IGNORED

Melbourne Reds ?

Philip Belgrave

When you meet a total stranger in Melbourne- or the State of Victoria come to that- one of the first questions always asked is '"Which footy team do your support".

They mean,of course, which Australian Rules Football Team has your allegiance.

I always throw the questioner off-balance by announcing, proudly, "BRISTOL CITY" .

(Actually, in Australian Rules terms ,the answer is COLLINGWOOD, but why make it easy for them ?)

Similarly, on casual Fridays I sometimes wear my CITY replica shirt in the office.

"Ah yes, A Man U fan!"

I correct them through gritted teeth.

Life can be tough being an exile- is there anyone one else around here in a similar predicament ?

When you meet a total stranger in Melbourne- or the State of Victoria come to that- one of the first questions always asked is '"Which footy team do your support".

I always throw the questioner off-balance by announcing, proudly, "BRISTOL CITY" .

(Actually, in Australian Rules terms ,the answer is COLLINGWOOD, but why make it easy for them ?)

Similarly, on casual Fridays I sometimes wear my CITY replica shirt in the office.

"Ah yes, A Man U fan!"

Life can be tough being an exile- is there anyone one else around here in a similar predicament ?

Now I'm down (or is that up and to the right for you) in Brisbane I wore my shirt to the local pub quiz but got the right response as most were ex pats who recognised a good old bit of west country quality when they saw it.

Also went into the CBD on a Queensland Roar night with it on and again the expats did the job - West Ham, no less.

Wasn't quite the same at a match, but then, Manure we aint!

"Ah yes, A Man U fan!"

Hi,

Ima city fan in Canberra most people don't know who city are but i do get the odd one or two who do see my bcfc shirt frame niceley on my office wall, wear it with pride I'm sure one or two people will know who we are.

robbie

Archived