IGNORED

Football League "against Racism"

CotswoldRed

Whilst I wouldn't wish to belittle the important work of the kick racism out campaign (or whatever its called), it made me laugh to see their sign emblazened in corner of the Atyeo, whilst 18,000 fans sang out their hatred of the Welsh and English respectively.

I wonder what the campaign's view is of this.

I guess they'd call this nationalistic banter, so should go unchecked?

Whilst I wouldn't wish to belittle the important work of the kick racism out campaign (or whatever its called), it made me laugh to see their sign emblazened in corner of the Atyeo, whilst 18,000 fans sang out their hatred of the Welsh and English respectively.

Two Large sets of fans abusing each-other. If you want to be totally picky yes it can be viewed as racism.

But having a crowd direct racist abuse a one person is a different situation. And its that they want to stamp out I'd imagine.

don't think football has problem with racism generally anyway.

Agreed RIAZ. I've been watching at AG since the 80's and have seen very little of what I would call racism.

Personally I enjoyed the 'nationalist banter' yesterday, as would the Cardiff fans I imagine. Creating a sense of difference is what 2 sets of rival fans want.

Agreed RIAZ. I've been watching at AG since the 80's and have seen very little of what I would call racism.

Personally I enjoyed the 'nationalist banter' yesterday, as would the Cardiff fans I imagine. Creating a sense of difference is what 2 sets of rival fans want.

Got boring after a while, as did the bouncing.

they shouldnt be in our league english football we are called they shouldnt be playin in our league

The Britons were recorded by the Romans, pre invasion, of being constantly at war with there neighbours and are generally regarded as being the descendants of Hibernia or the Irish even further back in History. Wales or Walea in old English means foreigners. To me they are foreigners and it goes to show that even under this European farce of the European Union, we have virtually hated each other since man settled the lands. It,s not racism , its History.

i was in cardiff saturday night for a ringfight..about 400 peed up welsh giving us a hard time..my lad knocked the cardiff lad out in the first round..crowd was not happy..to top it all i had the cheek to wear my quarters,and being his coach was in the corner so came under loads of abuse..what with being english and from bristol,my second coach is a red and thank god he never wore his city top..

To me they are foreigners and it goes to show that even under this European farce of the European Union, we have virtually hated each other since man settled the lands. It,s not racism , its History.

I'm always looking at ways of being able to hate the European Union and its corrupt politicians more effectively. Since the top Welshman Neil Kinnock and his family are creaming around £500,000 per annum of our taxes from the European Union then that fills me full of furious anger. Add the fact that Neil Kinnock is one of Baadiff City's most famous supporters I now view any European Union supporter as a traitor to England. :winner_third_h4h:

I see it more as banter I don't see how anyone can actually hate someone just because they are from Cardiff and Vice Versa although I wanted us to beat them badly.

I did not join in with the "Ingerland" chants looking at our team it seems pretty pointless however a few years ago I would have joined in with all my lungs do not know why my views have changed.

I see it more as banter I don't see how anyone can actually hate someone just because they are from Cardiff and Vice Versa although I wanted us to beat them badly.

I did not join in with the "Ingerland" chants looking at our team it seems pretty pointless however a few years ago I would have joined in with all my lungs do not know why my views have changed.

I didn't join in either. Was a bit boring, and being part Welsh I'm not exactly interested in all this hating a different country rubbish.

Also, I couldn't help but wonder what the 'non-Ingerlund' players at our club (Basso, McAllister, McIndoe, Adebloa, Sproule, John, Williams, Styver, Murray, J Wilson, Henderson, Ribeiro) thought of it. Surely doesn't help to make them feel included...? Three of 'em are Welsh!

Blimey, really? I remember going in the late 80's and early 90's and wincing at the constant abuse of black players in the EE...even worse as the authorities just seemed to accept it.

Blimey, really? I remember going in the late 80's and early 90's and wincing at the constant abuse of black players in the EE...even worse as the authorities just seemed to accept it.

To be honest I can't remember that much racism in the late 80's or early 90's - but certainly early to mid 80's it was RIFE!!.

AG was though, no different to anywhere else at the time, and constant monkey chants and banana throwing were commonplace (but totally abhorent).

From memory, it started to change at AG with the more black players that we had in the team, although racism still persisted(I'm thinking of Junior Bent days - although it was never directed at him), and the hypocracy of directing racist chanting towards opposing players whilst coveting our own coloured players became evident.

Whilst NOT condoning AT ALL the racism in the late 70's or early 80's - younger posters won't appreciate that seeing a black player in those days (although not rare), wasn't commonplace - and although the chanters WERE clearly making racist comments - it was more to do with singling out an opposing player for stick to put him off his game. NOT THAT I AM AN APOLOGIST for what went on.

It certainly existed, but I don't recall it being a constant issue. I was a young'un so maybe some of it went over my head.

I'm happy to be corrected, but I don't remember racist chanting at the likes of Devon White (OK, not 80s). We had plenty of our own black players at the time.

It certainly existed, but I don't recall it being a constant issue. I was a young'un so maybe some of it went over my head.

