IGNORED

Finding The Right Man

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

Two things have prompted this post. the sacking of Scolari and a comment made by Man U boss Fergie " I wish I'd have signed him ( Van Der Sar ) after Schmeicel "

Even the most fervent Man U haters must surely hold some respect for Ferguson, yet by his own admission, it took him 10, yes 10, keepers between Schmeicel and Van Der Sar.

It must be so difficult for Chairmen to appoint the right Manager and subsequently for that Manager to find and blend players into a successful team, could and should we as fans, be more understanding and patient?

Two things have prompted this post. the sacking of Scolari and a comment made by Man U boss Fergie " I wish I'd have signed him ( Van Der Sar ) after Schmeicel "

Even the most fervent Man U haters must surely hold some respect for Ferguson, yet by his own admission, it took him 10, yes 10, keepers between Schmeicel and Van Der Sar.

It must be so difficult for Chairmen to appoint the right Manager and subsequently for that Manager to find and blend players into a successful team, could and should we as fans, be more understanding and patient?

look at portsmouth

Interesting post. Clearly as demonstrated by Adams at Pompey there is a difference between someone who has "the way" or doesn't. In many respects your manager needs to be a strong figure, someone who demands respect from the players but at the same time isn't deemed as a miserable a##e. Everyone on this forum has their own opinion on who should be playing, what tactics should be used and who we should sign but in the end can any of us say that it is guaranteed that our ideas would work?

In regards to Van Der Sar, perhaps Sir Alex could have signed him earlier. Clearly Van Der Sar had the makings of a top keeper at Fulham but perhaps was never brought fully into the limelight because of Fulhams league position at that time. With respect Tim Howard since leaving United has become one of the Premier leagues most consistent performers and is now a very good keeper. Roy Caroll has eevn gone on to iron out the mistakes that occasionally plagued him at Utd to play for Derby. Barthez wasn't all that bad either.

With high profile managers like Scholari you wonder if he diden't sack Chelski rather than the other way around.

Hell yeah!

Firstly you have to get the right Club, this is key. BCFC Check.

Then you have to do seriously well to find the right City fan willing to own the club and put his millions in. Steve Lansdown Check.

Then almost as importantly, you have to search the globe for the faint hope you can get the right Manager to understand and carry out the owners ambition, Gary Johnson Check!

Now the easy bit is done the Gaffers only job is to find the players who are going to make it all happen on the pitch...not asking much is it?! :whistle:

Well, check out this lot!

AB, LC, LF, BO, JM, JM, MM, ME, LJ, BW, IS, NM, the, SM, PS, CS, SJ, CR, JW, CW. CHECK!!

Hope I didn't miss anyone out.

We've got it good imo, Chelsea may have their millions and world beating stars, but with that kinda money comes impossible ambition, you will never be happy as a fan because you can never ever over archive again... that's what i like about us, we CAN overachieve and we DO overarchive and the Chelsea fans of this world will never ever know how great that feels.

It just goes to show how lucky we are that Steve Lansdown managed to pick the right man for Bristol City and stick by him even when things weren't going so well.

In general it is possible to get a good impression of a manager from the interviews he gives and right from the off everything Gary Johnson has said has made sense. It's almost always been possible to see what he's trying to do and what he's doing to achieve it and that's proof in my book that he's a superb manager.

With others, such as Tinnion, there was never a clear message, just a string of reactionary and often contradictory statements.

Interesting post. Clearly as demonstrated by Adams at Pompey there is a difference between someone who has "the way" or doesn't.

Adams may, or may not, turn out to be a half-decent manager somewhere somewhen but as a direct comparisson to Fergie I don't remember Man Utd selling their best players the moment they gave him the job. Had they done so he may not have kept the job long enough to get a knighthood!

Hell yeah!

Then you have to do seriously well to find the right City fan willing to own the club and put his millions in. Steve Lansdown Check.

Then almost as importantly, you have to search the globe for the faint hope you can get the right Manager to understand and carry out the owners ambition, Gary Johnson Check!

Now the easy bit is done the Gaffers only job is to find the players who are going to make it all happen on the pitch...not asking much is it?! :whistle:

AB, LC, LF, BO, JM, JM, MM, ME, LJ, BW, IS, NM, the, SM, PS, CS, SJ, CR, JW, CW. CHECK!!

We've got it good imo, Chelsea may have their millions and world beating stars, but with that kinda money comes impossible ambition, you will never be happy as a fan because you can never ever over archive again... that's what i like about us, we CAN overachieve and we DO overarchive and the Chelsea fans of this world will never ever know how great that feels.

Top post... Check..

long live GJ and SL, check.

come on you reds. double check

• Admin
Hell yeah!

Can't disagree, but it hasn't happened overnight, there were some very vociferous posts on here about SL, his previous choices of Manager and even calls for him to sell, thankfully he didn't.

If you look at the time Adams was given. When Johnston first took over could easily have been sacked. But we have a great chairman who gave Johnston time to turn it round. The chairman & Manager partnership his another key issue in this debate. Look at Newcastle for instance.

If you look at the time Adams was given. When Johnston first took over could easily have been sacked. But we have a great chairman who gave Johnston time to turn it round. The chairman & Manager partnership his another key issue in this debate. Look at Newcastle for instance.

The difference for me is that Johnson talked sense right from the start. We all knew where the problems were and everything Johnson said gave me confidence that he knew where they were too and that he was determined to tackle them. Results may have been poor but the message was clear.

Adams on the other hand sounded like a man who had absolutely no idea about what was happening to his team or why. He will never make a successful manager.

It just goes to show how lucky we are that Steve Lansdown managed to pick the right man for Bristol City and stick by him even when things weren't going so well.

In general it is possible to get a good impression of a manager from the interviews he gives and right from the off everything Gary Johnson has said has made sense. It's almost always been possible to see what he's trying to do and what he's doing to achieve it and that's proof in my book that he's a superb manager.

With others, such as Tinnion, there was never a clear message, just a string of reactionary and often contradictory statements.

Absolutely agree. When Gary was interviewed on his appointment my first thought was this is a man who knows what he is talking about and can communicate it well. Big contrast at the time to the endless unpunctuated sentences of Danny Wilson that left me baffled as to what the hell he was saying.

Harsh on Tinnion who started to clear the dressing room. If not it would not have been just nine on a trot. Also got balls to give youth a chance.

Can't disagree, but it hasn't happened overnight, there were some very vociferous posts on here about SL, his previous choices of Manager and even calls for him to sell, thankfully he didn't.

Indeed, Its cringworthy thinking back to it :pinch: , we'll struggle to find any City these days with a bad word to say about SL, rightly so, imo one of the most respected Football chairman, not just by us, but by the UK football fraternity as a hole.

Harsh on Tinnion who started to clear the dressing room. If not it would not have been just nine on a trot. Also got balls to give youth a chance.

SL appointing Tinnion was SL the romantic, no the hard-nosed businessman he is in his day job, you have to respect SL for giving Tins the opportunity, Tinnion is a City hero and always will be, he had a pop at managing City and it didn't work out, cant help thinking if it wasn't for the 7-1 drubbing we got a Swansea we wouldn't have GJ here, oh my, whata thought.. :noexpression:

hmm a chance or didn't get given a money? fair play to him but I think it was way too early from what coaching academy to manager of wilson who had exspectations of the play offs.

Archived