IGNORED

Thank You Gary Johnson

Tales From The Front

Granted as I don't hear all of them as I do my fair share of away games but the interview I have just been listening to was a very honest and open interview from the main man.......and I thank him for it.

Although talking specificaly about today a lot of the theme of the interview is relevant to the poorer patches of this season. Lack of creativity, "lumping" the ball forward and perhaps most intersting a lack of runners into the final third (no Gavin Williams). This for me highlights the most important issue moving forward, how and will Gary address these issues so that the City we see at their best is what we see perhaps a little more often? I would optimiscaly at this stage say hopefully yes!

The fact that he is prepared to acknowledge this pubilicaly is a good sign and shows that he is honest enough to tell it as it is. I also liked the point he made that you cannot judge what we did four games ago but what we did today that counts, which has to the mentality if the club is ging to grow in the way that both the manager and Steve Landsdown want. I am sure we will see the changes necessary to continue the excellant forward momentum of the last three seasons.

This season, certianly post Christmas, has been succesful and has provided an valuable insight as to where the club goes next. But the managers observations will need to be implimented if the club is to continue to match our lofty ambission.

Credit where it is due, an excellant interview when clearly disspointed which just shows the stature of the man.

The people who just text in twentyman saying johnson has taken city as far as he can. shut up. He is the best manager we have had in a while. He isn't a miracle worker.

And if you boo'd Lee Johnson today you are an embarrassment to the club!

Totaly agree that its a totaly irrational response to call for the managers head...ridiculous in fact. The club continues to grow and he is one of the main reasons for it.

The manager is recognising where the team needs to be improved and taking into account how important today's game was, you could sense his disapointment. I personaly think a lot of good will come out of this day and match, if I am reading his interview correctly, he will makes changes, he has certianly earned the chance to impliment the next stage of the teams devlopment and for any fan not to give him that opportunity is disrespctfull and irrisponsiable.

This comes from someone who likes to tell it as I see it, even when that point of view deviates from the "party line".

The people who just text in twentyman saying johnson has taken city as far as he can. shut up. He is the best manager we have had in a while. He isn't a miracle worker.

I smell G*s!

I was one of the many (sensible?) people that got shot down at the start of the season for saying I'd happily settle for top 10 this season. For us to be top half in our first 2 seasons back at this level is fantastic, I don't remember the dark, dark days - but I've seen enough Div 3 football to last me a lifetime. GJ is doing a terrific job, we are mixing it with some far bigger clubs and we're not showing ourselves up in the slightest. I didn't hear the interview, but I'm glad GJ is happy to point out the faults, what must happen this summer is that the faults are corrected. They weren't last summer for one reason or another, and that has contributed to a good season this time around not being a fantastic season.

The pray offs are out of reach now I think, lets give James Wilson a game, Ribeiro if he gets back fit in time, Artus (if he's in GJ's plans for next season) now is the time to give them a go, no pressure, just get on there and play. But, please, please, please sort out the lack of imagination and the goal scoring situation - for me this is the best team since Jordan had Super Bob, Turner, Smith, Gavin et al flying, what would we do for players like that in this team? We'd be unstoppable.

What year did Jordan leave? 90, 91? I don't want to wait that long for another crack at the Prem, with a 3 or 4 good additions I really don't think we're too far away.

Are you sh**ing me? People are texting into Twentypence calling for Johnsons head?

If its not sags on a wind up and actual 'City' fans please hang your heads in shame.

That would be OK then because Lee wasn't boo'ed. He was as well supported as the rest.

I smell G*s!

I was one of the many (sensible?) people that got shot down at the start of the season for saying I'd happily settle for top 10 this season. For us to be top half in our first 2 seasons back at this level is fantastic, I don't remember the dark, dark days - but I've seen enough Div 3 football to last me a lifetime. GJ is doing a terrific job, we are mixing it with some far bigger clubs and we're not showing ourselves up in the slightest. I didn't hear the interview, but I'm glad GJ is happy to point out the faults, what must happen this summer is that the faults are corrected. They weren't last summer for one reason or another, and that has contributed to a good season this time around not being a fantastic season.

The pray offs are out of reach now I think, lets give James Wilson a game, Ribeiro if he gets back fit in time, Artus (if he's in GJ's plans for next season) now is the time to give them a go, no pressure, just get on there and play. But, please, please, please sort out the lack of imagination and the goal scoring situation - for me this is the best team since Jordan had Super Bob, Turner, Smith, Gavin et al flying, what would we do for players like that in this team? We'd be unstoppable.

What year did Jordan leave? 90, 91? I don't want to wait that long for another crack at the Prem, with a 3 or 4 good additions I really don't think we're too far away.

What an excellent post (and indeed thread). I've been reading David Woods' book The Modern Era. I was very struck by the gradual progress under Alan Dicks (and I'm an old enough fart to have been there). You can see the team change and improve bit by bit over time. The same is happening under Gary, though he is probably ahead of schedule by comparison. Unlike the morons calling for his head (any from this forum I wonder?) I'm sure the majority of us understand that. However frustrated I may get during or after individual games I can still see the big picture and while I don't think we have the resources to change things quickly I am quite happy to wait, as I did with Alan Dicks. Anyway "Johnson Out" doesn't have the same ring as "Dicks Out". :innocent06:

Granted as I don't hear all of them as I do my fair share of away games but the interview I have just been listening to was a very honest and open interview from the main man.......and I thank him for it.

