realistic way. I fear it will make little difference to those who fantasise that we can click our fingers and summon up top quality players at the drop of a hat, but very welcome nevertheless. I for one take some pride in having our club run by top quality people who want to build a sustainable and successful future but are not prepared to risk the club's existence "chasing the dream", unlike some of our rivals.

Brilliant - well said. But i'm afraid it will fall on deaf hears.

The quality of football we have seen in the last year and a half has been brilliant. Such a quicker game, with lots of intelligent footballers in this division. For us to have established ourselves in this division, shows how far we have come - every side has quality players. For some of our first team players to be branded "not good enough" is just crazy. If this was the case we'd be looking at relegation.

As you say, we need to slowly build - build a side - and a reputation. A few years in this division would be no shame - especially when you consider we spent 8 years in League One and we were looking like we would get relegated until GJ took over.

GJ has a huge ambition - and will know exactly where to improve - but wont panic buy in january - unlike alot of other managers! We should be grateful we have such a good manager.

Superb post mate,

thanks for bringing some sanity to this debate.

i thougt brookers coments spoke volumes about are club rite now. read into it what u will.

"It was important for me to go somewhere where there is a good group of players with the team behind it, the directors and everybody all pushing in the same direction."

"A big part of the decision for me was to come to a club that has ambition and drive and this club has plenty of that."

"The Chairman and everyone around it wants this Club to go in an upwards direction and that is what they have done."

i thougt brookers coments spoke volumes about are club rite now. read into it what u will.

"It was important for me to go somewhere where there is a good group of players with the team behind it, the directors and everybody all pushing in the same direction."

"A big part of the decision for me was to come to a club that has ambition and drive and this club has plenty of that."

"The Chairman and everyone around it wants this Club to go in an upwards direction and that is what they have done."

Are you suggesting that everyone at this club are not pushing to go in a upwards direction?

If so, can you please explain your comments?

Are you suggesting that everyone at this club are not pushing to go in a upwards direction?

If so, can you please explain your comments?

Lack of ambition to improve the midfield to be able to set up the strikers positively for scoring, our strikers are still not producing the goals they should. Is Izzy the answer to solidify our defence, time will tell , but his background i.e. time at s****horpe and swansea does not suggest he improves our current defence.

Exiled;

City have signed Peter Styvar in the window. a somewhat unknown quantity, did his reputation all manner of good by scoring vs Villa in the UEFA Cup and, for me, although there were positions of a greater need his signing signals much ambition, as indicated by the substantial fee.

Doncaster have just signed Steve Brooker who, for all his hard work and decent goal scoring record has very much struggled to stay fit in the last two seasons, for a minimal fee.

In your opinion, which of these 2 clubs is showing the greater ambition?

Cinker;

Izzy has been signed, essentially, as cover. Therefore he doesnt need to necessarily improve our pretty darn solid defence.

I'm delighted the manager hasnt thrown money at a central midfielder if the correct one is not available at the right place.

I have complete faith in the midfield we have to do a good job until a new recruit can be sought in the summer. Disappointing no new face, but not a disaster and certainly not a 'lack of ambition.'

Lack of ambition to improve the midfield to be able to set up the strikers positively for scoring, our strikers are still not producing the goals they should. Is Izzy the answer to solidify our defence, time will tell , but his background i.e. time at s****horpe and swansea does not suggest he improves our current defence.

How do you know we have not tried to sign midfield players? People seem to forget that we are a unattractive side in this division and also competing with clubs who have or had parachute payments and have bigger stadiums.

Our Manager also refuse to make panic buys and rightly so - most players available in January have inflated price tags, mainly because clubs don't want to sell have way through a season.

We have a manager who is thinking long term, unlike a section of our fans who are (as usual) thinking short term.

Exiled;

City have signed Peter Styvar in the window. a somewhat unknown quantity, did his reputation all manner of good by scoring vs Villa in the UEFA Cup and, for me, although there were positions of a greater need his signing signals much ambition, as indicated by the substantial fee.

Doncaster have just signed Steve Brooker who, for all his hard work and decent goal scoring record has very much struggled to stay fit in the last two seasons, for a minimal fee.

In your opinion, which of these 2 clubs is showing the greater ambition?

Cinker;

Izzy has been signed, essentially, as cover. Therefore he doesnt need to necessarily improve our pretty darn solid defence.

I'm delighted the manager hasnt thrown money at a central midfielder if the correct one is not available at the right place.

I have complete faith in the midfield we have to do a good job until a new recruit can be sought in the summer. Disappointing no new face, but not a disaster and certainly not a 'lack of ambition.'

Sorry SJC, I view it as lack of ambition and happy to continue the way we are ; purely status quo.

