IGNORED

Brooker's Injury Problems Down To Poor City Physio?

bh red

bit of a random article in today's EP

apparently following an operation, Brookers recovery wasn't looked after properly??? VERY DODGY?

hope this physio isn't at the club? surely these things shouldn't happen at a professional club?

anyone else even heard of him before? his name is a new one on me?

<a href="http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/sport/Brist...il/article.html" target="_blank">http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/sport/Brist...il/article.html</a>

A Bristol City striker lost the full use of his right knee after his club physiotherapist bungled his recovery, a misconduct hearing was told.

Bristol City player Steve Brooker, 27, was expected to play a "vital role" for the team after their promotion to the Coca Cola Championship for the 2007-2008 season.

He had an operation on his knee in May 2007 in the hope he would be ready for pre-season training in July.

But physio John Wiley failed to monitor his progress and then went off on holiday without leaving instructions that Brooker needed daily treatment.

Brooker had to have a second operation in June but the surgeon only agreed to go ahead on the condition Wiley had nothing to do with the recovery, the Health Professions Council heard.

The player has since left Bristol City for Championship rivals Doncaster Rovers.

Elizabeth Taheni, for the HPC, said Brooker was put forward for an arthroscopy after a series of knee problems throughout the 2006/7 season.

She said: "It was thought the rehabilitation would be easy for Wiley to manage. The club felt sure he would be able to cope."

But Wiley allegedly failed to see the player often enough, failed to take appropriate notes, did not understand the patient's condition and failed to communicate with other members of the club.

The player went on holiday to Spain in June but while away telephoned the club's doctor, Heather Montague.

"He told her he had been out the previous night and woken up in pain," said Miss Taheni.

"On returning to the club, he saw the club's surgeon who noted he still had a lack of extension in his right knee.

"He needed a second operation and was effectively back to square one.

"The player never regained full extension of his leg and the reason for that is the lack of appropriate physiotherapy following the operation."

Miss Taheni said Wiley was supposed to supervise the recovery for five weeks following the operation on May 14, 2007.

Despite instructions to monitor the patient six days a week, on one occasion no one saw Mr Brooker for five days, it was claimed.

Miss Taheni said Wiley also demonstrated a lack of basic knowledge by claiming the lack of extenstion was due to the stitches when the problem was fluid in the joint.

On July 13 Wiley noted that Mr Brooker was 'progressing well', when Dr Montague's verdict was 'progress was almost certainly not happening.'

Later the same month Wiley went off on holiday and handed over to another physio without telling her Mr Brooker was post operative or that he needed daily treatment.

His job came to an end in June after the surgeon refused to operate on Mr Brooker again if Wiley was still around, the hearing was told.

Wiley, of Bristol, is attending the hearing and denies all allegations, as well as misconduct.

The hearing continues.

I've met John a number of times and he's actually a very nice chap, he also got on very well with a number of players.

I'm not going to make any comment about his professionalism as it wouldn't be my place to do so.

Clearly for the club, its just a shame that things panned out the way they did for Brooker.

I've met John a number of times and he's actually a very nice chap, he also got on very well with a number of players.

I'm not going to make any comment about his professionalism as it wouldn't be my place to do so.

Clearly for the club, its just a shame that things panned out the way they did for Brooker.

No one is sayng he's not a nice chap, or that he didnt get on with the players.

The allegations are that he's not very good at his job.

I can believe it happens. I was told a few years ago that i had sprained my ankle by a doctor and had a massive swelling. Had physio for weeks as instructed and physio went on holiday. Replacment cover for holiday came in and within 2 minutes said go to the hospital and get a x-ray i think your ankle is broken. He was right. Doctor missed it and the physio. Had to have operation and foot in plaster for 8 weeks. I was not the only one to be mis-diagnosed. Feel sorry for Steve thought he was a pretty good player. :disapointed2se:

No one is sayng he's not a nice chap, or that he didnt get on with the players.

The allegations are that he's not very good at his job.

Wholly agree. I only made the point because (as is the norm) someone chipped in with a bit of abuse from the start.

Guest ashtonyate

I think there will be a few red faces around at the moment with the stick Brooker got on here about his fitness the bloke was hardy done by it seems by the after care he got always liked him a hole hearted player and if fit would have gots us promoted last year.

What about all the previous injuries? Some people are just injury prone i'm afriad. I don't know what to believe, the EP are hardly know for their balanced journalism are they?

His job came to an end in June after the surgeon refused to operate on Mr Brooker again if Wiley was still around, the hearing was told

If this is true then I feel sorry for Brooker, but I have more faith in the accuracy of rumors and whispers that what the EP claims.

I think there will be a few red faces around at the moment with the stick Brooker got on here about his fitness the bloke was hardy done by it seems by the after care he got always liked him a hole hearted player and if fit would have gots us promoted last year.
Quite agree with you Ashtonyate. Brooker was a great player when he was fit. I for one will miss seeing him play at the Gate. Good Luck Steve you deserve it.

Its a shame we'll never really know how much the bungled injury episode still has a direct effect on him. Did it just delay progress or does it cause a permanent problem for him.

If the former, I'd be keen to understand a little bit more about GJ's reasons for letting him go. If the latter, clearly he'll never be quite the player he was.

We'll might never know the whole truth I suspect.

Front page of the evil post this morning ...typical

I can't believe that there is no more news worthy story in our City this morning to make the front page. They sensationalise stories from our club to sell there rag! Where was the front page story of Rovers fans singing racist songs, I will tell you where, under the larger story of City fans being accused of criminal damage on a bus. I don't see the post repeating stories of similar incidents on Friday and Saturday nights in town.

personally I'm quite glad it has been made a big deal about.

Someone who was prevously a key player for city failed to recover from injury due to possible incompetence from Club Medical Staff, this is something that if hadn't been reported by the EP, we would never have heard anything about.

personally I find it VERY concerning that a player who was as good as brooker was, has never made a full recovery from an injury due to possible having someone in charge of him wasn't qualified to do his job.

Guest ashtonyate

If this is proven could Brooker claim compensation from the Club from the club for loss of earnings and malpractice as this man was employed by the club?.

Feel so sorry for Brooks if things could've worked out differently for him (& us) were it not for the seemingly dubious treatment he received at the time....

Also I just hope a certain famous stalker of Steve (Sarah B) isn't on the warpath & lingering around in dark alleyways etc... if I were the physio in question I'd stick to well lit public places & highways for the time being when venturing out.. :noexpression:

Good Luck to Steve - I hope his troubles are now behind him..

If this is proven could Brooker claim compensation from the Club from the club for loss of earnings and malpractice as this man was employed by the club?.

I would imagine that the physio's professional insurance provider will cover the costs etc if he is deemed to be liable. It'll be an interesting case though as with Brooker's history of injuries his team will have to go a long way in proving that it was the actions/inactions of the physio that caused the issues.

I would imagine that the physio's professional insurance provider will cover the costs etc if he is deemed to be liable. It'll be an interesting case though as with Brooker's history of injuries his team will have to go a long way in proving that it was the actions/inactions of the physio that caused the issues.

The case seems to have been brought about from his professional body so I'm sure that would go a long way to prove negligence by the physiotherapist.

Archived