IGNORED

Holloway States His Love For Bcfc

Mad Cyril

Anyone else catch Holloway being interviewed on the wireless this afternoon?

Usual mix of Mad Holloway quotes. Yet when asked to comment on the performance of Johnson and the chances of his rivals making the play offs, he let his guard down, and said he wished they would do well. It pains him that the west country does not have the chance to see the likes of Man U and Liverpool down here. He has seen plenty of Premier League footy recently as a pundit, and we have the best league in the world. He also said it would be great to have a decent stadium down here, and World Cup football - 'Bristol' can take 40000 to Wembley, and there is a special relationship between Lansdown and Johnson which is great to see.

He also mentioned he was looking for a new job, and was gutted he never made it to the last 4 for the Swindon vacancy. He was not sure what caused this - if it was something he said, or the fact they play in Red.

Interesting....

Anyone else catch Holloway being interviewed on the wireless this afternoon?

Usual mix of Mad Holloway quotes. Yet when asked to comment on the performance of Johnson and the chances of his rivals making the play offs, he let his guard down, and said he wished they would do well. It pains him that the west country does not have the chance to see the likes of Man U and Liverpool down here. He has seen plenty of Premier League footy recently as a pundit, and we have the best league in the world. He also said it would be great to have a decent stadium down here, and World Cup football - 'Bristol' can take 40000 to Wembley, and there is a special relationship between Lansdown and Johnson which is great to see.

He also mentioned he was looking for a new job, and was gutted he never made it to the last 4 for the Swindon vacancy. He was not sure what caused this - if it was something he said, or the fact they play in Red.

Interesting....

I am surprised he made it to the last 4.. unless of course only 4 applied :noexpression:

He has jumped ship too many times.. he is not an untainted choice anymore.

Pulis was a disastrous decision.., City will not make that mistake again in our life time.

I am surprised he made it to the last 4.. unless of course only 4 applied :noexpression:

Pulis was a disastrous decision.., City will not make that mistake again in our life time.

I still believe Holloway is a good manager and imagine he would have done a good job with Swindon. I think Wilson may do ultimately but a relegation fight isn't Wilson's type of job.

Pulis worked out badly but it's hard to say we'll never made that mistake again. There's a lot of luck in whether or not a manager works out or not. Pulis did great at Gillingham and has done brilliantly at Stoke.

Thats me point Perce....all hires are made with the best intentions...Just as likely to make a horlicks of it when we have to replace Johnson

Thats me point Perce....all hires are made with the best intentions...Just as likely to make a horlicks of it when we have to replace Johnson

If or when Johnson leaves I am sure we will be a better prospect than before he arrived.

So without doubt a better quality established manager would apply for the post than would have applied before Johnson lifted us.

Ideally I would like to see us hit the Prem with Johnson at the helm and consolidate our place as the relationship between Manager, Players, Chairman and Fans looks as solid as you could get.

Sacked from the gas; sacked from QPR; sacked from Leicester. He has jumped ship once - at Plymouth - and to be fair, can you blame him? Look at them now. He was going to a bigger club with Leicester.

Pulis was disastrous, but I wouldn't compare him and Holloway. At least he's a Bristol bloke who's honest, trustworthy and wears his heart on his sleeve. You would believe he would do the best for City, even if he doesn't love us. You could never believe that about Pulis. He always came across as shifty and duplicitous. Having said all that, there are better managers out there that we would go for than Holloway - he's probably better off sticking to punditry now.

Sacked from the gas; sacked from QPR; sacked from Leicester.

I think that's the main reason he's unlikely to be seriously considered for the city job in the near future rather than anything else. I don't really mind Holloway, some of what he says is quite amusing and it's always nice to hear a bristolian voice on the tv/radio. I do think that he talks a bit too much when he's summarising and ends up cutting off the main commentator but he seems like a decent enough bloke.

Sacked from the gas; sacked from QPR; sacked from Leicester. He has jumped ship once - at Plymouth - and to be fair, can you blame him? Look at them now. He was going to a bigger club with Leicester.

