IGNORED

Quiz: Foreign Players

PAPA650

Steve Stacey was the first black player that I can remember playing for City, not totally sure if he was the 1st though.

Whilst quite a few clubs, notably West Brom, West Ham and Palace had a number of black players on ther books during the 70s and very early 80s, I don't remember any black players between Steve and the introuction of Errington Kelly, Nyrere Kelly and Paul Williams under Tery Cooper's management around late 1982/early 83. Keith Curle joined (as a winger) from Torquay in 83/84

Mention WHU they had one of the first famous black guys in Clyde Best.

City Black 1st X1 (unfortunately no goalie that I am aware of, maybe Bas Savage could do a job?)

Goalkeeper - ?

RB - Kevin Amankkwah

CB - Keith Curle

CB - Izzy Irkpien (must be better than Gus Ceasar)

LB - Matt Hill

RM - Greg Goodridge

CM - Marvin Elliot

CM - Liam Rosenior

LM - Aaron Brown

Strikers:-

Andy Cole + 1 of the following

Shaun Goater

Ade Akinbiyi

Leroy Lita

Who would you dare to leave out of those quality strikers?

Subs (no limit):-

Wayne (The Chief) Allison

Junior Bent

Leroy Roseenior

Enoch Showunmi

Darren Byfield

Louie Donowa

and for defensive how could we forget Kelly Youga, Osei Sankofa, Marvyn Herriot and the aforementioned Gus?

When you think about it we have has so many quality black players that in my desire to remember some of the former players I momentarily forgot the likes of Dele/ Nicky Maynard and Stern John!

I remember one of the first black players to play in top flight English football was Albert Johanneson (born Johannesburg, South Africa, March 13, 1940; died Leeds, September 28, 1995). He joined Leeds United in 1961 and was with them for nine years. He was the first black player to appear in an FA Cup final (1965 vs Liverpool). He was a very quick and skilful left winger although rather inconsistent.

He was with Leeds at the start of their glory days under Don Revie but didn't feature much because of the consistency of Eddie Gray. When he left Leeds, he joined York City but life went downhill for him from there and he turned to alcohol. He lived as a recluse and died in 1995.

However, the first black professional footballer appeared many years bofore Albert. He was Arthur Wharton (1865-1930) who played in goal for Darlington in 1885 and is something of a local hero there. He also played for PNE, Rotherham and Sheffield United. Arthur also won the AAA 100 yard title in 1886 to become officially, the fastest man in Britain. There's a good article about him here: Arthur Wharton

Laurie Cunningham was the first black player to represent England at any level. Viv Anderson was the first black player to appear for the senior England team.

With foreign blood in me I'm curious of history of city players ?

Probally over's 40's will scratch their head's and under 30's will go online so here go's

1= Who was our 1st black player ??????

2=who was our 1st foreign player not as above and not uk born ????

a load of players come to mind but who would you say is our top 3 players from the player's above of 1&2

As for the first Black footballer to play for us it may have been Fred Corbett. He played for West Ham and is in a team photo for the 1899 season and he was still there during the 1901-1902 season before moving on (to the Gash!) and then onto us and finally it looks as if he completed his career at Brentford.

I am not sure exactly when he played for us but he was not present in our 1909 FA Cup Final lineup, not to say he was here but injured. No subs at that time of course.

Could Fred Corbett also have the distinction of being the first player to play for both Bristol clubs I wonder?

And no, before any wag mentions it, I didn't see him play! :laugh:

Walter Tull is also of interest as only the 'second' black man to play proffesionally. His is an interesting story:

Walter Tull

However, he does have a decidedly inferior moustache in comparison with Wharton.

That's a great read - apart from the "Bristol hooligans" reference. What an athlete Walter Tull must have been (and what a good guy).

I guess that his £4 per week wage from Spurs was a lot of money in those days but it surely doesn't compare to the vast salaries of today's so-called superstar footballers?

Walter Tull is also of interest as only the 'second' black man to play proffesionally. His is an interesting story:

Walter Tull

However, he does have a decidedly inferior moustache in comparison with Wharton.

very good read fair do's to the guy seems to have taken racisim very well, seemed to be alot of stuck up people in the army and only people who saw him on the pitch seemed to like him !!!!!!

Archived