IGNORED

Crossing - Delayed

dezgimed

Just wondered why we delay putting crosses in the box for so long?

Lost count the amount of times a striker would peel off a defender waiting for a cross, only for the player on the ball to dilly dally about taking extra touches.

McIndoe especially guilty today, and cant say any of his crosses were of any quality, even with plenty of time on the ball which is why I cant put a value on him that highly (thread earlier in the week).

First time balls in the box cause all sorts of mayhem so lets bloody use them!

:disapointed2se:

Lost count the amount of times a striker would peel off a defender waiting for a cross, only for the player on the ball to dilly dally about taking extra touches.

McIndoe especially guilty today, and cant say any of his crosses were of any quality, even with plenty of time on the ball which is why I cant put a value on him that highly (thread earlier in the week).

Problem is we don't have a wnger with ability to run at pace and then whip a ball in. Mcindoe does it RARELY but he seems to only be able to cross after he has stopped and taken a breather.

Think this should be top of our list of players to get in the summer. A winger that can run at defenders and cross the ball ACCURATLEY.

He does tend to have too many touches.Can be frustrating at times,their encouraged to play and thus sometimes over do it.Possibly could be the lack of bodies in the box,no midfielders adding to our strikers.With regards the quality,it again can be frustrating,but I would say that the movement in the box is sometimes very little.Ive always thought that strikers should go front and far,with midfielders arriving late,but this does not seem to happen often enough for my liking.

Glad someone else has noticed! We definately seem to delay when a first time cross looks like the better option and it gives the opposition time to get better organised after the cross has been delayed.

It's not just McIndoe, Lee Johnson does it and a few others. I think we need to be a little more direct at times.

Glad someone else has noticed! We definately seem to delay when a first time cross looks like the better option and it gives the opposition time to get better organised after the cross has been delayed.

It's not just McIndoe, Lee Johnson does it and a few others. I think we need to be a little more direct at times.

We seem to do the opposite of the best option, regarding crossing and shooting!

So many chances to shoot today and they pass, and vice versa. We seem to overplay too much lately.

To be fair to McIndoe he did put 2 good balls in today and he is playing central so he doesnt have the sole responsibilty of putting crosses in. The driven ball across the box in the first half could have gone anywhere. Luckily for them it went out for a corner but i am not sure the defender knew much about where the ball was going. Then right at the end he played a nice ball across with his right foot which Lj almost got on the end of (possible penalty shout in my book, would like to see it again) but is 2 decent crosses in a match enough??? I suspect not.

To be fair to McIndoe he did put 2 good balls in today and he is playing central so he doesnt have the sole responsibilty of putting crosses in. The driven ball across the box in the first half could have gone anywhere. Luckily for them it went out for a corner but i am not sure the defender knew much about where the ball was going. Then right at the end he played a nice ball across with his right foot which Lj almost got on the end of (possible penalty shout in my book, would like to see it again) but is 2 decent crosses in a match enough??? I suspect not.

I think your missing the point. Whilst he may have put some crosses in, at times he and others have opportunity to cross early and instead they delay by making a few passes and finally get a cross in when there are more numbers in the more or the defence have re-organised.

Its not individual criticism its a team thing. And its not the actual qualtiy of the cross being questioned, its the timing.

I think your missing the point. Whilst he may have put some crosses in, at times he and others have opportunity to cross early and instead they delay by making a few passes and finally get a cross in when there are more numbers in the more or the defence have re-organised.

Its not individual criticism its a team thing. And its not the actual qualtiy of the cross being questioned, its the timing.

No i understand the point totally. I only stated the 2 occasions because it was pointed out in the initial post that McIndoe was "especially guilty". I did say at the end of my post that 2 decent crosses in a game is not good enough! It doesnt matter what time you get the cross in if the quality isnt there!

No i understand the point totally. I only stated the 2 occasions because it was pointed out in the initial post that McIndoe was "especially guilty". I did say at the end of my post that 2 decent crosses in a game is not good enough!

Thought you we're being sarky!

The quality was definitely questioned.

Thought you we're being sarky!

No!

The point about getting early balls in is a good point which i agree with to a certain degree. We were definately guilty of missing good opportunities to get crosses in today. Having said that i wouldnt want us to just pump ball aimlessly into the box as i am sure you wouldnt. I only pointed out the 2 decent crosses by McIndoe because the original post did pick up on the quality of the balls as well.

How many crosses have we seen overhit that sail over everyone and go out for throw ins on the other wing. Why do we never get anyone coming in from the other wing to knock these back into the danger area?

It's something that frustrates the hell out of me.

Same at corners too - we never seem to have anyone at the back post to clear up any stray balls.

The forwards have to be able to get on to it too.

Adebola is our only forward who can actually outjump the defence. All our forwards are fairly slow too.

Luckily, Maynard doesn't need through balls. He just needs the ball to feet in the last third, a bit of space and can do the rest himself.

I've seen McIndoe try a few early balls into Maynard and they always screwed up the timing. I would have them practicing this 2hrs a day in training.

We also gave McIndoe the ball far too much. He had 2 defenders marking him most of the time and was rushing anyway.

Corners are tricky. We only have 3 options I think:

1. MIB has a point. If we're going for a Stern John 'front post' corner, we need someone on the back post. Else they need to be on the corner of the 6 yard box. LJ did it a bit against Cardiff but it needs to be 100% of the time.

2. Boom Boom.

3. The rest should be played along the ground eg McAllister previous game.

I thought Cardiff looked brilliant at the back on Sunday... First time balls and crosses were going nowhere. It was all about crosses into feet in and around the box.

McIndoe gets marked out of games in the 3-5-2 as he is our only winger. We do need a right winger a'la a young Murray...

I thought Cardiff looked brilliant at the back on Sunday... First time balls and crosses were going nowhere. It was all about crosses into feet in and around the box.

Glad someone was watching the same game I watched. ;)

McIndoe gets marked out of games in the 3-5-2 as he is our only winger. We do need a right winger a'la a young Murray...

Yeah, the quality of passing to McIndoe was great but he wasn't getting anything out of them and was double marked anyway.

I recall Adebola looking dangerous after receiving a pass up the middle but we didn't even try it again.

Archived