Pulis was disastrous, but I wouldn't compare him and Holloway. At least he's a Bristol bloke who's honest, trustworthy and wears his heart on his sleeve. You would believe he would do the best for City, even if he doesn't love us. You could never believe that about Pulis. He always came across as shifty and duplicitous. Having said all that, there are better managers out there that we would go for than Holloway - he's probably better off sticking to punditry now.

I heard he was originally put on gardening leave by QPR, before being sacked for applying for the Leicester job behind his current boards (QPR) back.

For me the answer is no, one gashead in the nest was more then enough.

Some people may disagree with me, in fact I'm sure MOST people will disagree....

but if Johnson ever left anytime soon for whatever reason, then I wouldnt be against Graham Taylor as manager.

There is no arguing what he acheieved at Watford and his knowledge of the Championship and the Premier League is first class. He might come accross as a prized Turnip sometimes but I believe he is a quality manager and we would be foolish to overlook him.

Some people may disagree with me, in fact I'm sure MOST people will disagree....

but if Johnson ever left anytime soon for whatever reason, then I wouldnt be against Graham Taylor as manager.

There is no arguing what he acheieved at Watford and his knowledge of the Championship and the Premier League is first class. He might come accross as a prized Turnip sometimes but I believe he is a quality manager and we would be foolish to overlook him.

Warnock or Coppell for me

Before Maurice Malpas was sent packing, Mr. Holloway was for some reason in the Town End (not scouting) taking in a Town game. I guess it was seen as an attempt to ruffle feathers. I've heard that he also completely bombed during the interview process - but I don't know whether that's true or not.

If it makes him feel any better, none of the 'last 4' came in either.

That particular managerial hunt was by all accounts a total calamity - much like our season.

Ho-Hum.

Before Maurice Malpas was sent packing, Mr. Holloway was for some reason in the Town End (not scouting) taking in a Town game. I guess it was seen as an attempt to ruffle feathers. I've heard that he also completely bombed during the interview process - but I don't know whether that's true or not.

If it makes him feel any better, none of the 'last 4' came in either.

That particular managerial hunt was by all accounts a total calamity - much like our season. recent history.

Ho-Hum.

I heard he was originally put on gardening leave by QPR, before being sacked for applying for the Leicester job behind his current boards (QPR) back.

He was put on gardening leave by QPR - but that was years before the Leicester job. He was Plymouth boss for sometime in between. It was there he was chatting to Leicester behind the board's back.

The 'gardening leave' was an excuse because he wasn't doing well at QPR and they wanted rid.

Don't get me wrong, I think there are dozens of better managers out there we would go for before he ever came into the frame. But having met the guy and heard him speak, he's honourable, passionate and believable - nothing like Pulis. I'm not saying he should be our boss - he's been sacked three times! - just that sometimes your enemies aren't always the complete 'c u next tuesdays' you want them to be.

He was put on gardening leave by QPR - but that was years before the Leicester job. He was Plymouth boss for sometime in between. It was there he was chatting to Leicester behind the board's back.

The 'gardening leave' was an excuse because he wasn't doing well at QPR and they wanted rid.

Don't get me wrong, I think there are dozens of better managers out there we would go for before he ever came into the frame. But having met the guy and heard him speak, he's honourable, passionate and believable - nothing like Pulis. I'm not saying he should be our boss - he's been sacked three times! - just that sometimes your enemies aren't always the complete 'c u next tuesdays' you want them to be.

Red mat, happy to stand corrected if he only jumped ship once. Frankly, however, once is one too many. he was sacked how many times?.. lost count.. also a negative for me.

I personally do not think any City board would be foolish enough to overlook a potential gaffer simply because of his Gas roots BUT it would take a very brave decision to bring such a candidate in and I do not think this board would make such a move nor a future board. Only time will tell.

I believe and hope GJ will be with us for a very long time to come so this discussion can be re-visited in about 2020.

Red mat, happy to stand corrected if he only jumped ship once. Frankly, however, once is one too many. he was sacked how many times?.. lost count.. also a negative for me.

I am struggling to think how else you move on from clubs other than through the sack or jumping ship to a better offer. Turnover in that profession is quick, and only a limited few last more than 5 years.

