IGNORED

Everton V Bristol City

Never to the dark side

The cold didn't do anything to affect your long term memory! :icecream:

I'm off on Gardening leave at the mo hence some time on my hands, and came across this. Was so funny seeing old games from the yr I was born and the after match talk, posh voices and a big old style phone on the desk though how I long for those days again getting taken down there by my Dad in 84 and standing where now the Ateyo is. Always the smell of tabbaco takes me back to the standing in the cold watching city with people smoking all around me

I was at that game.

My dads mate was an Evertonian but had lived in Bristol for a few years so had adopted City as his team, we all had season tickets and went and stayed at his relatives for the weekend, had a night out at a really naff boozer in Liverpool.

Anyway, the thing that sticks in my mind was, all the Everton fans all around us moaning about their team start to finish.

Anyone remember the corresponding home fixture? 2-2. Gow scored first, then I think they equalised before Hunter scored with a free-kick which he hit so hard his boot came off if I remember rightly.... Dave Thomas got sent off for swearing at the ref after he wouldn't give a penalty. Clive Thomas was ref I think, never a dull moment with him. We were pushing for a UEFA cup place for a lot of that season and played some good stuff yet within 18 months it went to rags. For the want of keeping Hunter and Collier, giving a few younger players a run and not making a couple more signings. Clive Whitehead, with the right service as good a winger as there was around converted into a (very good) full-back and even centre-back! Madness.....

Saw a few of these ganes about ayear ago.

Fantastic, players playing their hearts out, no goal or incident replays, no diving, no arguing and chasing after the ref, crunching tackles and players jumping up and getting on with the game. In one incident Dave Watson took a powerful volley full in the face from 5 yards. Shook his head and took up his position for the resultant corner. If only we could go back to those exciting days as the skill was also well and truly on show.

Downside were the haircuts and state of the pitches this time of year.

Archived