IGNORED

Maynard

dezgimed

Suddenly hit me earlier, how slow Maynard is.

Is he still struggling with injury?

No pace whatsoever, not a criticism of the lad just an observation.

:preacher:

But since when has SLOW been an attribute? I mean i accept you may not mean to be criticising him as you say but surely, by definition, saying someone is slow is not a compliment is it?.. i suppose you might argue it is a 'broadly neutral' remark! :tumbleweed:

But since when has SLOW been an attribute? I mean i accept you may not mean to be criticising him as you say but surely, by definition, saying someone is slow is not a compliment is it?.. i suppose you might argue it is a 'broadly neutral' remark! :tumbleweed:

I guess for a footballer its not a compliment, but I'm just saying it as I see it.

I reckon Brooker over 12 yards when through on goal is quicker, or was when he could actually run.

I guess for a footballer its not a compliment, but I'm just saying it as I see it.

I reckon Brooker over 12 yards when through on goal is quicker, or was when he could actually run.

Fair dinkum.

And perhaps InternetJef has a point.. save him having to run out of puff if he simply stands still and does beckamesque curlers on goal.

It would help Maynard out immensely if we had a midfielder who looked up and saw the intelligent runs he makes and put him through. I lost count of the number of times he dumped his marker as we came forward and moved into space only to be ignored. He's quick enough if we played it early enough because he's got brains.

It would help Maynard out immensely if we had a midfielder who looked up and saw the intelligent runs he makes and put him through. I lost count of the number of times he dumped his marker as we came forward and moved into space only to be ignored. He's quick enough if we played it early enough because he's got brains.

Gavin Williams is the man for this and he does as does Stern John who is a clever player. Maynards problem is he makes too many straight runs and defenders push up in time, he needs to be a bit more clever and run across the line more. He has got the pace and the finish, just needs to be a bit more clever but that will come with experiance

i wouldn't say he's slow, he isn't the quickest and may be carrying a hamstring st

rain but is a class player. Wish some people would show more faith in his potential, he isn't going to get twenty goals a season yet but play the ball to his feet and he is deadly. If that chance in the 1st half was on his right foot it would have been a goal. But oh well. He will be worth the money just gotta believe in him.

i noticed and posted this after watching the reserve game against reading and also akinde wasn't as quick as expected that night and although slow is probably not the word i worry about how far they can go without searing pace

This is a really good point. He does make some brillant runs, but some of our midfielders (especially McIndoe) like to hold on to the ball often far longer than is necessary and in that time the opportunity of putting Maynard clean through has passed by.

Sometimes a quick ball is a good thing, but all to often we don't play it and play lots of sideways balls across the 18 yard line and alike......invaribly when we do, we create the opposition problems.

Very good point and something that i realised last night. One example was in the 1st half when McIndoe was running through the middle and Maynard had made a run of the shoulder of his marker, if the right ball was played he woud have been through. Instead, McIndoe took it forward himself although to his credit he forced the keeper to make a save and we won a corner.

Pace is a great assett to have but its not the only one. I think Maynard has other qualities. He seems to have good speed of thought, by that i mean he is able to give himself a yard headstart on the defender by just antisipating the next pass, making a bit of space for himself!

Guest churchill gaffer

To me it looks like he doesn't challenge for every ball. Espeacially in the air. (Probibly lack of confidence)

Very good point and something that i realised last night. One example was in the 1st half when McIndoe was running through the middle and Maynard had made a run of the shoulder of his marker, if the right ball was played he woud have been through. Instead, McIndoe took it forward himself although to his credit he forced the keeper to make a save and we won a corner.

As this attack unfolded like the above observers I felt a great chance had been missed. If you go to virginmedia.com and the City highlights from Tuesday you will see it also. In the opening attack when McIndoe receives the ball he should have have slotted it through to Maynard after his first or second touch. This was glaringly obvious from the Dolman F block. But no, McIndoe kept his head down and the opportunity was missed.

I find this quite a failing with the City play in general. Awareness of team mates is not prevalent and all so often we take too many touches before releasing the ball. Hence this delay ensures oppposing teams have that couple of seconds to cover up and reform. Teams visiting Ashton Gate seem to have the edge on us in this dept. Observe how often you will see sweeping moves or crisper first time passing from opponents.

Id like to see him take direct free kicks, hes got a cracking shot on him when he has a full swing

Not as powerful or directional as Styvar as I have noticed when they are practicing shooting before kick off. I think he's the one to watch with his overall vision during a game. I'd liked to have seen Styvar and Maynard paired up a long time ago!

Not as powerful or directional as Styvar as I have noticed when they are practicing shooting before kick off. I think he's the one to watch with his overall vision during a game. I'd liked to have seen Styvar and Maynard paired up a long time ago!

Our first choice pairing in a year or twos time

Imo he hasn't been up to the mark yet this season. 9 goals? From £2.25 million I find that a little dissapointing but I do feel confident that the adaptation process to both our style of football and the way in which championship games are played can't take too long now for Maynard. He is young with talent and a good work rate. Hopefully with some better finishing and touches he can become a real city great. Until then We aren't gaining the benefits of spending Imo.

Archived