Holloway has experience of several clubs, and that may be a good thing on the CV for a potential employer in the future.

I did not take his words as meaning he would love to work at City, just that he was now big enough to realise it was better to have one team doing well in the West Country than none.

Just to put a couple of things straight. I think that most Rangers fans believe that Ollie had reached his managerial peak by taking us to middle of the table in the championship. He then seemed to struggle to take the club any further and a bad run of results saw us drop down the table playing some dire football along the way. Leicester then approached our chairman to ask if they could speak to Ollie, this message was passed on to Ollie and he went up to Leicester for a chat. The chairmen then put Ollie on garden leave as he saw this as being disloyal to the club and after several months of he found himself hired by Plymouth. All in all, Ollie done a good job for us and does wear his heart on his sleeve but is let down big time by his tactical nous, probably one of the reasons he didn't get a look in at Swindon. If / when Gary Johnson does leave you (Personally I'd love him to be our manager) Ollie would be a big step back, unless you are happy to settle for mid championship mediocrity.

Good luck for the remainder of the season (after saturday).

I personally do not think any City board would be foolish enough to overlook a potential gaffer simply because of his Gas roots BUT it would take a very brave decision to bring such a candidate in and I do not think this board would make such a move nor a future board. Only time will tell.

I believe and hope GJ will be with us for a very long time to come so this discussion can be re-visited in about 2020.

Did our very own Gary Johnson not jump ship to come to us?

Just to put a couple of things straight. I think that most Rangers fans believe that Ollie had reached his managerial peak by taking us to middle of the table in the championship. He then seemed to struggle to take the club any further and a bad run of results saw us drop down the table playing some dire football along the way. Leicester then approached our chairman to ask if they could speak to Ollie, this message was passed on to Ollie and he went up to Leicester for a chat. The chairmen then put Ollie on garden leave as he saw this as being disloyal to the club and after several months of he found himself hired by Plymouth. All in all, Ollie done a good job for us and does wear his heart on his sleeve but is let down big time by his tactical nous, probably one of the reasons he didn't get a look in at Swindon. If / when Gary Johnson does leave you (Personally I'd love him to be our manager) Ollie would be a big step back, unless you are happy to settle for mid championship mediocrity.

Good luck for the remainder of the season (after saturday).

Rain will start falling upwards before Holloway is given a job by bcfc

Why not give him a Job?

Not manager I agree but he is local with good local connections & knowledge so get him sniffing out local talent that we appear to miss out on......

Penrice found the players for Holloway....

give a penrice a job?

Why not give him a Job?

Not manager I agree but he is local with good local connections & knowledge so get him sniffing out local talent that we appear to miss out on......

I'm not sure if he could add to our scouting knowledge or coaching set up that the club already have.

I'd be very worried that his clowning about in the media would undermine the gaffer.

Guest MaloneFM
then I wouldnt be against Graham Taylor as manager.

Come Elfie, sit on uncles knee.

You see Graham Taylor would be a very good choice about 20 years ago I totally agree. He is a very good pundit but the game has moved on beyond him now. The changing of the guard came when Cloughie got Forest relegated on his last day in the job.

His England career was dogged by injuries and idiots who didn't agree with his appointment and were after him from day one.

A chum of mine (Watford) said Taylor was to retire from Watford and get a job as football director or suchlike in two years time. Christmas at the end of the first year they were creaking and by february they we in freefall. It was pretty clear he had lost the dressing room and they thought it was the end of term.

The date of the reirement was hastily shifted forwards to the end of that season and he went with a far old bit of fanfare. Vialli and Willkins then took over and wern't much better. He resurfaced again at Villa then Wolves ( I remember his press conference...'I am the manager of THE Wolves...THE Wolves' quite) and didn't really set the world on fire there.

He is the most promoted manager in English football and lives by the long ball game. He is also one of the nicest blokes I have ever met. But as I said the world has moved on.

His kids are deaf!!!

And your point is!

I hope this ain't some sort of dig at someone with children who have a disability, because in my book although I don't paticulary like the guy, bringing his family into the equation has no baring on my oppinion of him and is not really appropriate.

Archived