Maesknoll Red

• Admin

This week last year:

P W D L F A W D L F A Pts good

17 7 0 1 18 3 4 1 4 15 14 38 +16

Today:

P W D L F A W D L F A Pts good

17 4 4 1 14 6 1 5 2 5 8 24 +5

12 points, on current form thats a lot of ground to make up, the home defence last season was excellent, not so this season, all of the home draws being 1-1 (from defensive errors) and lets not forget that the goals for column is boosted by the opening day 5-0.

I really can't see how this is going to be turned around, the football I've witnessed this season has hardly been promising a sudden upturn.

Guest Red_Rat

yeh but remember afta christmas last year we had our stinker of a run,who noes we may skip that completeyl and go on grinding out results,the players r there 4 us 2 go all the way in the leeague,cum on lads

Guest pogue mahone

optimists only ? we'll be relegated by easter.

in seriousness consider the following,

the division is so tight at the moment that the final points total of successful teams is likely to be relatively low.

the year that cardiff lost in the play-offs to stoke, and the year we lost to brentford, both sides looked out of it as late as mid-march. there is still a long way to go yet. christ a few years ago middlesbrough were in the top 3 of the premiership at christmas and got relegated. league positions only matter at the end of the season.

the whole point of current form is that you can not see beyond it, we didn't look like having that appalling post-christmas run last season but it happened, we didn't look like going on that amazing unbeaten run under ward but it happened. if this squad is as good as it is meant to be then the corner can be turned.

• Admin
This could be quite a short thread then Shultz.

I don't believe we can actually get any worse so things can but improve.  :wacko:

A big effort will be needed to secure automatic promotion, in the last 10 years the lowest points total to go up from this division has been 81 points (only once and not recently). With 29 games left, we need to take 2 points a game, that will give us 82, in a poor division this year, that could be enough - but I really can't see us attaining that rate.

This week last year:

P W  D  L  F  A  W  D  L  F  A    Pts  good

17  7 0  1  18  3  4 1 4 15  14  38 +16

Today:

P W  D  L  F  A  W  D  L  F  A Pts good

17  4 4  1  14  6  1    5  2  5  8 24    +5

... shows the effect of the handful of missing goals in the 'F' columns so far ...

Right, lets get optimistic (ish).

We are currently only 7 points from automatic promotion with nearly 5 months of the season left. If there were 6 games left it would still be quite feasible to catch up.

Never mind the tables of last year, every season is different. For example, when we got promoted under Wardy, we finished with 85 points, 13 ahead of Grimsby, in other words,as long as we stayed ahead of the rest of the pack, 73 points would have been enough - and yet 83 was not enough last year.

We finished 3rd last year despite going two months without a win.

We are harder to beat this season.

We are not badly off in the table despite some poor performances and a number of 1-0 leads given away and vital points dropped.

The last time we got promoted, we had been beaten in the play-off semi-finals in the previous season.

The last time we got promoted, John Ward was the manager of a club in the West Country.

The last two times we were promoted there was trouble in Iraq and the middle east.

The last time we were promoted Gazza was making a comeback.

And this one is the final, spooky omen. The last season we were promoted England gained qualification for a major competition by drawing 0-0 on foreign soil in the October of that season - just like this season.

Reasons to be cheerful:

- This is an awful division. apart from QPR, I have seen no-one this year who look capable of running away with it. Dross like Wrexham are above us and despite the old cliches that 'the table never lies', I simply do not believe they, or Colchester, or Barnsley, or Hartlepool, or any of the rest of them are better equiped than us.

- On the same tack, Plymouth have proved that all you need to do is put a little run together and you can be table-toppers. Surely we are due a decent run?

- Because this division is much of a muchness, the promoted sides are almost certainly not going to get much more than 75-80 points. Who gives a monkeys whether we go up with less than 80 points? You don't hear Chelsea fans saying their sole Championship season was diminished because they won it with only 52 points out of a possible 84 (the record lowest, as it happens). Wolves (who were runners up) only got 48 points (also a record lowest). On my very ropey maths, that means they got only 57% of the points available. Equate that to where we are, this year's Div II runners up could total as few points as 78 points. We can do that, surely.

Chins up everyone!

Niall

PS. On re- reading the above, I don't want any of you to mistake my musings as more desperate than optimistic.......... :clap:

• Admin
City fans want optimism - Here you go - Your in Div.2 not div.3

Your strikers can score goals.

Your management team are not completely inept.

You are City, not Rovers. Stop feeling sorry for yourselves.

You're lucky that you have not had to witness the uninspiring and unconvincing displays - such a contrast to last year and I thought last year we were still a player or two short of what was needed.

Archived