Although talking specificaly about today a lot of the theme of the interview is relevant to the poorer patches of this season. Lack of creativity, "lumping" the ball forward and perhaps most intersting a lack of runners into the final third (no Gavin Williams). This for me highlights the most important issue moving forward, how and will Gary address these issues so that the City we see at their best is what we see perhaps a little more often? I would optimiscaly at this stage say hopefully yes!

The fact that he is prepared to acknowledge this pubilicaly is a good sign and shows that he is honest enough to tell it as it is. I also liked the point he made that you cannot judge what we did four games ago but what we did today that counts, which has to the mentality if the club is ging to grow in the way that both the manager and Steve Landsdown want. I am sure we will see the changes necessary to continue the excellant forward momentum of the last three seasons.

This season, certianly post Christmas, has been succesful and has provided an valuable insight as to where the club goes next. But the managers observations will need to be implimented if the club is to continue to match our lofty ambission.

Credit where it is due, an excellant interview when clearly disspointed which just shows the stature of the man.

I just hope Gary has learned not to talk about transfer targets after making statements last summer that then never materialised, like talking about having several players lined up that would really excite the fans. All that tends to do is raise everyone's expectation levels and raise the pressure the team and himself are under.

What an excellent post (and indeed thread). I've been reading David Woods' book The Modern Era. I was very struck by the gradual progress under Alan Dicks (and I'm an old enough fart to have been there). You can see the team change and improve bit by bit over time. The same is happening under Gary, though he is probably ahead of schedule by comparison. Unlike the morons calling for his head (any from this forum I wonder?) I'm sure the majority of us understand that. However frustrated I may get during or after individual games I can still see the big picture and while I don't think we have the resources to change things quickly I am quite happy to wait, as I did with Alan Dicks. Anyway "Johnson Out" doesn't have the same ring as "Dicks Out". :innocent06:

Another thing on this too. I've been amazed at how many people I've seen over the last 18 months or so wearing City shirts, coats, hats etc. I'm not a Bristolian, in reality I should live in 'R*vers territory' being north of the river. There's a lot of 'older' people around here that are G*s, but all the younger ones are coming out as Reds. That doesn't happen by mistake, there is a reason why younger kids are wearing City shirts instead of United, Arse, Chelski, Liverpool etc - it's because there's something stirring down the Gate. My eldest, she's 6, always points out someone in a City shirt (yes, she's got one!) and tells me all the lads in her class had them on for Comic Relief day when you had to wear something red to school (her evil mother, the soon to be ex Mrs Woodsy wouldn't let her wear hers!). Something is being done well when you see your clubs colours in an outlying area like this. Jez, I'd rather see a young 'un in a R*vers shirt than Chelsea. As Mr Pig says, it's all part of a gradual progress, walking before you can run etc. I'm enjoying the ride, I'm not getting off just yet!

Another thing on this too. I've been amazed at how many people I've seen over the last 18 months or so wearing City shirts, coats, hats etc. I'm not a Bristolian, in reality I should live in 'R*vers territory' being north of the river. There's a lot of 'older' people around here that are G*s, but all the younger ones are coming out as Reds. That doesn't happen by mistake, there is a reason why younger kids are wearing City shirts instead of United, Arse, Chelski, Liverpool etc - it's because there's something stirring down the Gate. My eldest, she's 6, always points out someone in a City shirt (yes, she's got one!) and tells me all the lads in her class had them on for Comic Relief day when you had to wear something red to school (her evil mother, the soon to be ex Mrs Woodsy wouldn't let her wear hers!). Something is being done well when you see your clubs colours in an outlying area like this. Jez, I'd rather see a young 'un in a R*vers shirt than Chelsea. As Mr Pig says, it's all part of a gradual progress, walking before you can run etc. I'm enjoying the ride, I'm not getting off just yet!

Fair points......evolution not revolution, we don't have multi muliti millions to throw at the squad so from a solid base we move forward, but the season has highlighted some valid points, which the manager has publicaly recognised the main one being more goal threat / creativity is needed through out the team so that we get perhaps more 2-1 victories rather than 1-1 draws or 2-1 defeats.

With regard the spreading of the gospel of Bristol City, I have noticed in the phone ins and the like you hear Dave from Kingswood, Colin from Yate etc etc. Certainaly in my town, Trowbridge there is a very healthy City following which continues to grow and grow. The club is going places....becuase of success...we all want this to continue and if the points raised tonight by the manager are implimented I am very confident that success and fan base growth will continue.

I just hope Gary has learned not to talk about transfer targets after making statements last summer that then never materialised, like talking about having several players lined up that would really excite the fans. All that tends to do is raise everyone's expectation levels and raise the pressure the team and himself are under.

Good point. Gary and Steve gave into pressure, not least from this forum, and started going public, contrary to the usual (and correct) policy, leading to some embarrassment. Keep quiet and get on with the job and ignore the amateur scouts telling you who to sign. Anybody fancy a front two of Eastwood and Riordan? :innocent06:

I smell G*s!

Great post, though i would`nt write off the pay-offs just yet. While realistically i think 6th is the best we can hope for it is still in sight and i think it`s a little to soon to be considering taking our foot off the gas by blooding some of the younger inexperienced players.

However, should results over the next few games go against then, yes, i agree the time would right.

PDG

I smell G*s!

Yep I'd like to see James Wilson given a run - about time we gave Styvar a few starts. No one could argue that our club is in fantastic shape compared to where we were a few short years ago. It will be sad to say goodbye to AG but another new adventure.

Archived