IGNORED

Some Interesting Comments From Donny Fans

cheshire_red

Pacman said on Wednesday 18th February 2009 at 17:29

[Report post as being abusive] I thought the Referee was consistant.......consistantly bad for both teams, some bizarre decisions and was easily the worst at the Keepmoat this season!!

As for City, I was really disappointed TBH. Normally I'd expect a Gary Johnson team to want to get the ball down and play so was really looking forward to this game as a result. I know the pitch isn't great and every team has off days but they just lumped it down the pitch at every available opportunity. Having no Adebola clearly didn't help that plan but apart from Maynard nobody else looked interested up front. The kid they got from Scunny, Iriekpen (I think) and the other youngster (Akinde??) looked Conference level at best when they came on. I was chuffed to bits when he took Stern John off!!

They, as a team, are obviously better than what we saw last night but I was really surprised at a Gary Johnson team playing in that manner!!

Interesting comment there from a Donnie fan, to say Akinde an Iriekpen looked conference level seems very harsh i wasnt at the game but a comment like that just seems a tad out of order to be honest. Apart from that I'm not suprised to hear we played some long ball stuff, to be fair theres a time and a place for hoof ball and away to Doncaster on a cold tuesday night IMO is the time to use it.

They were pleased when John went off and sounds like Akinde offered nowt. We were better off keeping him on I reckon.

Also- why did we try and hoof it all night? We played good football away at Norwich because we passed it and moved well.

Akinde actually offered far more than John, given that we were reduced to a fairly direct approach.

The reason why we were trying to hoof it is because most of the team played well below what they're capable of. Poor individual performances = no options = hoofing.

They were pleased when John went off and sounds like Akinde offered nowt. We were better off keeping him on I reckon.

Also- why did we try and hoof it all night? We played good football away at Norwich because we passed it and moved well.

:noexpression:

Well I have to admit, I feel we rely on the old hoof ball far to often!

Pacman said on Wednesday 18th February 2009 at 17:29

[Report post as being abusive] I thought the Referee was consistant.......consistantly bad for both teams, some bizarre decisions and was easily the worst at the Keepmoat this season!!

As for City, I was really disappointed TBH. Normally I'd expect a Gary Johnson team to want to get the ball down and play so was really looking forward to this game as a result. I know the pitch isn't great and every team has off days but they just lumped it down the pitch at every available opportunity. Having no Adebola clearly didn't help that plan but apart from Maynard nobody else looked interested up front. The kid they got from Scunny, Iriekpen (I think) and the other youngster (Akinde??) looked Conference level at best when they came on. I was chuffed to bits when he took Stern John off!!

They, as a team, are obviously better than what we saw last night but I was really surprised at a Gary Johnson team playing in that manner!!

Interesting comment there from a Donnie fan, to say Akinde an Iriekpen looked conference level seems very harsh i wasnt at the game but a comment like that just seems a tad out of order to be honest. Apart from that I'm not suprised to hear we played some long ball stuff, to be fair theres a time and a place for hoof ball and away to Doncaster on a cold tuesday night IMO is the time to use it.

I have to agree with the Donny fan's view of the game. We tried to play a bit of football in the first half without ever getting a foothold in the game, but second half we simply resorted to long balls from the back, firstly to Akinde and then to Akinde and Iriekpen in the vain hope that Maynard would pick up on a flick on. The tactic was used, i feel, because Donny pressurised in midfield superbly in both halfs and made sure that we couldn't get our midfield three going and creating chances for the front two and/or getting McIndoe in to attack from the wing. It meant for a lot of pressure in their half but i never felt that we were going to get anything from it.

As for Donny, i thought they were superb in the first half and a truly excellent passing side, carving us open a few times with their neat, incisive football. The referee and the linesman at our end were diabolical and sought to give any 50/50's to Donny at every opportunity, however the only people we have to blame for the defeat was ourselves thanks to our inability to be able to deal with the pressure Donny put us under right across the pitch. I don't think losing is a bad thing as the unbeaten run is now over and they need to regain that self same determination that we had at Watford on Boxing Day for our trip to Reading.

Archived