He missed out big club, sleeping giant, new challenge etc. I look forward to the day when a player says "Actually this is a crap club but nobody else would have me." :innocent06: Don't get me wrong, Donny are a good club with a good Chairman and Manager but their potential is limited compared to ours. Any possibility he feels a tad bitter we would not give him a contract and take the risk he would spend most of it on the treatment table?

Sorry SJC, I view it as lack of ambition and happy to continue the way we are ; purely status quo.

Yeah your right, throw millions around and hope for the best. Who cares about the long term future of the club?

Lets also ignore the global economic state!

He's talking about Doncaster. Where does he say City aren't that sort of club?

In fact, we must have ticked all those boxes too for Steve to sign for us originally, as they are the criteria he looks for when joining a new club.

Steve didn't want to leave City and was sorry to do so, but realised he had to, because City weren't prepared to offer him a new deal, given his injury record in the last two years.

I don't read anything into those comments at all. He could easily be making such a statement as that is exactly what he has been used to here.

Also, like others have said, I've never seen any player move to any club where positive things haven't been said by both sides, usually involving at least one of the things he mentioned. That's football transfers for you!

Yeah your right, throw millions around and hope for the best. Who cares about the long term future of the club?

Lets also ignore the global economic state!

Think positively Riaz. Your missing the point. Almost everyone with ambition has seen that we need to bolster the midfield. GJ a couple of weeks ago said we need to strengthen in all quarters and on the verge of a total re-build. all we need is one player, GJ replaced Carle with williams, we never did get a dynamo moidfield and that has been over a season now. I am not saying break the bank which you obviously seemed to think ... where did I say that :dunno:

We have to be realistic. However, there are massive constraints to bringing players of quality in.

We have no money, we already overspend on wages and transfer fees, that is reality, the real world

GJ has to magic up performances from players that ordinarily would not ordinarily operate at the level we all desire.

This post got a lot of praise from almost everyone, and i'm not being critical either - however, is it actually like you say it is Billy?

I'm not saying you are wrong at all, but this isn't what comes out of the club - except the annual loss which can't be concealed of course.

I don't expect GJ to say he has league 1 players all over the team of course, but that's a view expressed by some on here and they get slated for it - I agree that we have a lot of players punching above their weight again, after heroics last season.

If we have no money and cannot bring quality in, then we need a lot of patience - i'm not sure SL sees it quite that way though.

This post got a lot of praise from almost everyone, and i'm not being critical either - however, is it actually like you say it is Billy?

I'm not saying you are wrong at all, but this isn't what comes out of the club - except the annual loss which can't be concealed of course.

I don't expect GJ to say he has league 1 players all over the team of course, but that's a view expressed by some on here and they get slated for it - I agree that we have a lot of players punching above their weight again, after heroics last season.

If we have no money and cannot bring quality in, then we need a lot of patience - i'm not sure SL sees it quite that way though.

Giving Gary a 5 year contract (to the fury of some on here) suggests Steve is pretty patient when he thinks he has the right man to do the job.

Giving Gary a 5 year contract (to the fury of some on here) suggests Steve is pretty patient when he thinks he has the right man to do the job.

SL really can do no wrong in my eyes but I wasn't referring to the patience issue, what I meant was SL surely doesn't see us as skint and unable to attract players.

Guest ashtonyate

sounds good but one of the reasons we have over spent is we have bought poorly everybody will point at Elloitt and say what a great buy he is yes true but look at some of the others.

Trundle Williams sproul mcalister wilson we paid to much for Maynard we got the new forward in hopefully he will make the grade but the coin is in the air.

We had a midfielder and let him go. I don't expected miracles over night but want to see stead improvement if you look at the comings and goings since last winter window the in flux of players is poor.

Also this forum gives a false impression on what city supporter think in the real world there are a lot of City fan's not impressed at the moment with the lack of signings.

Think positively Riaz. Your missing the point. Almost everyone with ambition has seen that we need to bolster the midfield. GJ a couple of weeks ago said we need to strengthen in all quarters and on the verge of a total re-build. all we need is one player, GJ replaced Carle with williams, we never did get a dynamo moidfield and that has been over a season now. I am not saying break the bank which you obviously seemed to think ... where did I say that :dunno:

Its January - Silly season

You want us to get Creative Midfielder

I assume you want a player that will improve us/is prem quality.

That have to be interested in joining us

All these things point to an expensive signing.

sounds good but one of the reasons we have over spent is we have bought poorly everybody will point at Elloitt and say what a great buy he is yes true but look at some of the others.

Trundle Williams sproul mcalister wilson we paid to much for Maynard we got the new forward in hopefully he will make the grade but the coin is in the air.

Stand by for your usual beating AY !

I have to say though that our purchases as a CCC club have been pretty poor in the main, and if money is tight, then GJ needs to improve in that department.

We had a midfielder and let him go. I don't expected miracles over night but want to see stead improvement if you look at the comings and goings since last winter window the in flux of players is poor.

