IGNORED

Great Attendance

Freemantle 27

I was late to the gate yesterday and when I got to the turnstile they turned me away saying that 'I would be number 17001 and keeping it at 17000 would be cool and probably will get a thread on OTIB.' :innocent06:

That's interesting, I must have been a few minutes before you, because they let me in for free saying I was the 17,000 through the turnstiles and I was in two minds whether to go in or not.

I don't think that is going to be right. You would have to look at distribution curves, standard deviation and all that stuff, I think.

After all, it is a higher probability of being 16,000 than 12,000

You are absolutely right about standard deviation. in City's case this would be low because the historical stats of the season are all very similar, i.e. the 'mean' so the deviation is low. in other words there is a much higher probability that the attendance is going to be on or around 15,700 [our average] than other figures. the farther away you go, up or down, from this average the higher the deviation and, therefore, less likely it is to occur.

Now you would have to do a mathematical calculation to work out the chances of 17,000 happening. the chances of it happening again, this season would certainly run into millionths.

All fascinating stuff ! NOT !

:tumbleweed:

Archived