IGNORED

Stern John: A Wacky Idea...

mozo

OK so we know he hasn't played well since his arrival and that people are getting on his back.

We also know that Gary Johnson rates him, values his influence, and thinks we fans have been too harsh.

So, I got to thinking: managers and players always bang on about the effect fans have on the performance, is there any way we can change this situation?

Then I stumbled on a crazy, crazy idea...

How about we cheer Stern John on even more than Basso, Elliott and Orr. As soon as the players step on to the pitch, they could be met by a chorus of 'One Stern John!'. Now, I mean genuine support (not sarcastic!) to see if the power of vocal fans really does bring the best out of the players.

Now I think my high horse is trotting over to the asylum to drop me off...

OK so we know he hasn't played well since his arrival and that people are getting on his back.

We also know that Gary Johnson rates him, values his influence, and thinks we fans have been too harsh.

So, I got to thinking: managers and players always bang on about the effect fans have on the performance, is there any way we can change this situation?

Then I stumbled on a crazy, crazy idea...

How about we cheer Stern John on even more than Basso, Elliott and Orr. As soon as the players step on to the pitch, they could be met by a chorus of 'One Stern John!'. Now, I mean genuine support (not sarcastic!) to see if the power of vocal fans really does bring the best out of the players.

Now I think my high horse is trotting over to the asylum to drop me off...

I would like to see/Hear it.

Would the fans do it for Lj as well??????????????

Mod's, ban this nutter now!

How dare you take away our rights as paying fans to Boo our own players! :noexpression:

I agree mate, anyone who wears the shirt gets my 100% backing on match day. If he's s**t then I'll have a good moan in the car on the way home.

Mind you, there is the added bonus that if Stern is being booed, it deflects some of the flack from Johnson Jr, it's the Bristol city way to have a scape goat! I still blame Ian Baird.........no really!

Public opinion.

Do you think he would respond to a bit of support?

Well you are part of the public so yes public opinion. But my public opinion is that he has done OK and I'm happy to have him here.

And in answer to your question- I don't think it would make a big difference. He isn't suddenly going to start running about a lot because he isn't that type of player.

Are you trying to turn this into a LJ thread?

I think he's making the point of the effect that undivided support has, LJ like Stern has endured his boo's, how this possibly benefits the Club I'm not sure. for me, it only serves to highlight a possible psychophysical issue of the persons mind who thinks this, very questionable behaviour to me.

Guest bigcheese

The majority of the crowd getting behind em certainly seem to make things happen. Basso's backheel or even just for some reason a few second halfs.

Agreed on the booing generally, if you cant say anything constructive and all that.... :englandsmile4wf:

Are you trying to turn this into a LJ thread?

No of course not. Just making the suggestion that if support like this was given to Stern and it worked then maybe it would be a good idea to do the same for LJ. he is after all the other main city player that has received the same sort of Flack as Stern.

It seems nobody can mention Lj without somebody saying "Are you trying to turn this into a LJ thread?". Tell you what lets just all pretend that Lj doesnt exist shall we.......that way we wont ever talk about him and you wont get annoyed everytime he is mentioned on here.......hang on ........what was i talking about???........Who the hell is Lj?????????

I agree mate, anyone who wears the shirt gets my 100% backing on match day. If he's s**t then I'll have a good moan in the car on the way home.

Couldn't have put it better myself RaF. Any player wearing the red shirt gets my backing and support during the game. In the car on the way home / pub / on the forums are a different matter!

There have been numerous chants of 'Lee, Lee Lee Johnson' in the EE this season!

Couldn't have put it better myself RaF. Any player wearing the red shirt gets my backing and support during the game. In the car on the way home / pub / on the forums are a different matter!

There have been numerous chants of 'Lee, Lee Lee Johnson' in the EE this season!

Thats good to hear!!!!.....hope it continues!!!

Thats good to hear!!!!.....hope it continues!!!

Me too........Lee, Lee, Lee Johnson. That would signify that he was playing well.

And back on topic, it would be nice to hear Stern, Stern, Stern John too.

I reckon this thread is about 50/50 between the two at the moment. Never mind eh.

• Admin
Well you are part of the public so yes public opinion. But my public opinion is that he has done OK and I'm happy to have him here.

And in answer to your question- I don't think it would make a big difference. He isn't suddenly going to start running about a lot because he isn't that type of player.

Should we be happy with OK? His sub appearance against Charlton was, IMHO, the best shift I've seen him put in, but, that was 28 minutes against the side bottom of the table.

Does he really offer an improvement on players we already have? I'm not convinced he does, (although he has managed 18 games since October, you have to go back to Feb 07 to Brookers 18 games for us).

I'd like to think Maynard and Akinde are the future, Maynard looks to be the more technically gifted, Akinde raw, yet full of enthusiasm and with some pace, which we have been lacking. Adebola does a great job in giving defenders hell and creating space for others, as well as scoring some crucial goals. I'd like to reserve my opinion of Styvar, his running off the ball against Charlton created space, but he is obviously not yet settled (it took Maynard a while, so I'll be patient). The option to recall a match fit Trundle gives the opportunity to introduce something different to the mix, but IMHO, he has fallen far short of the player I expected for £1M.

No player wearing the red and white shirt should be jeered off the pitch.It only is ever going to have a negative effect,never a positive.Stern John is never going to run around like a headless chicken,he has that laid back look(horizontal if you want).So get use to it! You wont change it now or ever. We should cheer him and LJ and any other player in a red and white shirt,whether they are playing good or bad.Its simple, you will only get negative from being negative,but you might just get somethig positive from being positive.ITS JUST COMMON SENSE REALLY!!!

Should we be happy with OK? His sub appearance against Charlton was, IMHO, the best shift I've seen him put in, but, that was 28 minutes against the side bottom of the table.

Does he really offer an improvement on players we already have? I'm not convinced he does, (although he has managed 18 games since October, you have to go back to Feb 07 to Brookers 18 games for us).

I'd like to think Maynard and Akinde are the future, Maynard looks to be the more technically gifted, Akinde raw, yet full of enthusiasm and with some pace, which we have been lacking. Adebola does a great job in giving defenders hell and creating space for others, as well as scoring some crucial goals. I'd like to reserve my opinion of Styvar, his running off the ball against Charlton created space, but he is obviously not yet settled (it took Maynard a while, so I'll be patient). The option to recall a match fit Trundle gives the opportunity to introduce something different to the mix, but IMHO, he has fallen far short of the player I expected for £1M.

Akinde is the future for sure but you do need an old head in there whilst Akinde is learning and John certainly provides that- as has been demonstrated by Maynard and Sproule saying so. He won't be here forever so we have to make use of him whilst he is here and I think we have been.

He is definately an improvement on Trundle for me but again I'm sure we will disagree on that.

I'm happy with OK whilst we are still winning and he is contributing to that. His best game full game was against Reading for me.

The thing is, don't forget, a £1m to Bristol City sounds like a hell of a lot, but lets not forget that to get a decent, proven Striker for the Championship, you will need a hell of a lot more then £1m. Look at Chopra and Nugent, 15/20 goal Championship Strikers....went for £6m + I believe.

I'm not saying Trundle has set the world a light, far from it...but its not very often your going to spend £1m on a player that can bang in 15/20 goals in the Championship

You get what you pay for in this day and age......£1m to us is a lot, but its not much in the football world

Archived