IGNORED

The Johnsons Interviews Going To Be A Interesting Watch.

Red Army 79

With the transfer window closed. Peter Johnsons interview which I imagine will be on world sometime this week will be interesting to see. Wonder who we were actually looking at. Styver was more or less a done deal before the transfer window re opened so he must have been watched and early work was done plus he impressed during his trial. I think Izzy Iriekpen was a bit of luck that he became available and wasn't part of the clubs scouting work so I wonder what other players we were interested in? Also when Gary Johnson reviews the transfer window how close we were to losing Marvin and if their were any truth in the Wolves rumours.

With the transfer window closed. Peter Johnsons interview which I imagine will be on world sometime this week will be interesting to see. Wonder who we were actually looking at. Styver was more or less a done deal before the transfer window re opened so he must have been watched and early work was done plus he impressed during his trial. I think Izzy Iriekpen was a bit of luck that he became available and wasn't part of the clubs scouting work so I wonder what other players we were interested in? Also when Gary Johnson reviews the transfer window how close we were to losing Marvin and if their were any truth in the Wolves rumours.

One of the highlights on World.

Yes, will be interesting to see what Pete has to say.

It willl be interesting although i wouldn`t expect GJ to reveal too much into the bids for Elliot. Steve Lansdowns` quote of `We are not looking to sell` as regards Adebola pretty much covers all bases really. Whatever Marvin`s value may be in the market, it`s not going to match his value to us. Wolves were given short thrift and rightly so.

PDG

He can say what he wants, we will certainly be none the wiser.

The proof of the pudding is bodies through the door, we got one, in an area we weren't short of. Having brought Styver in, if we could have got decent money for Adebola and Trundle then let them go, they are not for the future. It would have made more sense than say, letting Carle go without a replacement.

To me this window has not been a success we are still a small squad, lacking cover in certain areas.

With the transfer window closed. Peter Johnsons interview which I imagine will be on world sometime this week will be interesting to see. Wonder who we were actually looking at.

I think Izzy Iriekpen was a bit of luck that he became available and wasn't part of the clubs scouting work so I wonder what other players we were interested in?

I expect Pete was looking at anyone who happened to be on Sky or Setanta during the month - sorry not impressed by our 'network'

That's not to say we should bring in any old rubbish like some clubs of course,.

I expect Pete was looking at anyone who happened to be on Sky or Setanta during the month - sorry not impressed by our 'network'

That's not to say we should bring in any old rubbish like some clubs of course,.

yeah, out network is shocking - I mean basso and Elliot were shocking finds for example...........

yeah, out network is shocking - I mean basso and Elliot were shocking finds for example...........

Basso i'll grant you, Elliot was hardly an unknown.

Surpised you haven't counted McIndoe LJ Fontaine and Williams...

Like some players struggle in a higher league, I haven't seen anything to convince me our scouts are good enough to be working at CCC level.

Basso i'll grant you, Elliot was hardly an unknown.

Surpised you haven't counted McIndoe LJ Fontaine and Williams...

Like some players struggle in a higher league, I haven't seen anything to convince me our scouts are good enough to be working at CCC level.

Our league position?

How can you say our network is rubbish. We have no idea who we have been watching, who we put in bids for and were rejected or players that were never really available. We all talk aout the elusive creative midfielder who was actually available, that we may have been interested in. When you actually look at the transfers that took place i'm pretty sure that transfer activity will be down on previous seasons. We all know that the January window is an expensive time to buy despite the credit crunch. Its also about time some stopped harping on about Carle and his replacement. Its old news and time we all moved on. lets enjoy whats left of the season, see what it brings and where we actually finish. Wether we enjoy (if thats the right word) the sort of end to this season as we did last only time will tell. At the end of the season it will all start again. Speculation as to who some believe we should bring in, compared to who we actually do bring in. Undoubtedly the critisisum of the scouting network, managment, chairman etc will rear its head again, and the debates etc will begin. At the end of the day you can be sure of one thing, 'we are Bristol City we always believe'.

You will be suprised at how close we came to selling Marvin. Ive heard from club sources that a deal was agreed in principle until after the Wolves game where we wanted to up the ante.

Wolves came nowhere near matching our valuation.

We were never 'close' to selling him. The deal was never going to happen with the money that Wolves offered, simple as that.

What's that got to do with our scouts performance?

I'm not saying they are rubbish like some are suggesting I have said, just that I question whether they are good enough for us now.

They scouted the players that have seen us finish 4th in the Championship and that currently see us 7 points off the play offs with a game in hand.

How does that make them not good enough to find players for this level?

They scouted the players that have seen us finish 4th in the Championship and that currently see us 7 points off the play offs with a game in hand.

How does that make them not good enough to find players for this level?

The players that did so well for us last season were with a couple of notable exceptions, acquired whilst a league 1 side.

The subsequent signings were all well known to the manager I think so not anything picked up by a scouting network - Akinde and Styvar aside of course.

All i'm saying is, that I haven't personally seen a lot of evidence that our scouting network is doing much since we got into this league.

The players that did so well for us last season were with a couple of notable exceptions, acquired whilst a league 1 side.