I'm happy to be corrected, but I don't remember racist chanting at the likes of Devon White (OK, not 80s). We had plenty of our own black players at the time.

I started going with mates late '80s and there would always be a few renditions of 'shoot shoot' or 'day-o'

I attended the Birmingham City away game and was disgusted by the anti-Asian chanting that was going on throughout the game. Not just by a small minority. Glaring my disapproval at the uneducated scum I was stood by was in hindsight a poor decision and notifying stewards of the racist chanters would have been a better option. I don't go away as often as I used to and found this suprising and disappointing.

i was at derby the other sat, and not far behind was a guy who was abusing sj all game, you lazy ****, you useless ######g ####. and on it went. but tell you what i was happy really, in a way, cos not once did he precede any of the insults with the word "black".. the ranter behind me was the ####, but we have come on a long way........ i don't hear racism at city, leave that to the "family club"

I remember monkey chants from our own at Keith Curle when he first came to us in mid 80's. Died out after a while when everyone realised what a player he was.

Devon White took some terrible stick from City fans in one particular game. I think it was during the 89/90 season when we were both going for promotion.

I have to say that racism was alive and well at AG in the 80s and early 90s, as it was everywhere, but I never ever saw a banana being thrown.

If you were in Dolman block G near the back you would of heard racism, not just involving the W*lsh, I did and wasn't too impressed!

I heard it from near the front of the block- a surprising amount of people joined in. No problem with banter between Welsh and English, but that was out of order.

I attended the Birmingham City away game and was disgusted by the anti-Asian chanting that was going on throughout the game. Not just by a small minority. Glaring my disapproval at the uneducated scum I was stood by was in hindsight a poor decision and notifying stewards of the racist chanters would have been a better option. I don't go away as often as I used to and found this suprising and disappointing.

This is where the real rascist chanting is now, directed at the asian community.

Maybe deep down they realise that although a noble gesture their campaign maybe the truth (not the 'truth') is it is as much a PC smoke screen as anything else but tick a box it does well. Well done Football.

Or are they really naive?

Or is this just a sympton of my pre-tea/fag morose and cynical waking up mood?

I used to sit in front of a group of about 7 big burly blokes in the Dolman who came to every game pssed up and about 15 minutes late, then spend the whole game abusing any black players, normally our own - will never forget them shouting out "look out, here comes dodgy chocolate" whenever Clayton Fortune got the ball. Luckily, since that season (probably back in 01/02 or similar) I haven't witnessed anything like this.

I'm QUOTING this and don't agree whatsoever, but a minority sang:

I'd rather be a p*ki thank a Taff.

I'm sure you can work that out.

Heard this one first at Chesterfield a long time ago, mostly directed at myself as a bit of friendly banter. Being a Cardiff born Bristol City fan i get a lot of stick every now and then but take it in the manner it was meant - mainly as banter. But on Sunday there were some individuals in the Atyeo that said a lot of anti-welsh stuff with real venom, i'm sure that if they knew i was Welsh then they might have not have said as much. This is quite sad as we are all British, true we have our own national identities but ultimately we are one nation. I dread to think what these lads must think of other cultures and nationalities if their comments against the Welsh were anything to go by. I am all for banter but some of the chanting on Sunday went a little further than 'friendly' banter and unfortunately it is these bunch of morons that give us such a bad name on the continent. Kick them out of football - they are just as bad or even worse than moronic hooligans who believe they are true football fans.

Heard this one first at Chesterfield a long time ago, mostly directed at myself as a bit of friendly banter. Being a Cardiff born Bristol City fan i get a lot of stick every now and then but take it in the manner it was meant - mainly as banter. But on Sunday there were some individuals in the Atyeo that said a lot of anti-welsh stuff with real venom, i'm sure that if they knew i was Welsh then they might have not have said as much. This is quite sad as we are all British, true we have our own national identities but ultimately we are one nation. I dread to think what these lads must think of other cultures and nationalities if their comments against the Welsh were anything to go by. I am all for banter but some of the chanting on Sunday went a little further than 'friendly' banter and unfortunately it is these bunch of morons that give us such a bad name on the continent. Kick them out of football - they are just as bad or even worse than moronic hooligans who believe they are true football fans.

People will ALWAYS pick difference as a means to insult. The same people will happily sit next to Cardiff fans and share a drink if they are supporting, say, the GB cycling team etc.

In Bristol we hate the Rovers.

In London, Bristolians will hate the Cockneys.

Up North, Bristolians and Londoners will hate northerners.

In Scotland, Southerners and Northerners will hate the Scots.

it goes on.

People will ALWAYS pick difference as a means to insult. The same people will happily sit next to Cardiff fans and share a drink if they are supporting, say, the GB cycling team etc.

In Bristol we hate the Rovers.

In London, Bristolians will hate the Cockneys.

Up North, Bristolians and Londoners will hate northerners.

In Scotland, Southerners and Northerners will hate the Scots.

it goes on.

Someones been watching to much michael mcintyre dvd's ;)

Archived