IGNORED

Wellens & Coppinger Or Johnson & Mcindoe

headhunter

Buoyed by our recent good form I made the decision to watch the game at the Keepmoat last night.

Personally I think we were worth a point but Donny came out of the blocks quicker than us hence the goal and for most of the game looked a yard faster to the ball without threatening in the way I fear Reading will this weekend.

I'd mark our players our of 10 as follows:

Basso, Orr, Carey, Fontaine. McAllister all 6.5

Maynard 7 - what can you do with so little service

Stern John 4 - being subbed at half time says it all; does not have the temperament for a cold night in Yorkshire

Skuse 6

Williams 5

Johson & McIndoe 4

Our midfield went missing and that for me continues to be the problem area for us.

Our good run was in spite of Lee Johnson not because of him and last night epitomised his shortcomings: weak in 50/50 situations, unable to challenge in a meaningful way for a headed challenge, short passes that look good on OPTA stats but 50% of the time put the recipeint under pressure. As you can tell I'm not a fan.

McIndoe was not much better - lots of dancing around the ball but limited end product.

In contrast I was impressed by the lively Coppinger who would be an ideal replacement for McIndoe [is that why they released him] whi allowed the crowd to get to him to the extent that he got himslef booked. And similarly Wellens who ran the midfield.

Williams is always the sacrificial lamb when Sproule comes on and for me that substitution signalled the end of our chance of winning the game as we resorted to route 1!!!

By the way, I thought Akinde did OK.

Rant over

Buoyed by our recent good form I made the decision to watch the game at the Keepmoat last night.

Personally I think we were worth a point but Donny came out of the blocks quicker than us hence the goal and for most of the game looked a yard faster to the ball without threatening in the way I fear Reading will this weekend.

Stern John 4 - being subbed at half time says it all; does not have the temperament for a cold night in Yorkshire

Skuse 6

Williams 5

Johson & McIndoe 4

Our midfield went missing and that for me continues to be the problem area for us.

Our good run was in spite of Lee Johnson not because of him and last night epitomised his shortcomings: weak in 50/50 situations, unable to challenge in a meaningful way for a headed challenge, short passes that look good on OPTA stats but 50% of the time put the recipeint under pressure. As you can tell I'm not a fan.

McIndoe was not much better - lots of dancing around the ball but limited end product.

In contrast I was impressed by the lively Coppinger who would be an ideal replacement for McIndoe [is that why they released him] whi allowed the crowd to get to him to the extent that he got himslef booked. And similarly Wellens who ran the midfield.

Williams is always the sacrificial lamb when Sproule comes on and for me that substitution signalled the end of our chance of winning the game as we resorted to route 1!!!

Rant over

Good job he doesn't get picked on the basis of his opta stats then isn't it.

I didn't go to the Doncaster game but during the Southampton game Cole Skuse looked to be the rising star of our midfield, Lee Johnson put in a decent shift and Gavin Williams put in an excellent shift. It's thus disappointing to read that Johnson and Williams slipped up against Doncaster. We really are very reliant on good performances from Johnson and Williams in our midfield if we are to make the pray-offs.

Skuse 6

Williams 5

Johson & McIndoe 4

Rant over

I'm sorry but I was at the game too and that is not how it looked to me:-

Basso, Fontaine & McAllister all 6

Maynard, McIndoe, Orr & Carey 5

Stern John 6.5 and worked very hard

Johnson & Skuse 4 were very poor

Williams 7 Looks the best we have in midfield

I'm sorry but I was at the game too and that is not how it looked to me:-

Basso, Fontaine & McAllister all 6

Maynard, McIndoe, Orr & Carey 5

Stern John 6.5 and worked very hard

Johnson & Skuse 4 were very poor

Williams 7 Looks the best we have in midfield

No way was Williams 3 better than the other two.

No way was Williams 3 better than the other two.

According to headhunter's initial post: Skuse 6, Williams 5, Johnson & McIndoe 4. Our midfield went missing and that for me continues to be the problem area for us.

....doesn't make good reading but let's hope it's only a blip as the midfield did pretty well in the 8 or so games up until Doncaster away.

According to headhunter's initial post: Skuse 6, Williams 5, Johnson & McIndoe 4. Our midfield went missing and that for me continues to be the problem area for us.

....doesn't make good reading but let's hope it's only a blip as the midfield did pretty well in the 8 or so games up until Doncaster away.

Probably closer but at least McIndoe was showing some fight - although probably misplaced and misdirected - he does seem to get easily influenced by the crowd. Johnson was Johnson - always trying to be available for an easy lay-off but sometimes was too casual or too clever, and Williams - well, not sure what he was up to half the time. Having said all that, I don't think anyone played particularly well and I'd agree with GJ, we lacked shape and there was no pattern to our play. I think that's why he went long so early - it was clear they weren't up to playing on the floor for whatever reason last night.

You don't win 7 games in 8 at this level whilst carrying a central midfielder.

You just don't.

No you don't and as I posted several weeks ago this fine run of form gave the club a breathing space to make a more considered evaluation of the playing aquad rather than a knee jerk panic, that may have happended had our pre Christmas form continued.

I still beleive as I have consistantly that the midfield area needs more strength / quality in depth. And the next group of matches will be interesting as we play more teams from the top third of the table. Nevertheless the manager and the team have done extermly well, to all but secure our Championship status and have given themselves an opportunity to go for the top six in the remaining games and for that they all deserve a very big well done.

Going forward will be intersting though as a more long term approach to the structure of the team will need to be taken in my view and a couple of "Steddie Eddies" will nedd to be replaced, will more quality, but of course with the Gary Johnson work ethic attached. IF the clubs stated ambition is to be achieved in the mid to long term. Not an easy task for the manager but something I feel he is very capable of doing.

feel free to post a link to where these stats for any of the squad can be seen,

as for the orginal topic comparsion.

forget Coppinger and Wellens (thought Wellens would have been a VERY good signing a few years back), Brian Stock is a player I'd like to see at City, one of those players we should have looked at years ago back when he was at Bournemouth.

feel free to post a link to where these stats for any of the squad can be seen,

as for the orginal topic comparsion.

forget Coppinger and Wellens (thought Wellens would have been a VERY good signing a few years back), Brian Stock is a player I'd like to see at City, one of those players we should have looked at years ago back when he was at Bournemouth.

I didn't bring them up - maybe you should be asking the guy who did.

Stock looked quality at the gate earlier on in the season, a few neat touches and turns and have seen some of his goals so has some end product.

Tbh from the promoted sides swansea and donny they both have very good championship players ala scotland, gomez, bodde, britton, wellens, stock, heffernan and maybe some others i have missed so maybe we should be looking at league one now.

Would be much cheaper and i'm sure they would love to come here. League 1 players i know about already are Beckford, Delph, Becchio and actually not many others. Since we've come up i take such little interest in that league but I'm sure their are some gems. We already have half our promotion team and Elliott and Maynard

YOU REDS!

win 7 out of 8 or whatever it was , rise up the table to within a point of 6th and with Elliot missing ( because apparently he carries Johnson :disapointed2se: ). We then have a blip ( i was at the game and Maynard had enough chances to get at least a point out of it ) and guess what.... we have a Johnson bashing thread.

BBBOOOORRRIIIINNNNNGGGGGGG and predictable.

Archived