IGNORED

Stupid Playoffs

The only reason they are there is to make money for mid-table clubs. Not only could City come 3rd two seasons in a row and still not a chance of going up, but it happens loads of other times. Hereford in the conference came 2nd, 1 point behind 1st place and 17 points ahead of 3rd and 21 points ahead of 5th. What a silly rule that Hereford could miss out on League football because of stupid rules when they are far better than the other teams in the division (bar 1). We play in leagues for teh whole season, not cups!

Rant over

Guest Ciderhead Reynolds

Tis True !

You play 40 odd games throughout the season to be in the best possible position and can then not be promoted down to 3 maybe 2 games ! I would like 2 see someone from the FA explain that to the Ashton Gate faithfull if we again finish 3rd and not be promoted :)

Surely though with the money made through playoffs the club who finish 6th could then also gain more money than the team who finish 1st as the Champions of Div 2 and 3 only recieve 25k for finishing top ...

Another injustice :@

you have to look at it from the other side as well - if we were in 6th position & we scraped promotion like Bardiff last season would you be complaining?

It's hard but all teams have to lump it - we could/should have had auto sewn up ages ago so it's the players/manager's fault we're suffering like we are!

True. Personally I thought th eplay-offs were a good idea at the time they were introduced, but after a decade or so I think they are overall not a fair reward on league positions, despite their financial reward possible.

The method behind the madness of the playoffs was a subject bought up some time ago (possibly after losing out last season).

The reason the playoffs are in existance, and that the third place team doesn't go straight up, is to generate more interest throughout the course of the season.

Let's for example say that come February/March, City are in midtable. We're well ahead of the relegation candidates, but quite a way behind the top two. Realistically we can look at a mid-table - 5th/6th place finish.

If there were no playoffs, a team that finds themselves in a similar position has virtually nothing to play for for the the last couple of months of the season. What the playoffs do, is give a chance to the mid-table teams of getting into the top 6 and still have the chance of promotion.

Yes it's hard to digest when you finish third and don't go up, and a team like Cardiff scrape 6th place and go up through the playoffs, but you look at it from their perspective. If that was Bristol City last season finishing in 6th and still winning promotion, would this thread even exist?

I hate the playoffs. Even though they have seen us promoted twice through them I still think its wrong and unfair. If you finish third in the table you should be up and deservedly so. If you finish six then all this means is your a better than average team but not quite ready for a higher league.

it is stupid these play offs if you work your butt off to make it to 3rd bout 6 points ahead of the others then you have to take a place in the play-off u loose from a fluke goal in the final all the years work is wasted. its a bit like the rugby leauge bath could miss out evan though they have topped it all year

Everybody knows the rules, If you come third you may as well be be Sixth.

The solution is simple you come first or second.

You go to Wycombe a team who have been bottom of the league all season and who have won a total of 6 games all season and you win (and incidentally Wycombe have only scored 6 goals less than us) Oh yes, You also beat them at home as well.

We have a manager who is the highest paid in our division and higher paid than more than a few in the first division.

He has been given the best part of a million pounds to spend on players this season (probably as much as the sum total of the whole division) and Murray aside what has he bought, He has bought absolute dross, Most of whom have become bench warmers, After he realised what he had bought.

His tactics and substitutions have bordered on the unbelievable all season.

But most importantly, Even if you have an inept manager, The most important thing you need is guts, backbone and you need to put effort in, I'm sorry but this is the most crucial ingredient (especially against the Wycombes) and that has been sadly lacking since Wilson took over.

What sticks in my throat is the post match spin, We deserved something, We played well, We were unlucky and the mind boggling we could'nt catch Plymouth.

The bottom line is the play offs is what we deserve and I expect that none of our prospective opponents fear us whatsoever, The play offs unfair my ARSE, When you enter a lottery, You check the rules before buying your ticket.

Archived