IGNORED

Frustrating England

Percy Parrot

Well that was frustrating. 2 half chances in the first half, and one or two in the second. Very very few good shots, keepers not tested and slow build up play.

However, to lose away at (in my opinion) the best country in the world is no disaster. Ok, so we didn't really turn up but no disaster and I'm pleased we're playing friendlies against France, Germany and Spain. They are of far more value than poorer opposition. The team, players and manager will learn far more from it.

Also let us not forget we were without Gerrard, Ferdinand, Rooney (our 3 best players IMO), Hargreaves etc.

Jaglielka and Upson were at mistake for the goals - but neither have played that much international football and will have learned from another game. And neither of them are first choice.

Robert Green is a very good keeper and I'm glad he's had a chance. Wright-Phillips looked semi-dangerous, however I would like to have seen Ashley Young come on too. There's probably not room for both in the side and in my opinion Young is slightly better and has more of a future. Beckham was the best player but this is a blessing and a curse for us. We don't want 33(?) year-olds who may be stuck in the MLS as our best player. Agbonlahor, like Heskey, was pretty isolated and inefficient - but I do rate him and am glad he's had a run. Wasn't their fault really - the midfield do not get up quickly enough to support either of them and the quality of ball to them was not good enough.

I think Capello must be realising that Downing isn't up to it. He was poor again and not good enough for England. I don't want to slate him too much but Young would be a far better option. The only thing I can think is that Capello didn't want both Wright-Phillips and Young on at the same time (both too attacking). But I would certainly rather have Beckham on one side and Young on the other than Downing and Wright-Phillips and you get the same kind of balance.

Playing Euroi champs, they have good players and had the strongest squad poss and at home.

We missed Rio Rooney Gerrard, Wes Brown, Joe Cole etc...The gaffer was trying new stuff out, who cares we got beat Cappello is an awesome manager, hes knows exactly what hes doing, its just the stupid dumb sports journos in the Mirror and Scum that are totally clueless. Spain looks pretty, but so what? A full strength England squad in a competitive game would have matched them.

no probs with Spain as a country though, they are not the enemy.

Argys

Germans

Portugal

Croatia

Scotland

Wales

are the enemy

And Brazil, while not disliking them its allways good to beat them

We weren't great, but we weren't terrible either.

I don't think Wes Brown would have made a huge difference.

Their passing was much better than ours, Xavi, Iniesta in particular, great to watch.

Here is who I think we were missing:

Ferdinand

Walcott (although his impact since Croatia has not been much)

Gerrard

J.Cole

Rooney

I make that half the first team.

Mind you, Spain were also either resting, or had missing several key players in Puyol, Marchena who they left on the bench in the 1st half and Silva. Because when all are fit and well, Alonso isn't a regular for Spain. I think Fabregas was also injured, but he's not a permanent fixture in the team either because the Spanish midfield in particular has so much depth.

Back to expand on the point briefly:

Although we had Jagielka starting for the 1st time, and Upson was inexperienced, it was similar for Spain...Pique was starting for the 1st time and Abidol was inexperienced.

In short, we were beaten by a better team...they are something like 29 unbeaten after all and have only conceded just shy of 1 goal per 3 games in that timespan!

Archived