The subsequent signings were all well known to the manager I think so not anything picked up by a scouting network - Akinde and Styvar aside of course.

All i'm saying is, that I haven't personally seen a lot of evidence that our scouting network is doing much since we got into this league.

but we we're signing championship level players in league one? bloody good scouting if you ask me!

How can you say our network is rubbish. We have no idea who we have been watching, who we put in bids for and were rejected or players that were never really available. We all talk aout the elusive creative midfielder who was actually available, that we may have been interested in. When you actually look at the transfers that took place i'm pretty sure that transfer activity will be down on previous seasons. We all know that the January window is an expensive time to buy despite the credit crunch. Its also about time some stopped harping on about Carle and his replacement. Its old news and time we all moved on. lets enjoy whats left of the season, see what it brings and where we actually finish. Wether we enjoy (if thats the right word) the sort of end to this season as we did last only time will tell. At the end of the season it will all start again. Speculation as to who some believe we should bring in, compared to who we actually do bring in. Undoubtedly the critisisum of the scouting network, managment, chairman etc will rear its head again, and the debates etc will begin. At the end of the day you can be sure of one thing, 'we are Bristol City we always believe'.

Phil I agree with a lot of what you've said - perhaps my interpretation of a scout is different from others.

I would expect a scout to be looking at people who were unseen/relatively unknown by GJ - Akinde and Styvar spring to mind, and Carle was also good work in terms of money made - I won't go there on the debate over if he should have gone though.

The manager himself can look at established players in this country and he's the one who makes the decision.

As for the recent trialists - do we know how they got here? - I suspect it was more a case of their agent or the player approaching the club. I certainly hope that was the case, because none of them were considered good enough.

I don't criticise the manager all the time (sometimes) never the chairman, but I have questioned the scouts since we got promoted, that's all.

Phil I agree with a lot of what you've said - perhaps my interpretation of a scout is different from others.

I would expect a scout to be looking at people who were unseen/relatively unknown by GJ - Akinde and Styvar spring to mind, and Carle was also good work in terms of money made - I won't go there on the debate over if he should have gone though.

The manager himself can look at established players in this country and he's the one who makes the decision.

As for the recent trialists - do we know how they got here? - I suspect it was more a case of their agent or the player approaching the club. I certainly hope that was the case, because none of them were considered good enough.

I don't criticise the manager all the time (sometimes) never the chairman, but I have questioned the scouts since we got promoted, that's all.

Bully - I would suggest that the scouts are used for all acqusitions not just of "unknowns". Most of the time potential players are in action, so are we, so by definiton GJ can't get to watch them much - thats where you need the scouts.

Scouting is one of the many areas in which Johnson has massively improved the club since taking over.

As I understand it, the major difference in the scouting network under Johnson compared to previous regimes is that it exists, whereas before we were reliant on the manager's contacts and amateur scouting (including numerous recommendations from supporters that were generally ignored).

According to Pete Johnson BCFC now has contacts in almost every football-playing country in the world. Now obviously these aren't all going to be full-time employees of the club, merely people who are trusted and who can alert Pete Johnson to players so that he can have them watched more thoroughly, but for a club our size it's impossible to maintain too many full-time staff.

I'd say that our scouting network is probably a lot better than many clubs in our division and infinitely better than it was 3 or 4 years ago.

Pete Johnson also found Meteb, who has since been linked with Everton a few times.

Yeah, Meteb we all remember that saga - is Pete to be thanked for getting Mifsud almost signed as well?

Not sure if the scout just identifies a player or susses out what makes them tick as part of the appraisal - maybe just the former.

Just remember that Meteb was playing for the African champions - just because we didn't know him, hardly merits any claim that Pete Johnson 'found' him.

Ribeiro and Wilson have also been linked with Everton I think.

Look, all i'm saying is that I don't see much resulting from our much improved scouting network - that's not to say it isn't happening, just that clearly nothing has been brought to GJ's attention that is good enough for us.

Yeah, Meteb we all remember that saga - is Pete to be thanked for getting Mifsud almost signed as well?

Not sure if the scout just identifies a player or susses out what makes them tick as part of the appraisal - maybe just the former.

Just remember that Meteb was playing for the African champions - just because we didn't know him, hardly merits any claim that Pete Johnson 'found' him.

Ribeiro and Wilson have also been linked with Everton I think.

Look, all i'm saying is that I don't see much resulting from our much improved scouting network - that's not to say it isn't happening, just that clearly nothing has been brought to GJ's attention that is good enough for us.

But Bully, based on a conversation we had previously you only seem to rate scouting if it unearths absolute unknowns. I am pretty confident that our scouting set up is as good as most in our league.

But Bully, based on a conversation we had previously you only seem to rate scouting if it unearths absolute unknowns. I am pretty confident that our scouting set up is as good as most in our league.

Yeah - in relative terms.

It would be nice to get hold of a league 1 or 2 youngster before we are in a queue.

I don't know if our scouts are good bad or indifferent to be honest and i'm not sure if anyone outside of the club can say with certainty one way or the other, but i'm not that impressed personally.

Its all about opinions isn't it - just like players.

Archived