Also this forum gives a false impression on what city supporter think in the real world there are a lot of City fan's not impressed at the moment with the lack of signings.

I seem to recall your recommendations for last January were Freddy Eastwood and Derek Riordan AY. That would have been money well spent. ;)

Ok, let's...

Basso - Fantastic value for money. Part of a promotion winning team and a team that made a Championship PO final.

McCombe - Fantastic value for money. Part of a promotion winning team and a team that made a Championship PO final.

Fontaine - Fantastic value for money. Part of a promotion winning team and a team that made a Championship PO final.

McAllister - Fantastic value for money. Part of a promotion winning team and a team that made a Championship PO final.

Noble - Not part of the team now, but a vital part of our promotion winning team.

Maynard - Above what we wanted to pay, but scoring goals now he's settled and looking a Championship striker with his best years ahead of him. We paid 'too much' insofar as it was more than our valuation, but we paid what it took to get him here, which shows ambition, does it not?

McIndoe - Fantastic value for money. Dipped a bit this season but still one of the best left-sided players in the CCC.

Adebola - Scored six goals in the run-in to get us to the play off final. Still making an impact this season.

Trundle - Didn't get the goals we'd hoped for, but still an important part of a squad that made the PO final.

Elliott - Fantastic value for money. Part of a team that made a Championship PO final.

Lee Johnson - Fantastic value for money. Part of a promotion winning team and a team that made a Championship PO final.

Carle - Did well when he came in and sold on for double our money.

Henderson - Pretty untried but was always bought as an extra keeper.

Weale - Great keeper but dogged by injuries and kept out thanks to that and Basso's outstanding form.

Brian Wilson - Useful utility player without pushing on and making a serious claim for a first team spot.

Sproule - Frustrating end product, but finding better form now. Wouldn't be playing at this level if he had goals and supply consistently added to his game.

Akinde - One for the future.

Styvar - Yet to settle in, so impossible to judge.

Williams - Not utilised in his preferred position yet, but may get his chance now.

Byfield - Did a job as an impact player when we needed one.

You say you don't expect miracles, but you expect steady improvement. On that basis, you expected a top three finish this season which, whilst always being the aim, was never really something we could realistically 'expect'.

You're not impressed with the lack of signings? So you just want us to sign players who are available but the manager doesn't really want, just to placate you?

In one breath you say we paid too much for Maynard and in the next you seem to be saying we should be panicked into paying more than we consider reasonable to get players in. You appear to want to criticise whichever route the club takes.

Basso - Fantastic value for money. Part of a promotion winning team and a team that made a Championship PO final.

McCombe - Fantastic value for money. Part of a promotion winning team and a team that made a Championship PO final.

Fontaine - Fantastic value for money. Part of a promotion winning team and a team that made a Championship PO final.

McAllister - Fantastic value for money. Part of a promotion winning team and a team that made a Championship PO final.

Noble - Not part of the team now, but a vital part of our promotion winning team.

Maynard - Above what we wanted to pay, but scoring goals now he's settled and looking a Championship striker with his best years ahead of him. We paid 'too much' insofar as it was more than our valuation, but we paid what it took to get him here, which shows ambition, does it not?

McIndoe - Fantastic value for money. Dipped a bit this season but still one of the best left-sided players in the CCC.

Adebola - Scored six goals in the run-in to get us to the play off final. Still making an impact this season.

Trundle - Didn't get the goals we'd hoped for, but still an important part of a squad that made the PO final.

Elliott - Fantastic value for money. Part of a team that made a Championship PO final.

Lee Johnson - Fantastic value for money. Part of a promotion winning team and a team that made a Championship PO final.

Weale - Great keeper but dogged by injuries and kept out thanks to that and Basso's outstanding form.

Brian Wilson - Useful utility player without pushing on and making a serious claim for a first team spot.

Sproule - Frustrating end product, but finding better form now. Wouldn't be playing at this level if he had goals and supply consistently added to his game.

Williams - Not utilised in his preferred position yet, but may get his chance now.

Byfield - Did a job as an impact player when we needed one

Probabaly going to bookmark this page and use when people question GJ signing - that ok edson?

top post btw.

Ok, let's...

You say you don't expect miracles, but you expect steady improvement. On that basis, you expected a top three finish this season which, whilst always being the aim, was never really something we could realistically 'expect'.

You're not impressed with the lack of signings? So you just want us to sign players who are available but the manager doesn't really want, just to placate you?

In one breath you say we paid too much for Maynard and in the next you seem to be saying we should be panicked into paying more than we consider reasonable to get players in. You appear to want to criticise whichever route the club takes.

Excellent post.

Not too many bad buys over the last few years. I think the only real dissapointment is Trundle - would have expected more than a couple of cameos for £1million + high wages, but we don't want to get into that debate (again).

Ok, let's...

good shout

Archived