IGNORED

Bristol Rugby - Always In Trouble?

Percy Parrot

I don't know much about rugby to be honest. The basics and I follow the scores and international games.

But can someone tell me what is it with Bristol Rugby? They seem to be in crisis all the time! Maybe I have this wrong as I really don't know too much about them. But it seems that this is at least the 2nd if not the 3rd financial crisis that seems to have hit them in the last 10 years or so. In that time they've spent time in the second tier and never really been that great, except perhaps one or maybe two seasons when they performed well. I was under the impression that they got relatively high gates - maybe not quite Bath or Wasps in size of support but I thought they were ok.

So is there something I'm missing - why are they in trouble again?

May well be people like me who "support" their results but never bother to go to games or buy merchandise.

I don't know much about rugby to be honest. The basics and I follow the scores and international games.

But can someone tell me what is it with Bristol Rugby? They seem to be in crisis all the time! Maybe I have this wrong as I really don't know too much about them. But it seems that this is at least the 2nd if not the 3rd financial crisis that seems to have hit them in the last 10 years or so. In that time they've spent time in the second tier and never really been that great, except perhaps one or maybe two seasons when they performed well. I was under the impression that they got relatively high gates - maybe not quite Bath or Wasps in size of support but I thought they were ok.

May well be people like me who "support" their results but never bother to go to games or buy merchandise.

Yes, I tend to blame you Percy Parrot.

Actually, I don't even like the game, it seems to lack finesse. I wouldn't be bothered if it disappeared from Bristol.

It's as simple as they don't have a rich backer! Most clubs run close to the salary cap of £4m whilst Bristol operate close to £3m. They will do well to stay up this year and have a must win game on Friday against Newcastle who are in similar financial difficulties.

I think John Laycock has got involved recently though so could be signs of improvment.

It's as simple as they don't have a rich backer! Most clubs run close to the salary cap of £4m whilst Bristol operate close to £3m. They will do well to stay up this year and have a must win game on Friday against Newcastle who are in similar financial difficulties.

I think John Laycock has got involved recently though so could be signs of improvment.

I hope things do improve for Bristol Rugby Club. They've had it tough in recent years what with the Gas squatting at their Memorial Ground. If the fortunes improve for Bristol Rugby Club they may then be able to send the Gas packing back to Trumpton. :winner_third_h4h:

Anyone go tonight? Shocking it was...

No pack, knock ons, no commitment and most of all NO PRIDE. That's it, division one here we come!

We nearly folded at Christmas - new backers now - hopefully we can survive after all the big names jump ship. There is no money in league one, so its literally back to an U21 side.

Shocked/Sad/Gutted/Depressed Bling x

Anyone go tonight? Shocking it was...

No pack, knock ons, no commitment and most of all NO PRIDE. That's it, division one here we come!

We nearly folded at Christmas - new backers now - hopefully we can survive after all the big names jump ship. There is no money in league one, so its literally back to an U21 side.

Shocked/Sad/Gutted/Depressed Bling x

My thoughts exactly. It was played as if it was a game that nothing was riding on.

Most of the players played as if they had already got a new club lined up.

There is no money in league one, so its literally back to an U21 side.

It looks bad. I'm no rugby fan but it's a great shame that a club with the history of Bristol Rugby club will fall out of the top division with no obvious way back.

I would suggest the gas might find their non-football income down a tad next year as well.

Another heavy defeat, 32-13 at Sale.

It was just 2 years ago that we were in the top 3 in the League and it was 1 year ago where we beat Stade Francais, with a narrow loss there and Harlequins home and away. A 5 try win v Cardiff Blues and we would have made the quarter finals.

Now we can't even progress in the European Challenge Cup and are doomed with 1 win so far this year.

Most of the players played as if they had already got a new club lined up.

So has Richard Hill by all accounts, in France.

As has been said no rich backer is the main downfall so operating off a smaller wage bill, added to which the Squatters dicked them over in the summer with their volte face about not building the new ground - which they had known about for some time but had failed to tell the rugby club, so their budget was set at an even lower level, resulting in them not bringing in several new faces that had been lined up. Or so I am reliably informed.

Although the real rot set in when rugby saw the money that football was generating and operating at and thought "I'll have some of that" so went professional (although clubs like Bath had been all but professional for a long while with their boot money). In an instant they lost touch with their uniqueness, the fact that rugby clubs are rooted in the local community.

So has Richard Hill by all accounts, in France.

As has been said no rich backer is the main downfall so operating off a smaller wage bill, added to which the Squatters dicked them over in the summer with their volte face about not building the new ground - which they had known about for some time but had failed to tell the rugby club, so their budget was set at an even lower level, resulting in them not bringing in several new faces that had been lined up. Or so I am reliably informed.

Although the real rot set in when rugby saw the money that football was generating and operating at and thought "I'll have some of that" so went professional (although clubs like Bath had been all but professional for a long while with their boot money). In an instant they lost touch with their uniqueness, the fact that rugby clubs are rooted in the local community.

Drew Peacock that was an excellent analysis of the plight of Bristol Rugby Club. I usually buy their shirt but no way am I buying a shirt with 'Cabot Circus' emblazoned on it.

Archived